CurlTalk

Is $36 a good deal for this sweater?

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
EMB23804.browseThumb.a.jpg

I don't know. So many people are wearing them, I wonder how I might look in one. It was $360, which I do not even understand! But don't consider the original price. Is the price good for the sweater or can I find a nice one cheaper?
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    What brand, quality? Express has a lot like that around the same price. I imagine they could go on sale for 20 or less. If that was actually 360 which I can't imagine then um yea 36 is a good deal! I usually have to try them on - some don't cling or fit as nice to my body so I look frumpy and fatter in them.
  • TaphycurlTaphycurl Posts: 13Registered Users
    It depends on the material and how well it's constructed.
  • TaphycurlTaphycurl Posts: 13Registered Users
    I'll use this as an example. I worked for five years as a pawnbroker, so I have extensive jewelry training. When I would go shopping, I would see a lot of places mark up worthless jewelry (gold plated or gold filled) for crazy prices and then mark them down 75% or more. It wasn't even worth the discounted price, but people bought it because they thought they were getting a deal. If you are wasting your hard earned money on crap, that's not a deal.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Knowing the company as I do, it's probably very well made of a comfortable material that will hold up well. But to Taphy's point, I think the company does some serious marking up.

I figured they'd all kind of fit the same, but I guess not. I think I'll skip this. And if I still want one later I'll look for deals on the ground.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • macluanmacluan Posts: 326Registered Users
    I have a couple of these types but none of mine are so sheer that you can see your clothing through them. Eileen Fisher has some beautiful ones that you can pick-up on Ebay at good deals if you don't mind being the second owner.
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    36 or 360?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
    It was $360.
    It is $36 now.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I can make and ship one to you for much less than $36. That is if you'd like me to.
    Speckla wrote: »
    I can make and ship one to you for much less than $36. That is if you'd like me to.
    Huh wha wha? You can? You can? Really? :)
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It is the new Pantone Color of the Year: emerald/kelly/beryl. So you can't go wrong ;)

I don't think $36 is a lot of money for an article of clothing I like, so if i liked it, i would get it.

I have had sweaters like this before and I always belt them or wrap & tuck/pin them. If you do likewise, the fit won't matter as much.

It looks about 3 yds. And I'm pretty sure it's not cotton/spandex. Where are you shopping for fabric?:tongue10:

• JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    If it's good quality, that seems like a great deal. Express has some that are not even that long and they range from 40-60. And I forgot, if that's the new color of the year, then even better.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I think its lovely! I would spend more than $36 for it.
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    It seems like a good deal.

And thanks to this thread I ordered a sweater today (though not like the one in the picture at all) because it got me started looking at them online. :evil: :lol:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    To me, $3.60 is too much because I HATE that kind of sweater with a passion.

If you like it though, it seems like a deal.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    Can you link the site for that sweater, please? I love it. It's hard to find waterfall sweaters long enough.

ETA: Nevermind...figured it out that it's Misook. Damn, their stuff is expensive.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator

It looks about 3 yds. And I'm pretty sure it's not cotton/spandex. Where are you shopping for fabric?:tongue10:

Why, good ol' Wally World. lol
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd totally buy that. Love that color and style.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,780Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If its good quality, I would get it.

I really like the white one, I think it would be sharp in the summer!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    Just for some inspiration in case you were still considering it

sp-day4-denim-shirt8.jpg

Hmmm
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    The material is polyester and acrylic. I'd be concerned about it holding up over time. Now if it was made of cashmere or some other natural material I think it would be a good deal.
    hello.world.
  • NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users
    webjockey wrote: »
    The material is polyester and acrylic. I'd be concerned about it holding up over time. Now if it was made of cashmere or some other natural material I think it would be a good deal.

For that price I assumed it would be. Cashmere is worth every penny. Soft, warm and breathable Mmmmm
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif
  • fatiimahhfatiimahh Posts: 17Registered Users
    I think it is

I agree, but I'm not sure that the style of that particular sweater is going to hold up over time so there doesn't seem to be much of a need for it to be durable - I am quite sure that those sweaters are going to look like really dated trends in a couple of years.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users
    Amneris wrote: »

I agree, but I'm not sure that the style of that particular sweater is going to hold up over time so there doesn't seem to be much of a need for it to be durable - I am quite sure that those sweaters are going to look like really dated trends in a couple of years.

They already kind of do. I have a few in my closet I don't wear so much anymore. I have one cashmere one I take on trips with me to cuddle up in though.
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    I have a similar one in oatmeal right now. I say go for it (although I only paid $12 for mine)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users

So what? For $36, i dont need it to last me for 20 years.

So what? For $36, i dont need it to last me for 20 years.

Agreed - was just responding to the comment about durability. I see this as a trend that if you like it for now or are curious about trying it out, $36 is not a bad price.

.png

534Pm5.png