CurlTalk

I need help. Big time.

I'm fairly new to CG and I've been doing OK but I'm just lost.
I have 3a hair, high porosity, medium everything else. Couple inches below my shoulders. I'm just going to lay it all out, since I'm so lost, I just need help with everything, it feels like.
I'm currently using tresseme with aloe and avocado (it's the green naturals), as a co-wash, and Trader Joes TTT conditioner as my conditioner. When I shampoo I use TTT shampoo or baking soda/acv.
I do the ice queen method and rinse upside down, then I scrunch in a little tresseme as a LI, with 2-3 drops of GSO mixed in it. This has helped my hair a lot, less frizz. I have a couple problems here, my hair straightens out if I pull it at all, so my hair always looks stringy and pulled forward at the roots. It tangles so bad if I try and move it at all.
So then I put Shea moisture smoothie/kccc. It likes the KCCC way better. Then I scrunch it in, scrunch in some KC spiral spritz stuff.
As it dries it frizzes and it's stringy. It won't clump, it's like nasty strings.
I think I need to do a DT but I don't know what to use. My hair is easily weighed down, so I'm afraid to do anything.
Any ideas for any of my concerns?
Rae ~ 2c/3a ~
Wife to a 3c Curly Guy
Mom to a straight and a curly.

"The Longer the Hair, the Bigger the Blob."

Porous, very dense but fine hair. Medium everything else.
CoWash: Tressemee naturals
RO: Generic biolage and generic joico k-pak
LI: Tresemee
Miss Jessie's Pillow soft curls, diffuse 50%, add KCCC and diffuse to 80%.
Always wash upside down.

Comments

• mooglieboomooglieboo Posts: 23Registered Users
    Do you have any particular reason for using the ice queen method? For me, I find that when i flip my hair upside down in the shower and rinse/apply product in that position, i get much smaller clumps than when I keep everything upright and just scrunch product in from there. I personally like the less clumped look, but if you don't you may want to stop the upside-down rinsing and maybe try supersoaker method? hope that helps!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3Aish; mid-back when curly, waist length when straight
    Shampoo - Shea Moisture
    Co-wash - Alberto V05
    RO/LI - TNNM, L'Oreal EverSleek
    Styler: Left em all at school :"(
    Gel: GF Pure Clean, LALSG
  • CurlyMJCurlyMJ Posts: 193Registered Users
    As much as I wanted to love TN, my hair never looked good when I used it. But then again, I used it as a rinse out. My hair is 3a and normal everything and loves GVP CB from Sally's. You could also try switching to using the TJ TTT as a cowash and then TN as a rinse out and see if that works?
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    A few more ideas to try--have you tried doing a protein treatment followed right away by a deep treatment?

Also, try a volumizing foam, like the Deva one which won't weigh down your curls. If it doesn't provide enough hold, put in the foam, scrunch and let dry for a little while. Then after the curls have set a bit, stroke on a gel like KCCC. This is explained in "Smaster's Consistently Awesome" technique above.

Please let us know which of these methods/products work best for you. Good luck! :nike:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • HouseofcurlsHouseofcurls Posts: 322Registered Users
    Thanks everyone!! Some great advice!
    I have been doing ice queens method because I had always done that, I discovered in HS that it made my curls look better being rinsed upside down. I didn't realize it was a thing until starting CG. I did try SS method and it made me hair straighten out to waves, however it was the day I decided to try EVOO and that was bad! I'll give it another go.

I'm going to try switching the conditioners today and see if that helps the tangles. When I read that, it was like such a duh moment to me. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'll try and post a pic so you can see what is going on now.
    Rae ~ 2c/3a ~
    Wife to a 3c Curly Guy

Always wash upside down.
  • HouseofcurlsHouseofcurls Posts: 322Registered Users
    Ok, I followed some of the advice given and tried doing an upright rinse. I also switched the TTT conditioner for the co wash, and did the tresseme nourish one for conditioner. I liked that, I could actually finger comb through my hair! I also raked my KCCC and LI in, which I think pulled my curl out.
    The results were less curl but way less frizz, and no flat head! Here's a pic:
    Rae ~ 2c/3a ~
    Wife to a 3c Curly Guy

Always wash upside down.