Healthy hair But No growth!

2»

Comments

• adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Bruchilda wrote: »
    @ FireFox 7275.
    Yes I naturally have porous hair. Might be silly question, but how can I know if a semi is high pigment?? :tongue10:

Yes my bangs grow quickly but it's only my bangs. The rest of my hair refuses to retain any length since I was 15. I m in a continuous war with my hair.

BTW I forgot to mention that my hair faded every time I BKTed, not earlier.... So it could be that I could retain the color for much longer..... hmm

@ adthomas. Thanks, I know how my ends look, but they looked that way all my life, not just now I m bkting. However.... I M NOT cutting them. I trimmed about an inch a couple of days ago just to get them even lil bit but that;s it.
    If my hair is about to grow, it will grow and fill those ends. So I ll try to maintain till the rest catch up...
    If it's not about to grow....pity on me:sad2:

I didn't suggest you should cut your hair off. I said a trim. You have so much more fullness at the top. Very pretty. If your ends naturally growthinner like that then there may not be a lot you can do. Like I know there are some people who have sparse edges through heredity although people look and think it's damage. I agree with others you should try protecting your ends from the elements of wear and tear more and see if that helps. But then that would mean showing off your length less which is no fun. Do you seal your ends? That helps mine retain length. Good luck.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • BruchildaBruchilda Posts: 126Registered Users
    adthomas wrote: »

I didn't suggest you should cut your hair off. I said a trim. You have so much more fullness at the top. Very pretty. If your ends naturally growthinner like that then there may not be a lot you can do. Like I know there are some people who have sparse edges through heredity although people look and think it's damage. I agree with others you should try protecting your ends from the elements of wear and tear more and see if that helps. But then that would mean showing off your length less which is no fun. Do you seal your ends? That helps mine retain length. Good luck.

Trimming is like what? about an inch?
    well thing is, if you see the picture, all my "quality hair" is above bra strap length. So I should cut at least 4 inches..:sad2:
    I don't care if they look ugly because whenever I let my hair down I put clip ins that blend reeaaally well no one knows I m wearing them.:angel2:
    If I cut my hair on the thick level, clip ins will stand out A LOT, they would not mix..

YES I do seal my ends, I actually use a lot of oil. My hair loves anything from dry oils to body oils, mineral, coconut, vegetable whatever.
    I put leave ins, I co wash, I always buy products by ingrediends and generally I m following a CG method...
    Obviously the culprit here are hair dyes and BKTs.. And truth is I've been regularly doing them for the past 3 years.:goofy:
    Hey y all!

A little update. 4 months of actively growing my hair, 5 months dye free, 4 months BKT free.
    I ve decided not to dye again for at least 2 years (maybe the roots only), and give up bkt for at least till the upcoming summer.
    Not sure If I ve made any progress or it;s just my curls reverting and make this hemline look fuller.
    I ve choped about 4 inches those 4 months.

DSC_0209.jpg DSC_0207.jpg
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Fuller hemline is progress indeed, suggests you have healthier hair. And I am sure you have learned a lot that will help your hair gain healthy length in future.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • aspenaspen Posts: 154Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Bruchilda wrote: »
    thank you thank you thank you. Your post was very usefull to me
    I tried to think honestly all of my habits.

Many times I slept in my clip ins feeling my scalp itsing and hurting where the clips were attached. Every time I color dyed I left the dye on my lengths for about 30 minutes (which is waaay too much)... Sometimes I overdid with keratin treatmets, I remember doing 2 treatments in a month.
    But I just thought it was beneficial..
    Till recently I was sleeping with my hair down, not braided....

And I dont even want to remember what I was doing to my hair 5 years ago hahahah.

Not really sure if those are enough to hinder so much my growth, but I ll figure that out the following months

From now on I ve decided to keep my hair up and braided at least 6 days a week, no clip ins, no styling, just conditioning and oiling.
    My last color treatment was on october. I ll try to do my next coloring on March. I m black haired naturally anyways.

I just can't give up keratin treatments, damn....:blob6:
    My hair feels soooo f***ng amazing. Last treatment I did on 1/11. Hopefully I ll do my next on march as well

I ll try to keep this thread posted with my progress
    I ll DEFENETELY bookmark those 2 forums u mentioned

DO NOT SLEEP IN CLIP INS. This is coming from someone who was an extension stylist for almost two years, and has made probably over 2000 pairs of custom clip-in hair extensions.

I have seen the damage caused by them through repetitive use, which includes breakage and hair loss. You are tightly pinching your hair at the roots and which can cause stretching and weakening of the strand.

Clip-ins are fine for regular use, but not every single day and certainly not at night. You should also vary your application points so you're not damaging any one area too much.

Girl your hair does not need to look pretty while you are lying in bed, and the tugging and strain placed on your strands while rolling around is not worth it.

As others have said in this thread, BKT is NOT healthy and anyone who says otherwise is full of BS. Formaldehyde is an incredibly scary chemical and is used for PRESERVING DEAD BODIES it has short term aesthetic benefits but has been proven in so many studies to be terrible for you and your hair in the long run. For a while it was a popular nail treatment, and then it was making peoples nails fall off and is illegal in many places. We learned alllll about what kind of dangerous that stuff is to inhale or even touch at the salon I worked at. It can make your fingertips go permanently numb with exposure.

I would not be surprised in the least if it contributed to your hair growth problem, and definitely to your breakage and split end issue. BKT is not a 'naturally' or curly friendly treatment.
    3A-3B / Medium / High Density / Low Porosity
    Modified CG
    Low poo: Creme of Nature Argan Oil Moisture & Shine
    Conditioner: Curls Unleashed NB
    Leave in: Creme of Natura Argan Oil Strengthen & Shine
    Styling Product: Curl Keeper/ Curly Solutions gel
  • PseudoavatarPseudoavatar Posts: 14Registered Users
    I am not sure if anyone said this already, but mechanical erosion could also be the reason why this happens. Do you wear your hair on a ponytail a lot, either during sleep or during day? What kind of a ponytail is it? Do you sleep on a cotton pillow?

If it's just the top layers that don't seem to grow, it might be that they just get so much friction from your surroundings. They might still look healthy, because they might break surprisingly evenly if they are in frequent contact with friction.
    Growing out natural hair color and transitioning from -cones and SLS to more natural hair care.
    Thanks for posting guys.
    No its not mechanical friction or erosion. I ve found that the main culprit was dying my hair every 3 months the last 4 years and on top of that I was BKTing every 2-3 months.
    I have pretty coarse hair that is capable to withstand pretty well mechanical friction or even heat and dye if applied occasionally. I do remember I had LONG and THICK hair as a teenager when I used to keep my hair 24/7 up in ponytail, not caring the least about it.
    I am pretty sure if I quite manipulating it so often, I ll get back my once-used-to-be-long hair.
    I m 8 months dye and BKT free already, babying my hair as much as I can.
    Hopefully I ll see some real growth soon
    Update

It s been 4 months since my last shot. I cut all those fairytale ends hoping my hair would grow with full hemline but here I am again.
    4 months later and my hair grew again thin.
    What the hell??
    It may be puffier cause it s been more than 9 months that I havent done BKT and 80% of my hair has reverted. But I feel like there is no progress concerning my ends
    hair_1.jpg
    hair_2.jpg

All the fulness seems to remain in the same length, around BSL

:angry4:
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You have more than 2 years growth of hair on your head. You also have been dying and doing BKT for a lot of that time.

You may have to continue trimming your hair monthly for the next year or two until all the old hair is cut off i.e. until the hair near your roots are your ends.

Unfortunately getting healthy long hair can take longer than a few months.
    Dyes were the main culprit I believe.
    I m seriously thinking of going back to bkts. Lot less maintenance, lot less products and much more moisturized hair.
    Now I moisturize daily and if the weather, products or other factors are not right I end up with dry hair. Dry hair= more breakage= less length.

I dont feel like 2-3 heat applications per year will stunt my growth in any way.
    Curls and puffiness came back so hair should be heat damage-free (or almost free)
    It;s been a while since my last post.

I figured I could post my progress till now.
    I have totally given up keratin treatments and hair dyes. I did only twice a bkt with low heat and only 2 passes per strand the past 3 years.
    I use once in a blue moon semi-permanent deposit only dyes.

My hair now has reverted in its natural super unmanagable dry and curly state. As for the growth I indeed made some progress but I am convinced that I don;t have the genes for great lengths :cry:
    Here is my hair straightened
    DSC_0343.jpg

and combed out
    DSC_0342.jpg

I have to admit: the urge to keratin straighten my hair again is big. I miss my silky straight managable hair. My skin also looked nicer with straight hair back then.
    As long as I don;t get the results I want, sometimes I feel like quitting this growing journey...
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file