We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Henna+Developer

KristiLanetteKristiLanette Posts: 33Registered Users
I want to dye my hair using henna, but my hair is black and I know it won't really show up. Could I use developer to lighten first then henna? Anyone ever done this?

Comments

• SusieSuzeSusieSuze Posts: 524Registered Users
    Since henna is not alkaline, the developer won't likely do much to lightnen your hair.

Chemical permanent hair colours work by opening your hair shaft (alkalinity, usually ammonia does this), and lightening the natural pigments (note: this does not work on artificial pigments!) and then depositing and developing the artificial pigments into the hair shaft.

Peroxide (developer) does not much lightening on its own. The alkalinity allows it to do its work within the hair..

Unfortunately f i you really want to see henna results, you'll need to lighten with peroxide and some form of alkalinity.. either permanent colour or bleach.

Henna contains lawsone, a pigment, which bonds with keratin (nail and hair protein). It will not further damage your hair and will be gorgeous over lightened hair.

Good luck!
  • KristiLanetteKristiLanette Posts: 33Registered Users
    Thanks so much!! You really broke it down! Appreciate it!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file