CurlTalk

I hate when people say my hair is...

List your pet peeves of what people have to say about your hair! Or the worst thing someone has said about your hair! Go ahead, let out your frustration! :D:D:D

Comments

• samandalovesamandalove Posts: 38Registered Users
    I hate when people see my hair and say "YOU SHOULD DONATE IT!"

My curls are the longest they have ever been, passed my hips when curly.

It's like...sure. If I decided to cut my hair, I will donate it. But why can't I keep my own hair? I don't get it.
    Type: 3a/3b
    Hair length: Hip length.
    Products: GVP Conditioning Balm, Kinky Curly Knot Today, Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper, Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee, Kinky Curly Custard, Jojoba Oil
  • virginbluevirginblue Posts: 194Registered Users
    Untidy :? My mom says this the most
    2b//high porosity//fine texture//medium density//low elasticity//loves protein
    Lo-poo: SMMR, SMC&S
    Clarifying: VO5 shampoos
    Co-wash: VO5 conditioners
    RO: VO5 conditioners
    Styling: AIF, FSG, gelatin gel, ecostyler krystal
    PT: IAGirl's gelatin treatment
  • ShubhoRShubhoR Posts: 107Registered Users
    I hate when people see my hair and say "YOU SHOULD DONATE IT!"

My curls are the longest they have ever been, passed my hips when curly.

It's like...sure. If I decided to cut my hair, I will donate it. But why can't I keep my own hair? I don't get it.

Long curls look gorgeous. Don't listen to what people say.
    For me its mostly -why is your hair so wavy??-by my mom. She has gotten used to the straight hair I had when I used silicones.

Sent from android curltalk app.
    HAIR TYPE -2a-b, black, mostly medium
    CO WASH, RO-HE HH and ENLEVEN and GARNIER RANGE
    CLARIFY- I use sulphate shampoos silicone free(diluted), vinegar rinses
    DC-pure coconut oil, olive oil, sometimes a SMT
    LI-aloe vera gel + castor oil
    I'm currently at BSL, aiming for waist length.I'm a very impatient person, wish me luck :D
    I love my flat iron, but I love my waves even more. :-D
  • ultracurlzultracurlz Posts: 212Registered Users
    You should straiten it!

it irritates me so much cause they don't understand just how much time that would take.
    3C/4A mix (Seriously it's all over the place)
    Hair is kinda fine and kinda thick.
    Super short, I'd like definition but styling products don't like me

Profile pic taken the February 2015
    Chopped off (was shoulder length) November 2014
  • princesspieprincesspie Posts: 94Registered Users
    Easy...

When I have my hair curly and people are like "I prefer your hair straight" or
    when I have my hair straight and people are like "I prefer it curly".

aaaargh...

I now go out of my way to point out to people that I like their current hairstyle!
    Hair Type: Fine, 3a
    Cond/LI: MOP Mixed Greens
    Styler: IGA Gel
    Oil: Coconut
    Overall: Just likes a bit of TLC

:love5:

• l.deonl.deon Posts: 235Registered Users
    I hate when people ask if my hair is real!
    3B Mod CG
    Medium texture/ Normal to low porosity / High density

Current Routine:

Shampoo- GTTT, GVP Paul Mitchell Tea tree Shampoo or ACV/ Baking soda (once a week)
    Co wash- Trader Joes Nourish Spa
    Leave in- Shea Moisture Shea Butter leave- in, Elucence
    Gel- BRHG

Holy grail combo Feb 2013: ISO Bouncy Creme with BRHG on top! :blob3:
  • CurlyB_CurlyB_ Posts: 126Registered Users
    I hate when my SO says that straight hair looks better than curls (often while watching tv,when we see some curly with straightened hair)

I too have some preferences that aren't compatible with what he is-but i take care of not hurting his feelings by pointing them out as they aren't changeable.

Why are some men so not sensitive to how we feel about our hair?! We are what we are,they should be glad we accept ourselves the way we are instead of being some complex filled ladies that are always reaching for what they are not and having issues with themselves and their appearence for the rest of their lives...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    ultracurlz wrote: »
    You should straiten it!

it irritates me so much cause they don't understand just how much time that would take.

That's crappy. And if someone said that to me I'd say, "You should curl yours."
  • VillainVillain Posts: 6Registered Users
    I hate when people ask if my hair is REALLY this curly. Um.....yes. It is "really" this curly. What you see is how my hair is. I don't have some kind of magic hologram that makes my hair look curlier than it is.

Off topic, I also hate when people who don't have curly hair pretend they know about it because they have a friend or cousin or whatever with curly hair. "Oh, I know exactly what you mean, my third grade teacher had curly hair!" or "Oh, you should use this product! My cousin has curly hair and swears by it!"
  • tricellotricello Posts: 95Registered Users
    I haven't gotten "you should straighten it" so much as "you should cut it". The implication is my hair is too much. I usually get this from women - they think it will be more tame and tidy if it is short. But um, no. I've tried that. It is still big hair, just shorter. Unless I use a good deal of heat, my hair will not be completely tamed. And even then, there is no guarantee. I usually want to tell these peeps, if you don't like my hair and feel the need to say something, take it up with God.
    High Density, High Porosity, Medium Texture, 3B with some kink

DT: SS DDMT - HG
    Lo-Poo: No Preference
    Co-wash: CJ Smoothing Conditioner
    RO: CJ Strengthening Conditioner - HG
    LI: CK Satin Roots
    Styler: CK Coil Jam
    Other Likes: Castor Oil; CK Twist Whip, MD CSC
    Dislikes: Wheat Protein; Aloe LIs or Stylers

• sdkittysdkitty Posts: 358Registered Users
    These days I get only compliments on my hair. (If some people don't like it they don't say anything)
    The most offensive comment I ever got was from a co-worker many years ago. She suggested (without being asked for her opinion) that I put henna in my hair and straighten it.
    My mother used to suggest i brush it. I explained to her what brushing would do.
  • atx_eveatx_eve Posts: 278Moderators
    when they just get silent and slowly extend their hand to sproing one of my coils.

my eyes get W I D E as I bend backwards to avoid their fingers lol

but one time a friend of mine (a dude) said "i really like your hair like this. it's like saying 'i dont care' but in a good way though!!"
    angry9:
    rofl like bro, what is THAT supposed to mean?
    :hiding: NaturallyCurly.com Social Media + Community Manager | evelyn@naturallycurly.com | Happy To Be Nappy | Kenyan With The Slowest Mile Time | Magical Black Girl
  • MojoDojoMojoDojo Posts: 702Registered Users
    The people who say "It looks better straight" when it's curly, are also the same ones who say "It looks better curly" when it's straight.

Make up your minds people!

I get the "Where did you get your perm done???" a lot. They look so disappointed when I tell them it's natural....
    I AM THE NEANDERTHAL SLAYER!!!
  • lovelycurls123lovelycurls123 Posts: 47Registered Users
    CurlyB_ wrote: »
    I hate when DH says that straight hair looks better than curls (often while watching tv,when we see some curly with straightened hair)

I too have some preferences that aren't compatible with what he is-but i take care of not hurting his feelings by pointing them out as they aren't changeable.

Why are some men so not sensitive to how we feel about our hair?! We are what we are,they should be glad we accept ourselves the way we are instead of being some complex filled ladies that are always reaching for what they are not and having issues with themselves and their appearence for the rest of their lives...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using CurlTalk App

Couldn't have been better said! True dat!
    Korkscrew wrote: »
    You should straiten it!

That's crappy. And if someone said that to me I'd say, "You should curl yours."

That's a clever one I'm gonna use that!
    Villain wrote: »
    I hate when people ask if my hair is REALLY this curly. Um.....yes. It is "really" this curly. What you see is how my hair is. I don't have some kind of magic hologram that makes my hair look curlier than it is.

Off topic, I also hate when people who don't have curly hair pretend they know about it because they have a friend or cousin or whatever with curly hair. "Oh, I know exactly what you mean, my third grade teacher had curly hair!" or "Oh, you should use this product! My cousin has curly hair and swears by it!"

Oh my gosh yes! "Is your hair really that curly?". Well your looking at it aren't you so it must be!

Say "is your hair really that straight?"
    Villain wrote: »

Or I hate when people say oh my gosh my hair is soooo curly and poofy when it has a slight wave! Really?!?! I'm like "um do you NOT see how curly MY hair is right now?"
    tricello wrote: »
    I haven't gotten "you should straighten it" so much as "you should cut it". The implication is my hair is too much. I usually get this from women - they think it will be more tame and tidy if it is short. But um, no. I've tried that. It is still big hair, just shorter. Unless I use a good deal of heat, my hair will not be completely tamed. And even then, there is no guarantee. I usually want to tell these peeps, if you don't like my hair and feel the need to say something, take it up with God.

I've gotten my hair is "big" or really "poofy". Someone has even made a joke about my hair to my face comparing it to some celebrity with big hair (have no idea who)
    sdkitty wrote: »
    These days I get only compliments on my hair. (If some people don't like it they don't say anything)
    The most offensive comment I ever got was from a co-worker many years ago. She suggested (without being asked for her opinion) that I put henna in my hair and straighten it.
    My mother used to suggest i brush it. I explained to her what brushing would do.

Mhmm I can't tell u how many times my mother tells me to just brush it out with detangler when I would complain of my hair!
    MojoDojo wrote: »
    The people who say "It looks better straight" when it's curly, are also the same ones who say "It looks better curly" when it's straight.

Make up your minds people!

I get the "Where did you get your perm done???" a lot. They look so disappointed when I tell them it's natural....

Yeah I've had people tell me my hair looks better straight or curly! Now most say they like it curly... And straight!
    l.deon wrote: »
    I hate when people ask if my hair is real!

Haha lots of my friends complain about that one I think I've gotten asked that a few times
    You should straiten it!

Yeah and in a way that's saying they don't like your hair the way it is! Like somebody else said, tell them they should curl THEIR hair!
  • bobbybobby Posts: 669Registered Users
    For me the one that really takes the cake is, "are you bringing the 70s/80s man perm back?" I didn't even do that when it was popular for guys to do it.
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
  • Curlee'smomCurlee'smom Posts: 81Registered Users
    Not curl related, but I have been asked ALL my life about coloring my hair. I've had people tell me that I need to redo my hair. In the summer, it is the worst. My ends turn bleachy blond, but the roots are dark. One lady swore I colored my hair. I told her over and over again that I didn't. She told me that I was lying. Ugh

In fact, I've only colored my hair three times in my life. I have only used the wash out kind that only lasts a month....red. I've always been petrified to do anything more permanent because I've heard horror stories about blond hair and dye.

My dd tells me my hair is really in style now and that people pay lots of money for it. They call it ombre. Whatever.
    Not curl related, but I have been asked ALL my life about coloring my hair. I've had people tell me that I need to redo my hair. In the summer, it is the worst. My ends turn bleachy blond, but the roots are dark. One lady swore I colored my hair. I told her over and over again that I didn't. She told me that I was lying. Ugh

In fact, I've only colored my hair three times in my life. I have only used the wash out kind that only lasts a month....red. I've always been petrified to do anything more permanent because I've heard horror stories about blond hair and dye.

My dd tells me my hair is really in style now and that people pay lots of money for it. They call it ombre. Whatever.

That whole "__ type of hair is in style now" is irritating LOL For years now I've been hearing folks say "curly hair is in now". As if a natural type of hair should be talked about that way. It suggests straight hair is normal and everything else is fashionable. Anyway, who cares whether or not curly or straight or blond or brown or red hair is in style? That's a non-compliment trying to act like a compliment :sleepy4: ... I get why you're annoyed w/your DD's remark, even though it sounds like he's just trying to be nice.
  • bobbybobby Posts: 669Registered Users
    Korkscrew wrote: »

That whole "__ type of hair is in style now" is irritating LOL For years now I've been hearing folks say "curly hair is in now". As if a natural type of hair should be talked about that way. It suggests straight hair is normal and everything else is fashionable. Anyway, who cares whether or not curly or straight or blond or brown or red hair is in style? That's a non-compliment trying to act like a compliment :sleepy4: ... I get why you're annoyed w/your DD's remark, even though it sounds like he's just trying to be nice.

Korkscrew, I can always count on you to talk sense.:) As a guy, I see a lot of going the shaved head look after losing their hair. I did that look in college about 15 years ago. We hear the "bald is beautiful" line. No thanks, I'll keep my curls as long as I have them.:)
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
  • nattykinsnattykins Posts: 14Registered Users
    I've never had anyone say things like the above about my hair... most either compliment it, or don't say anything.

However, today I went to get my hair cut by a new stylist who "loves to work with curls" and after having a discussion about how much I love my curls, how much I take care of them, etc etc etc... he asks "so, do you want me to straighten it for you?"

I was speechless.
    ~Give me a head with hair,
    long beautiful hair ~
  • curlycrystal5curlycrystal5 Posts: 5Registered Users
    I hate it when people say

"ITs messy"
    " did you even brush your hair?"

"you have black people hair"

"i like it better when its not straight or curly, but inbetween"
    *Routine*

Poo- Shea moisture retention shampoo (no sulfates)

CO- VO5 moisture milks, suave conditioners

RO- GVP conditioning balm

Conditioner- jessicurl too shea conditioner

Moisturizers- Bed head moisture maniac, bed head self absorbed.
    (discontinued :sad11:)

Leave in- Cantu shea butter leave in, Beautiful Textures moisture butter whipped curl creme.

Stylers- Biotera firm hold gel, Deva curl arc angel, devacurl set it free.
    nattykins wrote: »
    I've never had anyone say things like the above about my hair... most either compliment it, or don't say anything.

However, today I went to get my hair cut by a new stylist who "loves to work with curls" and after having a discussion about how much I love my curls, how much I take care of them, etc etc etc... he asks "so, do you want me to straighten it for you?"

I was speechless.

That's horrific. Maybe he thought your hair was too curly for him to manage. Some of these stylists are mostly dealing with wavy or slightly curly hair when they say "curly". It's possible hair as thick and curly as yours or mine frightens them to their core and all they can think of is taming it.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,675Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    CurlyB - I had the same comment from my SO. Believe me, he only said it once!

A comment I've had a few times over the years is "I bet you hate it" or "you must hate it". Umm, why must I?

(I actually don't like it but that's not an assumption I think other people should be making)
    3b in South Australia.