Early styling tips

eboleoeboleo Posts: 6Registered Users
So I decided to go all natural today for the first time. I washed my hair using some Carol's Daughter products that are recommended for natural hair styles, but after letting it air dry, I didn't know what to do with it. It feels soft but, it is somewhat frizzy and part curly and part too-thick-to-understand-what's-really-going-on. :shock: So, any suggestions on how to style my hair until it gets trained? Should I twist it, braid it, blow dry it or what? I'm a bit frustrated, so please help.
Eb
~~~
4a/4b; relaxer free since Fall 2001

Comments

• LadydncingLadydncing Posts: 964Registered Users
    First of all, what's your hair type and how long is your hair? Usually, when I first started I use to leave a good leave in conditioner and then apply styling aid. HTH and Welcome! :)
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
  • katethegreatkatethegreat Posts: 801Registered Users
    Are you using a specific styling product? If your hair is kind of thick and poofy, you might want to try a strong-hold gel.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us."
    -Marianne Williamson
  • kdcreighkdcreigh Posts: 736Registered Users
    Hi eboleo,

It is scary at first, but wearing natural African hair is possible! :lol:

I'd recommend that you order some sample styling products and conditioners from www.sistasplace.biz.

Some of my favorites are [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Beauty-Herbal-Reconditioner-p-380.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-beauty-herbal-reconditioning-treatment]Blended Beauty herbal reconditioner[/buylink], [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Beauty-Curl-Quenching-Conditioner-p-372.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-beauty-curl-quenching-conditioner]curl quenching conditioner[/buylink] and styling lotion. BB products are very moisturizing, and may help you to see your true curl pattern.

If you want to do twists, some ladies use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Blended-Beauty-Happy-Nappy-Styles-p-533.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=blended-beauty-happy-nappy-styles]Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles[/buylink] for this.

For hairstyles, it depends on how long your hair is. I use a 'hair cuff' (not sure what the correct term is for it, headband?) to push back the front of my hair for my wash-n-go hairstyle. There is a picture of it in my fotki album. I strongly recommend against blowdrying, as this can damage your hair. I've never used Carol's Daughter products, so I can't comment on them.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your journey! :D
    YES WE CAN!

kdcreigh 4a and b (who knows?:dontknow:)

Relegated to occasional lurking in order to keep the PJ in check!
    :lurk:

http://public.fotki.com/kdcreigh/
    PW: natural
  • eboleoeboleo Posts: 6Registered Users
    Sorry, I guess I should've said that my hair is about 2 1/2 inches past my shoulders straightened, about an inch above my shoulders wet. My curl type is probably 4a/4b but its hard to tell since I've never really seen ringlets except here and there. My hair is fine, but I have a whole lot of it, so my roots are very thick. I haven't had a relaxer since the Fall of 2001 and since then have relied on pressing combs and flat irons for styling.

Hope this helps guide some of the responses although the ones I've gotten so far have been great.

Thanks!
    Eb
    ~~~
  • eboleoeboleo Posts: 6Registered Users
    Delete (duplicate)
    Eb
    ~~~
  • johnniegirljohnniegirl Posts: 8Registered Users
    When I first cut my hair and started going completely natural, there was a short period of training my hair to be itself. A coworker of mine just recently started doing the wash and go thing and she too had a couple of days where the curls were less defined. She and I didn't have a need to do anything extraordinary to get the curls to behave except a daily wash n go routine. I use $1.50 Blue Duchess curl activator gel with aloe and a small amount of oil moisturizer to pull things together a bit. Without the products, my hair is My coworker was using a cream moisturizer but switched to oil since the cream looked white against her dark hair until it eventually soaked into the hair. I have tried much more expensive product lines in the three months since i cut the relaxed ends off but ive been very happy with $.97 suave conditioner, the curl activator gel and $3.50 Optimum oil moisturizer.
    newly natural!!! BC - 12/9/2006

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file