CurlTalk

Best hair gel for 3c/4a hair -thread

Curly SaraCurly Sara Posts: 183Registered Users
Hello curlieas,

Nowadays i am searching for a hair gel that defines my 3c/4a hair without drying it out or make my hair stiff.

Any tip curlies?

I have 3c/4a (not really sure which hait category i beling to) hair whitch is highly porous and have low elasticity.

This is a picture of my hairImageUploadedByCurlTalk1356481630.430721.jpg
Hair type/properties:
3c hair, high porosity, mediumdensity, low elasticity, fine hair.

Curly hair routine/regime:
Combine the modified cg-method (low poo) and a modified tightly curly method.
-Condition and leave in: Aubrey Organics, Giovanni Barzilian keratin and argan oil
-Sealer: shea butter, Argan, olive and coconutoil
-Gel: homemade flaxseed gel, Kinky curly custard, Queen Helene Curl royal shaping creme.

Comments

• Made2shineMade2shine Posts: 6Registered Users
    I absolutely LOVE Kinky Curly -Curly Custard!
    it gives you definition, shine and does not flake up if you distribute it appropriately!
    Best way to do it is like this:
    after you've washed and detangled your hair, section it in 4 parts, then take those 4 and section them off into 4 more parts (gives you a total of 16 little chunks)
    Make sure your hair is still wet… this product works best when there's still plenty of water still in (Have a water spay bottle handy in case you need to wet your sections)
    take them one by one and apply the custard, comb it in with a regular comb and if you are feeling brave, do it with a small comb (you know, the ones they use in salons to make rollers before they put you under that dreadful drier! yuck!) I find this gives it even more definition and stretch. Finish it off with your favorite oil… I love just plain ol' olive oil from the kitchen.
    After you've applied your oil and product, double strand twist your little chunk into a bantu knot and put a baby rubber band (not too thight) to keep your knot in place.
    Proceed to the next chunk until you've done your whole head.

I find that if I leave my knots in for a few days (infusing them with oils once in a while), my hair responds better (It's like boot camp for curls… they last 2 weeks at times, looking fresh!)
    You may choose to un-loose the knots and go about your bussiness…

But if you don't…. here's step 2:

After about 2 days of your Bantu Knots and oil infusions
    when you un-loose your knots you may find that your hair is looking crunchy and dry… don't freak out (like I did…. lol) this is NOT the final out come!
    just take them out one at a time and separate them. Apply oils (olive, coconut, jojoba or shea) to the ends and work your way up to the root and back down in a stretching out motion. Take your water bottle and spay that chunk then take more Curly Custard and apply a bit, then stretch and stretch and stretch some more…. WATCH THE MAGIC HAPPEN BEFORE YOUR EYES LOL… beautiful curls will start to manifest… just keep stretching!

After your finished with your last chunk, shake your head like a rockstar and LEAVE IT ALONE till it's dry….

I hope this helps :)
    Nature is painting for us, day after day, pictures of infinite beauty. :love5:

Amnel Holguin
  • Curly SaraCurly Sara Posts: 183Registered Users
    Made2shine wrote: »
    I absolutely LOVE Kinky Curly -Curly Custard!
    it gives you definition, shine and does not flake up if you distribute it appropriately!
    Best way to do it is like this:
    after you've washed and detangled your hair, section it in 4 parts, then take those 4 and section them off into 4 more parts (gives you a total of 16 little chunks)
    Make sure your hair is still wet… this product works best when there's still plenty of water still in (Have a water spay bottle handy in case you need to wet your sections)
    take them one by one and apply the custard, comb it in with a regular comb and if you are feeling brave, do it with a small comb (you know, the ones they use in salons to make rollers before they put you under that dreadful drier! yuck!) I find this gives it even more definition and stretch. Finish it off with your favorite oil… I love just plain ol' olive oil from the kitchen.
    After you've applied your oil and product, double strand twist your little chunk into a bantu knot and put a baby rubber band (not too thight) to keep your knot in place.
    Proceed to the next chunk until you've done your whole head.

I find that if I leave my knots in for a few days (infusing them with oils once in a while), my hair responds better (It's like boot camp for curls… they last 2 weeks at times, looking fresh!)
    You may choose to un-loose the knots and go about your bussiness…

But if you don't…. here's step 2:

After about 2 days of your Bantu Knots and oil infusions
    when you un-loose your knots you may find that your hair is looking crunchy and dry… don't freak out (like I did…. lol) this is NOT the final out come!
    just take them out one at a time and separate them. Apply oils (olive, coconut, jojoba or shea) to the ends and work your way up to the root and back down in a stretching out motion. Take your water bottle and spay that chunk then take more Curly Custard and apply a bit, then stretch and stretch and stretch some more…. WATCH THE MAGIC HAPPEN BEFORE YOUR EYES LOL… beautiful curls will start to manifest… just keep stretching!

After your finished with your last chunk, shake your head like a rockstar and LEAVE IT ALONE till it's dry….

I hope this helps :)

You have convinced me :-) kinky is now on my shoppinglist. And thank you so much for the advices :)
    Hair type/properties:

-Condition and leave in: Aubrey Organics, Giovanni Barzilian keratin and argan oil
    -Gel: homemade flaxseed gel, Kinky curly custard, Queen Helene Curl royal shaping creme.
  • lashon20lashon20 Posts: 1,150Registered Users
    I love Curly Kinks Coil Jam, Lets Jam Cream Custard Gel, and As I Am Smoothing Gel.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmynaturalhairjourney.shutterfly.com%2F" class="Popup

Shampoos: Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie
    Stylers: As I Am Smoothing Gel, Jane Carter Incredible Curls, Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Hairveda Whipped Gelly
    Moisturizers: Camille Rose Moisture Milk, Camille Rose Fresh Curl
    Leave-Ins: KBB Sweet Ambrosia
    Pomades: Hairveda Almond Glaze
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    I think it is trial and error. Also li and oil make a difference for softness. I dont like kccc because it takes forever to dry on my hair. Usually I stick to activator gel or flaxseed.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • AntoniaAntonia Posts: 68Registered Users
    My hair is low to normal porosity and very elastic but I think you should give Garnier's Pure Clean gel a try. It's has lots of slip. I pair it with a level 8 or 5 hold eco styler gel sometimes.
  • CurlzGurl99CurlzGurl99 Posts: 62Registered Users
    Eco Styler Krystal:
    So far its been pretty good. I wanted to try KCCC for a while, but the price was outrageous, considering the fact that i have no money. I just mix ECK with olive oil and some curl activating products(applied and left to dry before or at the same time). When i tried all that with li, it was horrible (i mix it in my hand before) it was all gunky.... It's prbly the leave in. I might try it again. The trick is to leave it in twists if you have time. Don't play around with it. Just let it air dry naturally. I Got great results.
    :cherry:Curls: 3c/4a I can't distinguish between the two!!!!!!
    Shampoo: Mizani, Bed Head Control Freak, Pert(mixed with water)
    Conditioner: Mizani, Bed Head, Aura Moisturizing conditioner
    Gels: Eco Styler Krystal

Curl Defining Products: Curls Unleashed
    Leave-in: Conditioner mixed with water and EVOO, it's a 10.
    Oils: Tea Tree, EVOO, OO, Coconut oil
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you all!

I have heard so much about fsg so this weekend i did it. I made homemade flaxseed gel and applied it to my soaking wet hair after applying conditioner. OMG!!!! The best gel i have ever used. It didnt dry my hair out and itgave me soft and welldefined curls.
    Anyone here who have the same experience?

The only minus is that i have to refrigerate it. I cant carry the gel with me in my purse daily.

Do you now if i can add sth to this gel so i dont need to refrigerate it??
    Hair type/properties:

Curly Sara wrote: »
    Thank you all!

I have heard so much about fsg so this weekend i did it. I made homemade flaxseed gel and applied it to my soaking wet hair after applying conditioner. OMG!!!! The best gel i have ever used. It didnt dry my hair out and itgave me soft and welldefined curls.

The only minus is that i have to refrigerate it. I cant carry the gel with me in my purse daily.

As I mentioned in my earlier post I use fsg. I love it but only in the summer. I don't think you can get around refrigeration but you can add preservatives to get it from spoiling as quickly. The new SM souffle has flaxseed oil in it. That may work for you.
  • CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users
    Antonia wrote: »
    My hair is low to normal porosity and very elastic but I think you should give Garnier's Pure Clean gel a try. It's has lots of slip. I pair it with a level 8 or 5 hold eco styler gel sometimes.

I love the Pure Clean Gel in the spring/summer. I cant use it in the winter though
  • rmc2rmc2 Posts: 349Registered Users
    I too love Flax Seed gel. My recipe
    Is 2 cups water for 1/4 cup FS plus I add 1 tbsp each jojoba oil and glycerin but pure FSG is great too. You can also add a few drops of lemongrass essential oil (maybe 4) and/or tea tree, rosemary etc.
    rmc2 wrote: »
    I too love Flax Seed gel. My recipe
    Is 2 cups water for 1/4 cup FS plus I add 1 tbsp each jojoba oil and glycerin but pure FSG is great too. You can also add a few drops of lemongrass essential oil (maybe 4) and/or tea tree, rosemary etc.

I use the same recipe -2 tbs flax seed in one cup of water. I only mixed some coconut oil in it.
    Why do you use glycerin? Isnt it a humectant that does not work well in cold weather?
    Hair type/properties:

adthomas wrote: »
    Curly Sara wrote: »
    Thank you all!

As I mentioned in my earlier post I use fsg. I love it but only in the summer. I don't think you can get around refrigeration but you can add preservatives to get it from spoiling as quickly. The new SM souffle has flaxseed oil in it. That may work for you.

Thanks! Which preservatives are you referring to?
    Hair type/properties:

Curly Sara, I have no problems with the glycerin during winter. I add it just because it was in the recipe. Many say that it is a myth the say that glycerin should be avoided in winter. So long as a lot of water is mixed with the glycerin (used on wet hair after washing hair or using water spray for second etc day hair), there will more than
    enough water in the hair to "satiate" the glycerin; and your hair will not be dry.
    Some preservatives include vitamin E and some even say that essential oil like lemongrass and tea tree can be used but I am not sure. I just refrigerate mine and keep it for 2 weeks with some essential oil. I don't bother to really find out if I have enough preservatives.
    /home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thesage.com%2Fcatalog%2FPreservatives.html" class="Popup

I pulled this link from the No Fail Flaxseed gel thread. It's a long thread but a good read. Also you will see curlies of all patterns can have success with FSG. I think there are some vendors that sell it premade.
  • honeysweet20honeysweet20 Posts: 361Registered Users
    Curly Sara, I have no problems with the glycerin during winter. I add it just because it was in the recipe. Many say that it is a myth the say that glycerin should be avoided in winter. So long as a lot of water is mixed with the glycerin (used on wet hair after washing hair or using water spray for second etc day hair), there will more than
    enough water in the hair to "satiate" the glycerin; and your hair will not be dry.

yea using a product with glycerin before a hot shower helps with the moisture balance
  • honeysweet20honeysweet20 Posts: 361Registered Users
    i like to mix gel and conditioner together to create a custard. gives great lasting curl definition, easy to make, and cheap.
    i like to mix gel and conditioner together to create a custard. gives great lasting curl definition, easy to make, and cheap.

I have also experimented with this by mixing "honey suckle rose" conditioner from iherb.com (use couponcode BIF028 and get discount on your first order) and homemade flaxseed gel and sealing my ends with evoo. It gives me good results in form of moisturized defined curls.
    This in combination with a moderate tightly curly method and cg-method has so far given me good hair-results!! I have never had better hair-days.

So i have found out that its not just about the products you use but also your hair-technique.
    And its very important that you first analyse your hairproperties (elasticity, porosity etc.) before you choose products and techniques and not get so focused om hairtype in itself.
    Hair type/properties:

• BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    I like EcoStyler. But it can get crunchy. :)

💮

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4s using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2FAfroCurls.wordpress.com" class="Popup
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
    The very best non natural but CG friendly gel for my 4a hair is Hawaiian Silly Curl Activator. I have tried so many different products and it remains the best, and on top of it all, the cheapest (around $4-$6). It activates my curls like a magical wand and keep them soft. It does have glycerin but my hair loves
    It regardles of the weather.
  • AllieCat0817AllieCat0817 Posts: 301Registered Users
    Right now Im loving Wet Line gel from Sally... Awesome gel. I just got my hair cut into a subtle sorta mohawk and I use the Wet Line gel as follows:

KBB Hair Nectar
    Aveda Be Curly
    Wet Line Gel
    Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade

In love!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    The very best non natural but CG friendly gel for my 4a hair is Hawaiian Silly Curl Activator. I have tried so many different products and it remains the best, and on top of it all, the cheapest (around $4-$6). It activates my curls like a magical wand and keep them soft. It does have glycerin but my hair loves
    It regardles of the weather.

I like activator sometimes too. I actually use Long Aid as my moisturizer. :D

💮

:afro:FroZen:afro:

💮

I have 3c hair and the amazing with homemade flax seed gel is the no-crunch result!! But this gel only gives you a light hold. I dont know if it suits for 4a+ hair (?). Have you tried it?
    Hair type/properties:

Curly Sara how does flaxseed gel
    Not make your hair a bit crunch? How do u apply it. Flaxseed gel is indeed the best or among the best curl enhancers. But it leaves my hair a bit crunchy. I know many curlies dont mind this but I prefer soft hair. So I have to weigh the wonderful curls against the crunchiness. How do you apply it!
  • CurlzGurl99CurlzGurl99 Posts: 62Registered Users

💮

FroZen | Once You Get it, You'll Get it! :)

I know what you mean! I add oils to my hair before and it doesn't get crunchy
    :cherry:Curls: 3c/4a I can't distinguish between the two!!!!!!
    Shampoo: Mizani, Bed Head Control Freak, Pert(mixed with water)
    Conditioner: Mizani, Bed Head, Aura Moisturizing conditioner
    Gels: Eco Styler Krystal

Curl Defining Products: Curls Unleashed
    Leave-in: Conditioner mixed with water and EVOO, it's a 10.
    Oils: Tea Tree, EVOO, OO, Coconut oil
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Curly Sara how does flaxseed gel
    Not make your hair a bit crunch? How do u apply it. Flaxseed gel is indeed the best or among the best curl enhancers. But it leaves my hair a bit crunchy. I know many curlies dont mind this but I prefer soft hair. So I have to weigh the wonderful curls against the crunchiness. How do you apply it!

I also prefer soft hair. Cant stand crunchy hair.
    I first apply conditioner as a leave in in soaking wet hair all over the hair then i apply flax seed gel over and a little bit argan oil or evoo to the ends. I fingerrake the products in my hair to minimize frizz.
    Its important to first apply a leave in and then a gel.
    Hair type/properties:

Curlisara I ll try your tip. Thanks
  • TresKurlz20TresKurlz20 Posts: 28Registered Users
    currently I'm loving the la bella lots of curls gel but I'm still in the testing process...find a styler that give me consistent results is hard to come by.
    Curlisara I ll try your tip. Thanks

Update us! :-)
    Hair type/properties:

currently I'm loving the la bella lots of curls gel but I'm still in the testing process...find a styler that give me consistent results is hard to come by.

I know! Thats why i wrote this thread:-)
    Does any online stores which ships to Europa have the "la bella gel"?
    Hair type/properties: