CurlTalk

my new boot! ***UPDATE***

goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
The right boot in my favorite pair is falling apart. It has been Shoe Goo-ed back together and I'm waiting for it to cure. However, I was shopping on-line for new boots. I've learned you must be very specific with what you want because below is what I got:

Comments

• claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    !!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    Oh, no! I know it didn't happen from drinking and job application, so what happened? I hope you're ok!
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    NetG wrote: »
    Oh, no! I know it didn't happen from drinking and job application, so what happened? I hope you're ok!

Now THAT would be a great story!!!

But no, I stood up yesterday afternoon, not wearing my favorite boots which never hurt my feet, and started across polished concrete floors and I thought my left foot exploded. I've broken bones before and although this brought me to the floor, it was definately a different kind of pain. I assumed, wrongly, that it was my arthritis doing something horrible or perhaps it had become gout (arthritis' even uglier cousin). I had an interview so I took a deep breath, gritted my teeth and fake smiled my way through the rest of the day. The breath-taking pain eased up to a dull throb so I just kept going through the motions.

Last night the top of my foot was bruised! I had not hit it over anything. That's when I got nervous. I couldn't sleep because it hurt for covers to touch it. This morning I took a boiling hot bath and soaked it in epsom salt. It is not swollen at all but it hurts like the debbil. So I went to the walk-in doctor's office, walk-in being ironic in this instance!

I have strained a tendon, possibly torn it. I am in a boot and on crutches until Wednesday with lots of new exciting drugs for pain and inflammation. I am not supposed to put any weight on it at all. So no cooking or cleaning for the holidays. I guess we'll have sandwiches. Gah.

If it is not much improved by Wednesday, I'll go back and they'll take x-rays, etc. and based on that refer me to an orthopaedic surgeon who would schedule surgery for after the beginning of the year. Joy.
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    Oh my WORD!!! GC!!!!

And all you did was step on it wrong?!?

I am so, so sorry and it sounds so incredibly painful. You're a stronger woman than me, I would have hit the floor crying like a baby! :lol:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    Golly!

Get well soon. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,250Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    OUCH! Hope it heals fast.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    Ugh! Hope it feels better soon.

For a while, I kept scrolling past this thread thinking "man, I really wish she'd fix that typo..." :p

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,681Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You poor thing, hope it feels better soon.

I had an unexplained pain in my foot when I was alone on a trip to Melbourne once, it was excruciating and then I ended up with a massive blister on the sole from trying to not weight-bear while still trying to get around and "enjoy" my holiday (some hope). These things always happen at the most inconvenient times.
    3b in South Australia.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,572Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    OMG! I hope it heals quickly so you don't need surgery. :( Healing vibes on the way. And ((BIG HUGS))!!! :happy10:
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users
    It must be the season for foot injuries. I turfed it on some ice and ended up breaking my metatarsals. Freaking fantabulous to have your foot in a boot during the winter time. Snow is not my friend. Snow is not my friend.

Here's to hoping your foot gets better, the drugs are good and you don't have to go and have surgery!

• NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    Ouch! I hope it heals quickly and feels better soon.

Lingering injuries are a pain in the tush.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
    SCG wrote: »
    Ugh! Hope it feels better soon.

For a while, I kept scrolling past this thread thinking "man, I really wish she'd fix that typo..." :p

:lol:

That is funny! Everything is funny today :blob4:

I am at work. I thought, "hey, a cup of chai would be awesome - how do I carry a cup of boiling water from the kitchen to my cubicle with crutches?" So I said to the lady in the cube next to me: "Hey K, I'll give you a dollar to bring me a cup of boiling water to make tea!"

Her response: hysterical laughter followed by "Aw, I'm sorry, I will make you a cup of tea!!" more giggles.

And the owner of the company overhears and says, "J - we will have to require you to punch out if you plan on carrying boiling water on crutches." and then he giggles.

:lol:
    I have a new teal cast and a new inflatable boot! I do not have a torn tendon!!! Yay!!! No surgery! I have ruptured the joint capsule where my pinkie toe attaches to my foot. The surgeon took x-rays and did an ultrasound. He said the tendons are inflamed because they are having to do their job and the capsule's job of holding the bones in place too. He froze the skin around the joint to numb it and then put 3 or 4 shots down into the joint between the bones. It was excrutiating. I held my breath and tried to focus on where the needle was going and how much gunk -- that is supposed to reduce inflammation and "fill up the capsule" and speed healing -- was going in instead of how badly it hurt for him to manuvere my toes around so the needle would go where he needed it to go. I didn't cry until it was over and then I bawled once I started breathing. He was very gentle and compassionate; it was just the nature of the injection that was brutal. He said it would hurt WORSE for 24-48 hours and to stay off it but after that, do whatever I felt like doing within reason. Now that it's in a cast, I cannot soak it :sad5: It hurts like something awful and I cannot get comfortable or be still. I have to wiggle. It was tortuous but it is starting to let up with getting the boot adjusted properly and great meds kicking in.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,572Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Oh no! Sorry you had to deal with the pain, but I'm glad you don't need surgery. I like your cast color! ;)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
    Oh my goodness. GC, I'm so glad you don't have to have surgery (YAY!!!), but hate so much that your cute little tootsie is in such pain! I hope you're able to get comfortable soon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,250Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yikes, golden! But teal was a good choice. Hope it gets better soon.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    OMG that sounds painful!!!! Injections into the feet are so painful! Hope you feel better soon. Love the color of the cast!
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    I am glad you don't have to have surgery, but yikes those shots sounded painful! I hope you will be more comfortable in a few days.
  • KurlyKaeKurlyKae Posts: 3,413Registered Users
    I had foot surgery last year, I'm glad you don't have to go through that, but what you are experiencing sounds just as bad. Sending quick healing vibes and prayers your way. I like the teal cast though!
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
    Aw, gc! I'm sorry that you had to go through that! That totally sucks!

How long do you have to be in the cast? I must say that I do like the teal! Very sassy!

Thanks everyone! I had a really rough night and did not get much sleep because I just could not get comfortable. This morning is icky but I plan to try to knit a toe covering because I cannot get a sock on and my piggies are COLD. I have to wear this cast for 2 weeks. When I go back, I may keep this one but if the swelling has gone down considerably, I will get a new one if he thinks I need it; he may do another ultrasound to see what progress I've made and if he does, this cast will have to come off. I will have to wear the boot for 2-3 months.

The neatest things about all of this:

1. When I came home, I hobbled to my recliner next to the wood stove and got my foot as high as I could. Jeri, my three legged cat came and seriously checked me out. She kept sniffing and then she'd stop and squall at me. She was concerned that I had been to the "vet" again. I swear they know the smells of any medical office! Once I had been thoroughly inspected, she got up in my lap and walked all over me murmering to me the way a mother cat talks to kittens. She puts the top of her head under my chin and bumps gently and then washes the tip of my chin. Once all that was to her liking, she walked down my legs and laid down just above the boot. She'd reach out with her one front paw and stroked the boot. She did this all over it but when she reached the spot where the injured joint is she started murmering again and then settled down and laid her head on the boot at my ankle and kept her paw on the joint and murmered and purred to it. It was so sweet. She finally went to sleep in that position and slept about 30 minutes. When she woke up, she started murmering to it again, but this time much softer and less frantic. After a few minutes of that, she came to check my chin and bump it and then she got down and doodled away. :cat:

2. The surgeon told me I would have to adjust the boot frequently to help keep it comfy but tight enough. After I'd been home a couple of hours, I got pretty beserk from the pain and kept loosening the boot and rearranging the extra padding inside it and strapping it back up. My 5 year old son kept watching me. He is highly intelligent and very compassionate. Finally he had watched this enough and said, "you're doing it wrong; let me do it." I told him to be gentle; he's almost and can be spastic and rough when he's wild. I unpacked it totally and deflated the boot. I kept my foot in the boot and K began to put the pads back on top of my foot and around my ankle. He gently poked and prodded them and scooted and tucked them just the way he wanted them. He spent considerably longer adjusting the pads then I had. He told me to hook the velcro, so I did. He then stuck the fingers from one hand down in the top of the boot and used the other to pump it up until he thought it was just right. He said, "There." OMGosh! He did it = it was the most comfortable ever! The cast didn't irritate my foot anymore! I had several hours of much less pain. Then I had to go to bed and like and idiot instead of just sleeping in my jeans, I took the boot off and changed into pajamas (yoga pants for me) and then put the boot back on. I didn't get everything just right and fiddled with it miserably on and off all night. Ugh. As soon as he gets up, I will change into jeans and I am going to have him fix it for me so it doesn't have weird pressure spots that I cannot get rid of! 8-)
    Awwww! Those are the cutest stories ever! Cute little kitteh so concerned for you. And your son being so careful, but fixing the padding just right. That's just sigh and swoon worthy. Because not many people would do that for another.

I'm super glad that you've got all the support (even Kitteh) to help make this a little easier!

GC, those are such sweet stories!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• KurlyKaeKurlyKae Posts: 3,413Registered Users
    it sounds like you have your own medical team, right there in the house!
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,681Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    So sorry you're going through all this, those injections sounded just awful.
    So sweet of your son and kitty to be so caring though - hope your son can fix it up as well tomorrow as he did today.
    3b in South Australia.
    I knitted 2 "socklettes" to cover my toes since I cannot wear a sock over the cast and under the boot. I need to post photos. They are seriously funny - to me anyway.

I drank wine at lunch today. Yes, on top of Vicodin. Not wise, but man, I feel better! Now I just have to sober up so I can drive home in an hour.