CurlTalk

Feminine cleansing?

heavengirl410heavengirl410 Posts: 821Registered Users
What do you use? I have been using Summer's Eve feminine soap, but I just don't feel like it is getting the job done. Sometimes during the day I don't feel "fresh", I would like to know what you use, to help with that? I remember someone mentioned deodarant crystals, not sure how to use that either? Thanks ladies.

Comments

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use Summer's Eve Feminine wash as well. I have heard that it is not so gentle on your lady parts but anything else and I feel gross. One thing that helps me during the day is to use baby wipes or the Summer's Eve individual wipes to freshen up.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I've had several gynecologists tell me not to use any soap there, as it can be irritating. Soaps, douches, etc. all have the potential to remove the protective oils your skin there produces, and to throw off the balance of the microbes that occur naturally, giving you an infection.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Posts: 2,648Registered Users
    I use my regular body wash to cleanse the area. The real trick though is after you rinse to use a finger to clean yourself out, so to speak.

Douche is a definite no-no as it disturbs the balance of healthy bacteria.
  • aptheislandgirlaptheislandgirl Posts: 636Registered Users
    CocoaCoily wrote:
    I use my regular body wash to cleanse the area. The real trick though is after you rinse to use a finger to clean yourself out, so to speak.

This is my routine as well.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    The vagina cleans itself constantly so I don't worry about that. I use a little Dove unscented soap on all the external bits.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    geeky wrote:
    The vagina cleans itself constantly so I don't worry about that. I use a little Dove unscented soap on all the external bits.

It's a self-cleanin' machine!
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    Munchy wrote:
    geeky wrote:

Just like an oven? :lol:

I don't use anything, as I also know that you shouldn't be using soaps or anything in or around your lady bidness.
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users
    Nothing. I use soap on the external bits, and kinda rinse the rest with plain water. I don't use any special kind of soap, as I hve also heard that they aren't good for you.
    :rambo:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I just use my regular castille soap externally. Any sort of deodorant soap irritates me.

I was the one who mentioned deodorant crystals can be used in that area. It's very safe and gentle. Just apply externally...rub it all around there. It will keep you fresh all day. Just be careful not to cross-contaminate from the hiney area. If you want to deodorize the hiney area too, then use 2 separate crystals and keep them separate.

Nothing should ever be used internally to cleanse...no soaps, no douches, no squirting water up there with the shower head. Any of those will upset the natural balance. The vagina is self-cleansing. Just wash externally.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,780Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    Nothing. I use soap on the external bits, and kinda rinse the rest with plain water. I don't use any special kind of soap, as I hve also heard that they aren't good for you.

Ok, stupid question, but what are you using the plain water on? I get the external bits part, but when you said "rinse the rest with plain water" I got consfused :oops:
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    I've had several gynecologists tell me not to use any soap there, as it can be irritating. Soaps, douches, etc. all have the potential to remove the protective oils your skin there produces, and to throw off the balance of the microbes that occur naturally, giving you an infection.

What are you saying? The docs are saying to just rinse the whole vulva with water...no soap? I don't think that would work for most women.

What are you saying? The docs are saying to just rinse the whole vulva with water...no soap? I don't think that would work for most women.

I don't know what anyone else meant, but I don't wash anything(with soap) other than the outside of the labia majora.
  • SaKkehSaKkeh Posts: 986Registered Users
    iris427 wrote:

Yep. No need for all that extra cleansing, I dont think, unless there is an odour problem? In which case I would think there is some kind of medical issue going on. A shower and proper cleansing down there works just fine. There are certain brands of soap that irritate me too and I dont use body washes because I just dont feel clean enough when I'm done. So a good, nice smelling soap and I'm good to go.

just curious...what are you ladies 'freshening' up for? I recall doing that when I was dating my bf and I knew we might have an imtimate moment if we met up after work, etc and I didnt have a chance to shower...but why do it otherwise? Is it the feel, there a smell? Not sure I understand.
    I shower in the morning before work and shower before bed at nights. That works. :wink:
    Yep. No need for all that extra cleansing, I dont think, unless there is an odour problem? In which case I would think there is some kind of medical issue going on.

Not all odors are medical issues. Many healthy women have a naturally stronger odor than others. We've been socially conditioned to think we stink. The big pharma companies make a fortune selling us sprays, douches and "special" deodorant soaps that just don't work, and which (in the case of douches) actually make the problem worse, and often turn it into a medical problem. That's why I mentioned deodorant crystals. They work very well to deodorize in that area, without being irritating or upsetting the internal balance.
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    M2LR & Co. wrote:

same here
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    the salts in crystals can be irritants to people with sensitive skin. i've tried every crystal imaginable and in various forms for my underarms. i've even tried different ratios of baking soda to cornstarch. the salt created a tender rash which left me with discoloration under my arms. it may be a natural alternative to combat odor, but it's not necessarily the gentlest.

i think that keeping your labia hairs trimmed low and rinsing the outer vaginal/labia area thoroughly with warm water alone would be a sufficient cleanser for most women on a day to day basis. i do use a mild soap after my period ends because i have a 6-7 day period and bleed heavily on a few of those days. i only use pads, so cleansing with soap afterward makes me feel better about all the fluid that my skin has been in contact with for a whole week.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users

Sorry if I was unclear. I have problems with skin allergies so I've had to eliminate any perfumed, dyed or deodorized product that might come in contact with the vulva or vagina. Things like body soap, laundry detergent, tampons, and panty liners. As per my gynecologist's instructions, I never directly soap up that area. I just give it a good rinse with water.

Initially I was skeptical that things like dyes or perfumes in my laundry soap and other bath products were bothering me--until I changed to all hypoallergenic products. It really made a difference! If I wash my underwear in normal detergent now, for example, I can tell the difference right away.

That's just me. Obviously not everyone has that problem so soaps might not bother many women.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I would NOT want to put any crystals or anything like that on that delicate skin! I agree, not letting too much hair grow there and daily rinsing and cleaning the outside with a mild soap are all that is needed.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

I would NOT want to put any crystals or anything like that on that delicate skin!

Then don't. But the doctors and nurse practitioners that I worked with in women's clinics recommended it frequently and it helped many women.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I would NOT want to put any crystals or anything like that on that delicate skin!

Then don't. But the doctors and nurse practitioners that I worked with in women's clinics recommended it frequently and it helped many women.

Helped them with what?
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• the doctorthe doctor Posts: 393Registered Users
    Munchy wrote:
    geeky wrote:

LOL, it is!!! You stick some baby batter in there...next thing you know you've got a bun in the oven!

:lol:
    spring1onu wrote:
    I like having something "down below"
    smurfette wrote:
    What would you call it, sci-fi guru?
    don't click this. seriously.
    Helped them with what?

With controlling their natural healthy odor, to make them more socially acceptable.
  • the doctorthe doctor Posts: 393Registered Users
    Helped them with what?

With controlling their natural healthy odor, to make them more socially acceptable.

LMAO.

Honestly...unless you NEVER wash...the smell doesn't really travel that far from the "area"...so frankly, how can someone else tell if you're having fragrant issues unless they stick their head down there and take a gooood whiff...and at that point you shouldn't be going "OMG SO EMBARRASSED" but rather "WTF ARE YOU DOING THERE?" and clobbering them with any heavy objects you can find.

:twisted:
    spring1onu wrote:
    I like having something "down below"
    smurfette wrote:
    What would you call it, sci-fi guru?
    don't click this. seriously.
    Helped them with what?

Wouldn't they be better served being told that they are normal? :? I don't see how telling them to rub crystals on their lady bidness is helpful.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    Munchy wrote:
    geeky wrote:

LOL, it is!!! You stick some baby batter in there...next thing you know you've got a bun in the oven!

0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

Munchy wrote:
    geeky wrote:

ahmcio.gif
    Wouldn't they be better served being told that they are normal? I don't see how telling them to rub crystals on their lady bidness is helpful.

I believe you posted something a while back about how women STINK at times of their periods. Social pressure to smell a certain way is very strong.
    Honestly...unless you NEVER wash...the smell doesn't really travel that far from the "area"...so frankly, how can someone else tell if you're having fragrant issues unless they stick their head down there and take a gooood whiff...and at that point you shouldn't be going "OMG SO EMBARRASSED" but rather "WTF ARE YOU DOING THERE?" and clobbering them with any heavy objects you can find.

I guess you never get any downtown action. Poor you...
    Wouldn't they be better served being told that they are normal? I don't see how telling them to rub crystals on their lady bidness is helpful.

I believe you posted something a while back about how women STINK at times of their periods. Social pressure to smell a certain way is very strong.

Women who use pads, yes. I still think that. I don't like the smell of menstrual blood. That doesn't mean I think women should use soap and douches to wash away natural vaginal odor. Quite an odd leap to make on your part :?
  • aptheislandgirlaptheislandgirl Posts: 636Registered Users
    I think if someone can smell what's going on downstairs just from standing beside you, then there is probably a medical issue that needs to be taken care of.

I have never in my life came across a female and thought "wow, she sure has a strong feminine odor". :shock:

Agent compassion is right, if someone is that close that they can smell that area, then yes, a clobbering is definitely required. :lol:

Edited to add: Unless of course, you are in the midst of getting lucky. In that case, a little freshening up would be understandable.

Do these deoderant crystals have a scent? I can't imagine anyone thinking a vagina smelling like "fresh rain" or "spring garden" would be an attractive thing.