hairline breakage

cheez_93cheez_93 Posts: 12Registered Users
Hello All
I have been reading posts on NC for a while and have tried to incorporate some of the suggestions. Currently, my hair is doing pretty good everywhere EXCEPT around the edges. :cry: I am still fairly new to natural hair so I am still looking for products but I wash my hair about 1/week, and i use a spray where i mix sulfur 8 braid spray with olive oil and I twist my hair. I have been doing this for about 6 months and my edges are still VERY SHORT and breaking. I have been trying to pay extra attention to them and make sure they are moisturized but I don't see and improvements. I know the hair is growing because I had color put in and I can see it moving up the hair. Please help! I don't know what I am doing wrong but really would like to fix it.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• UneekDivaUneekDiva Posts: 24Registered Users
  • ibraidhairibraidhair Posts: 343Registered Users
    The first things that come to mind:
    1. Do you pull your hair back at all? If so, you may be pulling it too tight.
    2. Are you sure it's not new hairs coming in?

It may be neither one of these though. :neutral:
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If the sulfur and olive oil isn't working then I would stop using those products.

You didn't say whether you have braids or how you do your hair. My guess is that maybe your braids are on too tight or you'll pulling your hair too tight.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If I were you, I'd gently massage that area very often to increase blood flow to the area, stop using the sulfur/olive oil mix that doesn't seem to be helping and refrain from doing anything that would cause damage to my hairline.

Keep on moisturizing!
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • CurlygoddessCurlygoddess Posts: 287Registered Users
    cheez_93 wrote: »
    Hello All
    I know the hair is growing because I had color put in and I can see it moving up the hair. Please help! I don't know what I am doing wrong but really would like to fix it.
    Thanks in advance.

you think it could be the color causing your hair to break? Do you apply the color to your hairline? what brand color are you using? is it permanent or semi perm and are you applying it yourself?
    Thick coarse 4b hair. Holy Grail: Kinky-Curly Curling Custard. Trying to grow it to bra strap length. Currently collar bone length.
  • UneekDivaUneekDiva Posts: 24Registered Users
    Ok - Since I bumped this I have been doing a lot of different things and have noticed growth on my edges. I'm not sure which thing is the reason or if it's because it all adds up. But this is what I have been doing and my edges are a little over half an inch - when they were once non-existent:

- drink more water
    - Biotin supplements (1,000mcg) 1-2 daily
    - MSM supplements 1 daily
    - massage area every other day with either Castor oil or MN
    - moisturize the hair that is there every day
    - protect hair with bonnet or satin scarf every night loosely
    - only wear hair loosely tied up

Notes: If you are taking Biotin there is a "detox" period for your skin and some people may break out temporarily. To combat that up your water intake and take a multi or B-complex that contains Inositol (I may be spelling that wrong.)

Good luck ladies

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file