We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Can you do anything well with your non-dominant hand/side?

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,742Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I'm right-handed. But I can snap my fingers using my left hand much better than on my right. Not exactly a skill to put on my resume but whatever. I carry my purse on my left shoulder too; it feels strange on my right side. When I took karate I also felt more comfortable punching from my left.

What about you? Or are you ambidextrous?
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• Kay RaeKay Rae Posts: 41Registered Users
    I'm right handed. My left thumb is more flexible than my right so making 3 is easier with my left.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using CurlTalk App
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    I can play the castanets with my left just as well as with my right. I can't write with my left hand to save my life.

I skateboard left sided. And when I rolled my own cigarettes, I evidently rolled them left sided (it was 1996, I was at Berkeley, and I thought I was cool.... but I wasn't.)

I cannot file my nails with my left hand. I hold the file and move my right hand back and forth.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymix%2F" class="Popup
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    No. I'm right handed and can't do anything with my left unless my right is involved.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
    I can also snap better with my left hand and open jars and bottles better with my left.
    "Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    my left hand is useless. i can do more with my feet.
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    I'm guessing most of you righties don't realize it but you're more comfortable opening bathroom stalls with your left hand. In my informal poll of places I use, the stalls are most often set up to open with the left hand, I assume thinking that will lead to increased cleanliness since most people use their right hands for dirty business....

Because most of the US is designed for righties, there's a lot I can do with my right hand. Shifting gears in a car, adjusting windshield wipers, using scissors, etc. I have been known at random to write things with my right hand just because often something is set up so there is a clip on a clipboard, rings on a notebook, etc., in the way if you want to write left handed.

I am an abject failure when it comes to mousing with the left hand, which is unfortunate and ironic because I had a bout of tendonitis in my right wrist where switching hands would have been a nice option. I am better at opening gates from horseback with my right hand, and can only throw a rope with my right hand. I tend to throw/catch right handed since most of the time only left hand gloves are available.

The strangest left-side only thing I have (to me) is that I can NOT talk on the phone with it on my right ear. I can hold the phone with my right hand while taking a note on something, but the phone has to be on the left side.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm ambidextrous. I favor my right with writing and drawing because it's faster. If I worked at it more it'd probably be the same. I keep saying I will, but usually I just do it for the occasional "look what I can do" trick. I tend to use whatever hand is convenient, with some weird preferences here and there.
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    I can mouse with my right hand and open a combination locker with my right hand. I think that's about it.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    Curlyminx wrote: »
    I can play the castanets with my left just as well as with my right. I can't write with my left hand to save my life.

I read this twice as canasta. :lol: I need to slow down my reading.

NETG! I'm a leftie and the same way with a phone! It absolutely has to be on my left ear. There is no way I can mouse with my left hand either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • Like.AustraliaLike.Australia Posts: 2,544Registered Users
    I'm a righty and before I got old and decrepit, I used to snowboard "goofy" (backwards/left-dominant).
    I've only played canasta once or twice as a young girl. :)

I don't recall what hand I held my cards in. But probably my left, just like when I play cards with my mom now.

And the castanets I haven't used in years and years. My mom put me in dance classes as a child. Ballet folklorico and spanish dance.

I loved those classes.

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

• OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    dont you need both hands to cast a net?:dontknow:
    Actually, I just use a smile to cast a net.

• OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Curlyminx wrote: »
    Actually, I just use a smile to cast a net.

and i only wear a smile when i use a castanet
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    well i was a lefty forced to conform to a righty as a kid so i naturally do things with my left without even realizing it. for ex, when i was in a sewing class the teacher observed me for awhile then just blurted out "luvmylocs, are you left handed". since there's less true writing these days i don't really feel like my right gets radically more use than my left. i think i shower/clean with both hands, for fun sometimes i brush my teeth with my left.

i'm a lefty tucked in a righties world!!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I am right handed, but I do any tumbling (cartwheels, round-offs, walkovers, etc.) left handed/footed.
    ehLB.jpg
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,742Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    well i was a lefty forced to conform to a righty as a kid so i naturally do things with my left without even realizing it. for ex, when i was in a sewing class the teacher observed me for awhile then just blurted out "luvmylocs, are you left handed". since there's less true writing these days i don't really feel like my right gets radically more use than my left. i think i shower/clean with both hands, for fun sometimes i brush my teeth with my left.

i'm a lefty tucked in a righties world!!
    So strange that people used to do that to lefties...
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    I'm right handed, but I crochet with my left hand. This is because my dad is the one who taught me to crochet. He is left handed, but his tribe believed it to be a curse, so he was PUNISHED every time he used his left until he only used his right. He is now a naturalized ambidextrous person (I say naturalized because he wasn't born that way). He cooks with his left, irons clothes with his left etc. I can iron with my left hand and I can snap with both hands equally. I can't write with my left. My dad can cursive with both his hands, I think that's super cool!!!

I also wear my purse on my left side. I cannot do it on my right, it just feels awkward and it keeps sliding off.
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    I'm a righty and before I got old and decrepit, I used to snowboard "goofy" (backwards/left-dominant).

image-32.gif
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • MojoDojoMojoDojo Posts: 702Registered Users
    I am, to use the term coilynapp used, a naturalized ambidextrous person.

I severed a tendon in my left hand, and my coverage only paid for 5 or 6 physio sessions, so at the end of the last one, the therapist told me to "Do everything with your left hand that you would normally do with your right". So I got used to using both hands.

I can't write with my left, but I'm sure I could if I practiced it. It's just so much faster with my right.

Odd little story, but my husband used to be a huge pool player... the first time he played me he decided to be a jerk and force me into a back-handed shot. I switched hands and ended up winning the game. The face he made was hilarious....
    I AM THE NEANDERTHAL SLAYER!!!
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    I had a personal trainer once say, in a tone of complete amazement, while watching me workout, "Wow. You are the most right sided person I have ever seen."

Yeah, my left hand is completely useless. Though now that I checked, I snap better with my left than right.

I blame it on breaking my left wrist when I was 7.
    Eres o te haces?
  • Kay RaeKay Rae Posts: 41Registered Users
    I had to start using my left more when i cut my right index finger (8 stitches and a splint) a few years ago and kept one or two lefty tasks. I had a teacher in high school that was born left but forced to use his right, so uses both. He told us a story about trying to impress his wife by writing his name with one hand and then her name with the other, only to have her turn around and write his name with one and hers with the other in cursive simultaneously.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using CurlTalk App
    I played softball and hockey lefty too. If I have to scratch my back its almost always with my left. That's a weird one.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• maria_imaria_i Posts: 1,761Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I used to be able to do several things with my non-dominant hand. I was able to draw and write pretty well!
    Now, I can do nothing, and I mean that.
    It sometimes helps me carrying bags or opening a jar, but it ' s almost useless.
    3a/b, CG mostly.
    Mexico City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    I am also naturally ambidextrous. I write and eat with my left hand, but I cut, throw, golf, and bat right handed. I also play tennis with both hands, instead of hitting the ball back hand with one hand, I switch the racket to my other hand.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    I played softball and hockey lefty too. If I have to scratch my back its almost always with my left. That's a weird one.
    Not weird, I can reach all my back with my left hand, my right hand fails at this.

But I played rounders (kinda like softball) and field hockey righty.
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • Fantastic1221Fantastic1221 Posts: 356Registered Users
    Peel oranges
    coilynapp wrote: »
    Not weird, I can reach all my back with my left hand, my right hand fails at this.

But I played rounders (kinda like softball) and field hockey righty.
    Exactly.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    The only thing I can do is mini-golf with both hands. I didn't realize this wasn't totally normal until the people with me kept asking "wait, are you left-handed or right-handed?!" Depending on which is more helpful at the time, I switch between the two!

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • Like.AustraliaLike.Australia Posts: 2,544Registered Users
    kayb wrote: »

image-32.gif

Woot. I earned my very own gif. :occasion9:

But yeah, at the ripe old age of 28, I don't have the life-risking desire anymore. Okay, maybe not LIFE-risking, it's just snowboarding... hurt-my-butt-by-falling-too-hard-on-ice-and/or-packed-snow desire. I don't have it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file