The wonders of vaseline

MipMip Registered Users Posts: 233
I love vaseline.
Maybe you do too, but for all those not fully acquainted with this underrated little wonder product, here's why I think it's the best thing since water-proof mascara.

It's cheap. That's always good. =)

It's a great moisturiser.

You can use it on your lashes and it acts a bit like clear mascara, but its moisturising too.

You can use it as a glossy lip balm, or as gloss over lipstick.

You can use it on your lips, then apply lipstick over the top. I usually apply the lipstick with my fingers. You don't have to be precise. The idea is to build up colour to as much or little as you want. The vaseline means you can smudge on the lipstick really well and it dilutes it. It gives a great effect. I especially like to do this when I've emphasised my eyes and don't want equally strong lips. With this, you can build up the colour to the strength you want. Your lips are moisturised and glossy too. It's also good if you aren't that keen on the colour of a lipstick you have. Try putting vaseline on first and build up the colour to something that's more acceptable to you.

You can use vaseline on your cheekbones.

You can use vaseline on your eye lids.

I wouldn't use it on all those places at once, but it's all options.

You can use vaseline around your hairline while dyeing your hair, to stop your skin staining.

You can use it to hold your eyebrows in place.

Binky xx

Comments

• naturaltnaturalt Registered Users Posts: 175 Curl Neophyte
    When you are sick and blowing your nose way too much for comfort you can put vaseline right around your nostrils to relieve the rawness :).
    cloud9.gif
  • SigiSigi Registered Users Posts: 2,379
    You can put vaseline on your newborn's bum and the sticky first poos will wipe right off instead of sticking like tar.
  • wurlygurlwurlygurl Registered Users Posts: 1
    You can slather Vaseline on your feet before going to bed...slip on a pair of socks...and in the morning have perfectly soft and smooth feet!
    "My karma ran over my dogma."

Hair type: 2C

Hair goop: Currently using Joico Ice Whip, Citre Shine Making Waves Curl Booster, Dove Intense Moisture S/C
  • StrawberiCurlsStrawberiCurls Registered Users Posts: 424
    Vaseline is also an eye makeup remover! Its pretty good for me because regular makeup remover is very very drying on my eyelids and it causes me to get really flaky eyelids. When using Vaseline it doesn't flake because its moisturizing.
    3a/3b mix
    5 year HG's:
    -L'oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture creme
    -Ouidad Climate Control gel
  • italiancurlieitaliancurlie Registered Users Posts: 35
    What does Vasoline do for your eyelashes? And why would you put it on your eyelids? Just wondering. :?
    You don't realize how strong a person really is until you see them at their weakest moment.
    ~Unknown
  • MipMip Registered Users Posts: 233
    If you put vaseline on your eye lids, it makes your eye shadow look all glossy. It's something you have to experiment with.

Vaseline moisturises eye lashes and acts nearly as well as a clear mascara. I like to use it when I'm going for a very natural look.
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Registered Users Posts: 5,633 Curl Connoisseur
    rockstar3k wrote:
    You can slather Vaseline on your feet before going to bed...slip on a pair of socks...and in the morning have perfectly soft and smooth feet!

I read once where this was Doris Day's secret for pretty skin. I think it was once a week, she would put vaseline all over her body. She'd sleep in cotton pajamas, wear socks and gloves. Of course, the next day was laundry day for the sheets. She's much older now but in her day her skin was absolutely glowing.

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
    I periodically use it on my hands to help with eczema. Before bed, I rub a cortizone cream in first then Vaseline on top of it and finally put gloves on and then go to sleep. It really helps slow the breakouts and itching. I found that tip in a magazine and thought what the heck, it's a cheap enough product suggestion so I'll give it a shot. Worked wonders! :D I also use it on my feet and occassionally on my face if my skin is really dried out. Great stuff!
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • stargazerstargazer Registered Users Posts: 21
    I love to use it as a mascara, I actually just empied a bottle of an old mascara to put vaseline in it!

It's water-proof, helps lashes, and AMAZING! Makes lashes seem long, thicker and darker.

XD

couldn't live with out it!:blob7:
  • VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
    you can also use it to return moisture to leather shoes.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    When my allergy-prone daughter would get nosebleeds due to dry heat indoors during the winter, my allergist recommended putting vaseline on her nostrils to keep them moisturized so she wouldn't get as many nosebleeds. Worked real well!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• MagooMagoo Registered Users Posts: 2,173 Curl Neophyte
    I met a 96 year old lady at work who had the most beautiful skin, glowing and very few wrinkles for being in her 90's. I asked her what she used on her skin and she told me she'd been rubbing vaseline into her skin very night at bedtime for years.
    Of course if I tried that, I'd get zits the size of Texas!:wink:
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • poqueeshiapoqueeshia Registered Users Posts: 10
    I am a big Vaseline user as well! I use it for many of the reasons listed: eyebrows (just a tad), lips, definitely feet, between my fingers, and any other dry spots.

It's cheap and it works! I always have a small jar in my purse.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm not a fan of vaseline on my face. It breaks me out. It doesn't stay long enough on the lips to make a very good gloss either. I do like lanolin though...it's thicker than vaseline and stays longer. Makes a perfect lipgloss or lipstick diluter. I use lanolin in the kids' noses when they have bloody nose issues in the winter from the dry heat in the house.
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
    Magoo wrote: »
    I met a 96 year old lady at work who had the most beautiful skin, glowing and very few wrinkles for being in her 90's. I asked her what she used on her skin and she told me she'd been rubbing vaseline into her skin very night at bedtime for years.
    Of course if I tried that, I'd get zits the size of Texas!:wink:

Funny you should say that because I have been rubbing Vaseline on my face before going to bed the last couple nights because I am dealing with some really bad dryness and flakies from a bad go round with acne treatment. Just in the couple nights I have been doing that, my skin has improved. And the wierdest part is that acne is improving too. I know that makes absolutely no sense because Vaseline is not an acne treatment but the spots looked better this morning. And they aren't just dried up pimples, there were some active ones too. And that has been the only thing I have been doing the last couple nights. Just was my makeup off and rub in the Vaseline. No other treatment, nothing else. It's strange.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Registered Users Posts: 3,823 Curl Neophyte
    I'm not a fan of vaseline on my face. It breaks me out. It doesn't stay long enough on the lips to make a very good gloss either. I do like lanolin though...it's thicker than vaseline and stays longer. Makes a perfect lipgloss or lipstick diluter. I use lanolin in the kids' noses when they have bloody nose issues in the winter from the dry heat in the house.

I love lanolin. I bought some anhydrous (i think that means solid) lanolin and slathered it on my hands and feet when they get cracked and bleeding. I haven't used it on my face because it's like glue and takes a while to warm up enough to spread thin enough on my face. Putting the solid kind on my lips kinda ooks me out because it has a certain smell. Doesn't yours have that, too?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file