I think I messed up..

smokierosesmokierose Registered Users Posts: 4
A couple months ago I decided to finally do something I've wanted to do for years. I've been dying my very fine, very curly hair red for years. Occasionally I'll put black chunks in it, etc, but I've always wanted to try black. Well it's been black for a few months, my roots are growing out horribly and I miss being a redhead! I'm short on funding, used a permanent black dye, and don't know what to do. I know going to a professional is probably my best bet, but what should I expect price wise? My hair's grown out about two inches since I dyed it and is currently sitting right at my shoulders length-wise. Any suggestions on what to do in order to get my red hair back? Anyone?

Comments

• BrioBrio Registered Users Posts: 1,432
    ColorFix.

Check it out on folica.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • SpringySpiralsSpringySpirals Registered Users Posts: 15
    I second the ColorFix. I just used it on my hair a couple of days ago and it was great! I had very light highlighted blonde hair that had ended up looking like allover color over the years. So, I tried to tone it some by putting color over it and it came out way too dark. It came out an ashy/reddish/brown. Yuck! So, I used Steps 1 and 2 mixed with shampoo and it took all the color out and left my hair in good condition. As a matter of fact, I was able to color right over it and now I am a medium golden blonde and I love it. My hair comes down past my shoulders and is very porous. I was scared to try the ColorFix, but I am soooo glad I did. Also, it is on sale right now at Sally's for $9.99. :)
    Hair type is 3a. The best DT I have ever used is the Joico K-Pak Intense Hydrator!
    Fotki password: springy
  • smokierosesmokierose Registered Users Posts: 4
    Brio wrote:
    ColorFix.

Check it out on folica.com

You really think it will work on permanent black dye though? I'm going to swing by Sally's today and take a look at it. If it's on sale at my local store it'll definitely be worth a shot. Thanks a bunch!
    I definitely think it is worth a shot. I read through all of the testimonials about ColorFix before I bought it and almost all of them were trying to remove black permanent haircolor. Most of them were happy with the results. It did a great job for me and I am keeping a box on hand just in case I ever need it again.
    Hair type is 3a. The best DT I have ever used is the Joico K-Pak Intense Hydrator!
    there are loads of comments about this stuff on folica.com, most of them are positive.

You're not ever going to get back to your natural color, but it will probably get out the black color so you can re-color.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    Yep, it may not lift all the color, but it should lighten it enough so you can fix it. Good luck. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    Awesome! I picked up a box of ColorFix ($9.99 at Sally's as mentioned earlier!) this afternoon. I'm headed out to some crazy event of the Keep Austin Weird variety with the boything in a few minutes, but I'll be testing out the ColorFix when we get back. Hopefully it lightens it up enough to let my hair be red again. Cross your fingers!
    Update! The show was awesome last night but it was really really cold in the forest so we bailed early enough for me to use the ColorFix. Let me just say, Holy Cow! My hair's only about two shades darker than my natural (central texas mud) brown. I'm stoked. Heading into the bathroom to make with the dying it red again. Thanks for the advice. Ten bucks with virtually no damage done versus a couple hundred and tons of damage in the salon? I'll take it! Gonna have to keep this stuff in mind for later. My hair feels great.

edit: About an hour later and I'm a redhead again! Woo! **does the redhead dance**
    smokierose wrote:
    Update! The show was awesome last night but it was really really cold in the forest so we bailed early enough for me to use the ColorFix. Let me just say, Holy Cow! My hair's only about two shades darker than my natural (central texas mud) brown. I'm stoked. Heading into the bathroom to make with the dying it red again. Thanks for the advice. Ten bucks with virtually no damage done versus a couple hundred and tons of damage in the salon? I'll take it! Gonna have to keep this stuff in mind for later. My hair feels great.

edit: About an hour later and I'm a redhead again! Woo! **does the redhead dance**

I am so happy for you! <happy dance>

For what it does, it sure does seem gentle!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

Great! I'm so glad it worked out for you. I know how depressing it can be when you are unhappy with your hair. So, it's awesome that the ColorFix gave you results that you could work with. :D
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    Woohoo! :D So glad it worked for you! So, any pictures of this new fabulous red hair? ;)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file