CurlTalk

It is official: I am losing my job

goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
My company (A) is being bought by company (B) and my position will officially end on the 31st of this month. I am being asked to do 2 things:

- apply for a position within company B
- continue working for the company A to help officially close it over the next 30-60-ish days.

Company B does not have my position. I will have to compete for a different job that someone else currently has. There will be 3 of us in competition for that position from company A and I have no idea how many people from company B are also in the running. I have the least tenure of the 3 I know so I am guessing I will not get it unless they price themselves out of it. I have to update my resume and apply TONIGHT. I will be interviewed tomorrow. :cwm10:

I will continue to work to close out the books for company A part time should I get a position with company B. If I do not get a job within company B, when my duties are fulfilled with company A, I will be laid off. As such I will be eligible for unemployment benefits.

I am heartbroken. I loved my job and the company. I am worried about the future and I feel just sick.

Comments

• The ScientistThe Scientist Posts: 239Registered Users
    Ugh that is just horrible. I lost my job about a year ago due to health problems and haven't been able to pick up the pieces since then, but that is largely because it ended on a sour note. At least you won't have that issue. Here's hoping all works out for the best for you.
    2c/3a modified CG
    HG product: AG Recoil... Searching for others...
    HG method: pixiecurl method of drying. I'll never go back!
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I'm sorry :( . Sending positive thoughts that you get the new position.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    ((((Golden)))))

Sending positive thoughts that things will work out.
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    I am so sorry, golden. Sending positive thoughts and lots of ((((HUGS))))
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,499Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    (((((golden)))))
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
    That sucks. I am so sorry.
    I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    I' m so sorry, goldencurly. :( What a lousy thing. I hope that you get the position in the new company or something even better comes your way. Good luck to you!
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    Thanks everyone. I had a HUGE glass of wine and then updated my resume and applied for the position with company B. I'm not certain that's the best possible way to do it, but I work for a wine distributor and am applying for a job with another wine distributor and I think it's the best way to invite karma to smile on me.

The worst part of all of it is when I have to answer the question have I ever been terminated or asked to resign. Ugh. I can't lie. So I say yes and try to explain it as best I can. Yes, I made a mistake. So did the company that fired me. The state's Employment Security Commission ruled in my favor and I was allowed to receive unemployment benefits and the state labeled it a termination for invalid reason. You can fire someone for no reason at all but if you have a reason, it has to stand up to scrutiny and this one did not. But it doesn't change that I have to say yes to that question and I am still bitter about it.

My husband is very calm about all of this. He is supportive of me totally. It is so nice to not have to feel like I have to defend myself or being unemployed yet again. Since we've been married, I have been wrongfully terminated, laid off twice and am now about to be laid off again.
  • The ScientistThe Scientist Posts: 239Registered Users
    The worst part of all of it is when I have to answer the question have I ever been terminated or asked to resign. Ugh. I can't lie. So I say yes and try to explain it as best I can. Yes, I made a mistake. So did the company that fired me. The state's Employment Security Commission ruled in my favor and I was allowed to receive unemployment benefits and the state labeled it a termination for invalid reason. You can fire someone for no reason at all but if you have a reason, it has to stand up to scrutiny and this one did not. But it doesn't change that I have to say yes to that question and I am still bitter about it.

My husband is very calm about all of this. He is supportive of me totally. It is so nice to not have to feel like I have to defend myself or being unemployed yet again. Since we've been married, I have been wrongfully terminated, laid off twice and am now about to be laid off again.

((((((Hugs)))))) so sorry you're dealing with this.
    2c/3a modified CG
    HG product: AG Recoil... Searching for others...
    HG method: pixiecurl method of drying. I'll never go back!
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    I am sorry ((((((GC)))))).
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,455Registered Users
    {{{hugs}}}
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I'm sorry this is happening to you. Good luck with your prospects at Company B!
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to them, too.

Pffffft.

So sorry, GC. :( We're all here rooting you on if that's any consolation.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,132Registered Users
    Sending good vibes your way Golden!
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Posts: 6,343Registered Users
    Join us over at the JobHunting thread and bring the wine!

I am so sorry. It's so much harder when it's a job and coworkers you love! I know quite a few people who walk around saying they hope they get laid-off or fired because they're miserable and want to collect unemployment.

Lots of good thoughts and vibes going your way. It sucks, and it's scary to worry about the future. We'll all support each other through it.
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    That sucks. I'm truly sorry. :( Hugs and good vibes that you bounce right back.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    Oh GC I'm so incredibly sorry. :(

You're such an awesome person and I hate that you've having to deal with this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,572Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    (((HUGS))) and good vibes on the way! I truly wish you all the best, I hope that things will work out for you in the best way.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,682Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    So sorry to hear this, just saw in the Dec 21st thread that you had a job interview so figured the bad news had finally come. Hope things work out for you.
    3b in South Australia.
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
    I'm so sorry Golden.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

• DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users
    Very sorry to hear it, golden.

I wish you luck with company B.
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users
    My company was bought out by a larger company. I spent the last 7 years before retirement working for them. It was a completely different company. They did things entirely different than what I was used to. It wasn't the same, but it was a job. Several companies in our area have gone through the same thing. The hardest part is adapting because as I said it won't be the same place ever again. Those people who couldn't adapt to change were the ones who found themselves unemployed. I say, hopefully, you will get the position with the new company and eventually be able to find a new home. Just remember you have to be one of the ones able to change.
    3b/c
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    So sorry. Wishing you luck.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users
    Sorry to read this - big hugs and GOOD LUCK!
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    GC, just want to let you know I'm thinking of you this morning and wishing you the best of luck with the interview!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
    They are interviewing right now. Mine will probably be after lunch which sucks because I will be brain-dead by then and me and the girl in the next cubicle wanted to go drinking on lunch. Grrr.

We are basically stress drunk. Everyone else is very solemn but everything makes the two of us laugh.

I am wearing black slacks, a dark purple blouse, a black cardigan, earrings I made and the thumb ring made from a silver handle given to me by NetG (yay! love it!) so I look the part. I know I can interview well. But will I? I hate group interviews. 2 guys from company B and 1 from company A will interview me. I know the guy from company A but we've never worked that much together and I don't know how much he knows about me because he didn't interview or hire me or supervise me.

STRESS!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the positive thoughts, vibes and any prayers!! I'll let you know how today and the future goes.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    {{{Good luck}}} and please update!!!

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You seem like a very capable and confident person. Knock 'em dead!

• scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    good luck. and don't worry about the other termination. It sound like you have a good explanation. Just keep positive and don't show any resentment about what happened. But a good spin on it.
    I survived my interview. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either. The previous termination did come up but I handled it gracefully without any bitterness and he seemed sympathetic and said he appreciated my openness and honesty about it. He said it would not preclude me from being considered!!!

However...he repeatly explained that they cannot keep all of us. I don't know if he said it over and over to everyone else, or just me so I don't get my hopes up.

I will find out Monday, yes, Christmas Eve whether they are considering making me an offer. If they like me, they will do a back ground check and drug test. All of that is fine, so there's nothing there to hold me back. But I am fairly certain I will not make it to that point since it is not the position I currently hold and there are 2 others in the running for it.