CurlTalk

Trader Joes's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner

anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
I noticed a lot more reviews on the shampoo than the conditioner and I thought why is that the case. I've only used it once so I can't say whether or not it is drying over time but oh my goodness it has the most amazing slip. I put it in my hair and it separated into easily detangled chunky curls right away. So it's very moisturizing. It's also supposed to be more cleansing than the average conditioner due to all those clarifying oils which is why I may only use it once a week but I'm rather tempted to reach for it tomorrow too. I am still trying to test my hair's protein tolerance but it only has soy protein and it's further down the ingredients list.

Has anybody else tried this conditioner and what was their experience? On the basis of the one off I'd give it an A+ since I loved the smell and it left my hair like silk. :thumbleft: Also it was only $3.99! This may become a staple.
3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

Comments

• rmc2rmc2 Posts: 349Registered Users
    It is my favorite Cowash/conditioner too for the same reasons, slip and cleansing capabilities.
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    Sweet! I'll keep using it for at least a month just to be sure but then I'll write a lovely review to spread the word.

CG since Nov. 2012

Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper

* = HG

• curry curlscurry curls Posts: 972Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I love it too. I'd give it an A+ as well. I've used it for at least a year or two.
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

Co-wash: Deva Decadence No Poo
    Rinse out: Deva Decadence One Condition
    Leave-in/Styling: Deva Decadence One Condition, Deva Supercream, and Deva B'leave-in
    Others: ACV rinses and protein treatments

I love it too. I'd give it an A+ as well. I've used it for at least a year or two.

That's so encouraging to learn! I only wish trader joes nourish conditioner was paraben free so that I could try that one too. Seems like they make real quality products.

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

• CalendulaCalendula Posts: 60Registered Users
    We just got a Trader Joe's in my city and I'm excited to sample their hair products!
    *3B, medium/fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity, shoulder-length when dry.
    Calendula wrote: »
    We just got a Trader Joe's in my city and I'm excited to sample their hair products!

Calendula, I'm excited for your hair and your fridge! :D

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

Dusalocks, I may be wrong but for me it is more important for a conditioner to be silocone free than paraben free. But everyone is different. You can try Shea Moisture conditioners (ie Restorative Conditioner) which are both silicone and paraben free but I don't like them much because I don't think they have enough slip for me.
    rmc2 wrote: »
    Dusalocks, I may be wrong but for me it is more important for a conditioner to be silocone free than paraben free. But everyone is different. You can try Shea Moisture conditioners (ie Restorative Conditioner) which are both silicone and paraben free but I don't like them much because I don't think they have enough slip for me.

No, you're not wrong. My hair doesn't mind parabens at all. Silicones I think weigh it down but parabens are preservatives so they don't make much difference. I simply avoid them because of the increased risk of cancer. There's a good site about the subject. Google "skin deep". They monitor beauty/skin/hair care products for us ladies because the FDA doesn't. I've been avoiding parabens in my skin and cosmetic products for years actually. It's only with hair that I made the exception because Wen was the only thing that "worked" for my hair before and made it possible to detangle in the shower. Also my favorite hair serums for heat styling had parabens in them too. Now that I've gone CG and discovered all these more natural products, however, my hair has sprung up and come back to life. I've never seen it so curly. At least not since I was a child and I discovered how to "fix it" with heat.

I love Shea Moisture, by the way, but I agree with you that the slip is not so great in the restorative conditioner. I have to let it sit a few minutes. I really would like to try that coconut hibiscus one when they finally bring it to my local Walgreens. :p

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

DusaLock, happy to know I am not the only one not too crazy about the SM Conditioner. I ll check the paraben information online. I am not too informed about this. Also a good natural product that works as both a leavein and curl styler/gel is aloe Vera gel with jojoba oil. I use 3 tbsp avg plus 1 tbsp oil for my length (mid neck if stretched with finger) and type of hair (4a). Try it out!
    The coconut hibiscus milk has more slip than the Conditioner (I think). It is a leavein but the company brochure says it can also be used as a rinse out conditioner.
    DusaLock, happy to know I am not the only one not too crazy about the SM Conditioner. I ll check the paraben information online. I am not too informed about this. Also a good natural product that works as both a leavein and curl styler/gel is aloe Vera gel with jojoba oil. I use 3 tbsp avg plus 1 tbsp oil for my length (mid neck if stretched with finger) and type of hair (4a). Try it out!

Oh that is good. I'll try it out. I'm type 3A and have just started sealing with jojoba. I have some aloe in the fridge in case I burn myself in the kitchen. Hasn't happened yet. Knock on wood! It's supposedly pure aloe (although it has citric acid I think as a preservative) but it is more liquid than gel. Will it have enough hold? It's by Aubrey Organics. Or do I need to actually buy an aloe gel?

I haven't tried the style milk yet but I tried the coconut and hibiscus curl cream today and it made my hair a bit crunchy. (But really curly so it works.) I probably should've used it on very wet hair as like a leave in maybe. I really like the smell though. I may purchase the milk then.

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

rmc2, it just occurred to me to ask since you may have tried it: is the consistency of the milk thinner or thicker? I know my knot today can double as a RO as well as a LI (although I haven't tried it yet :confused1:). Is the coconut milk comparable to that?

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

• dee-naturedee-nature Posts: 630Registered Users

I agree with you both i love SM product except the conditioner and curl enhancement smoothie. Condish bc for the same reason as your guy NO SLIP wtf?! And the smoothie is a better DT than styler.

I have been tempted to try trader joes condish but just havent gotten around to it. Will try it next

Sent from my MB612 using CurlTalk App
    hair type: 4a VERY dense u39v2snfy.png

hair goal
    = WL Aug. 23, 2013

My hair LOVES oil
    :love5:
    2. "Being natural must be the new crack cus im hooked!!":afro:

“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is
    perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”:wav:

www.fotki.com/dee-nature-619

Dusalock, the consistency of the Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Milk is a bit more thin (I think) than KK Knot Today. I think it is better than the SM conditioner but I thin KKKT is better overall. As for the AVG, I use the "edible" kind for my hair even if it has citric acid etc. I figured if it is good enough for ingestion, it should be fine for my hair. I have yet to get a real aloe vera plant. For my 4a mid neck length (if stretched with fingers), I use 3 tbsp
    Avg mixed with 1 tbsp jojoba oil (or I guess almond, avocado oil etc.) on soaking wet hair and finger comb it. It beautifully serves as both leave in and curl styler/gel. It enhances my curls and gives me a very soft hold (I don't really like hold/crunch). As for the Trader Joe Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner, try it out as well. It is a good cleansing and detangling conditioner.
    For the AVG, I use either the lily of the desert brand or Whole Foods 365 brand, both @ Whole Foods. Some will say inner fillet something or whole something. I use either but inner may be a bit better. But to me it makes no difference.
    This is excellent advice. I'm still going to experiment with the smoothie as a styler, but the ingredients are so wonderful and nutritious I can use it as a deep treatment. I think I'll deep treat sometime this week then since I made the mistake of using a clarifying shampoo last night and not pre pooing beforehand. As for the milk, if kinky curly knot today is better then maybe I'll hold off on purchasing it. I already found my HG LI so why mess with perfection? :wink:

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

For the AVG, I use either the lily of the desert brand or Whole Foods 365 brand, both @ Whole Foods. Some will say inner fillet something or whole something. I use either but inner may be a bit better. But to me it makes no difference.

Also excellent advice. Thanks so much! I'll go get the one that's edible. Off to Whole Foods I go. . .

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

Dusalocks, you are right. If it ain't broke why fix it. Since u already have the KKKT, no need to get the SM milk, although the product junkie that I used to be would still have bought it. I no longer am though.
  • HouseofcurlsHouseofcurls Posts: 322Registered Users
    I love the TTT condish. It's what I cowash with. Fave.
    Rae ~ 2c/3a ~
    Wife to a 3c Curly Guy
    Mom to a straight and a curly.

"The Longer the Hair, the Bigger the Blob."

Porous, very dense but fine hair. Medium everything else.
    CoWash: Tressemee naturals
    RO: Generic biolage and generic joico k-pak
    LI: Tresemee
    Miss Jessie's Pillow soft curls, diffuse 50%, add KCCC and diffuse to 80%.
    Always wash upside down.
  • mimismommimismom Posts: 202Registered Users
    Trader joes TTT conditioner is my staple cowash conditioner. I've been using it for over a year and I love it.
    I'm so pleased HoC and mimismom and all of you other guys love it, too. I was afraid of this conditioner not getting enough love and I didn't want people to be missing out. I tried it out as a cowash on the scalp this week and it doesn't cause any product buildup so suddenly I'm not afraid to co-wash the scalp again! For realsies, this stuff is amazing.

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

Dusalocks and Co., I have tried several Cowash conditioners and frankly the best, and for me the detangling ability is the most important, is TJ Tea Tree. It does not compare to the other popular CG friendly conditioners out there
    (V05 Milk (2nd best), Tresemme (not a fan), Shea Moisture Retention Conditioner (poor slip), etc.). I used to be a product junkie but no more.
    Yay! I know! Isn't it amazing? It's my HG conditioner for sure. I think it's the mallow in there that causes my hair to separate and detangle almost by itself. (Mallow is in my beloved kinky curly knot today which I don't use for detangling really since it's my LI, but which I believe might help promote clumpage.)

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

Oh no wait. It's not mallow but marshmallow. Hmm. . .well there's something in there giving it that fantastic slip! Maybe the horsetail?

CG since Nov. 2012

* = HG

• HelloBunnyHelloBunny Posts: 23Registered Users
    I'm in love with this stuff. It has become my hg.
  • CurlsnswirlsCurlsnswirls Posts: 865Registered Users
    I picked up a couple bottles of this when we were on vacation and wow..I really love this conditioner!!! I've used it as a co-wash and a rinse out...LOVE!! Only downside...I cannot buy it locally :-(. There is supposed to be a store open up about two hours from where I live...sooooo I may have to stock up when I'm anywhere near there. Unfortunately I have no idea when the store is supposed to open :(. I'm glad I picked up a couple bottles though. They should last me a while. I also picked up the nourishing one but haven't tried it yet. I love the price of this too! I wished they sold it in liters..or better yet gallons. :toothy7: I will probably have a family member ship me several bottles :D. I cannot believe they are selling a bottle for over $10 at amazon, plus shipping!!'
  • CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    Just adding my vote for TTT. My hair tends to be very picky about conditioners for CO, and it loves TTT. It's cleansing and moisturizing, with plenty of slip for detangling. I finally got my husband to go CO (he swims 3-4 times a week, and his hair is fine and dry), and he's very happy with it as well.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
  • chloe92uschloe92us Posts: 1,203Registered Users
    I give it an A++++ too! I love the slight lather I get with it, and the smell is fresh and clean. It's cheap too....until I factor in the hour drive each way to TJ. Next time I'll buy more. The only 2 cowashes I like are this, and CJ daily fix.

Anyone use this as a leave-in?
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
    I don't think you should use it as leavein. It might give you a burning sensation with the tea tree and peppermint.
  • CappuccinoCurlsCappuccinoCurls Posts: 19Registered Users
    It is amazing and my HG conditioner! You can leave in a tiny amount near the ends but not near the scalp

Makes a great co wash !

I just wish the shampoo didn't have a sulfate.
    Current routine:
    DEVA No Poo, as a shampoo and conditioner in one (can be used on dry hair to remove build up, then wet hair and complete washing process).

DEVA One Conditioner or TJ Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner as a co-wash (1 - 2X a week)

DEVA light gel & volumizing mousse on very wet hair, scrunch with a microfiber towel

Diffuse with duck clips

HAIR STATS

*3a

*Low porosity
    *Low hair density
    *Fine hair, but lots of it