Tips for GREAT chocolate chip cookies

roseannadanaroseannadana Registered Users Posts: 5,633 Curl Connoisseur
I make choc chip cookies to give away during the holidays and people always rave about them. In my quest for the perfect choc chip cookie, I found a few tips on the web years ago - and I thought I would share them with you!

First, you'll use the Toll House Cookie recipe from the back of the chocolate chip bag and modify it just a little bit. Make sure you get the SEMI SWEET chips and not milk chocolate. You can use the milk choc chips if you want, but they are sweeter than semi sweet and you'll have a different tasting cookie.

Here are the tips:
1) Use SEMI SWEET chips
2) TRIPLE the amount of vanilla (I think the recipe calls for 1 tsp, use THREE.)
3) MELT the butter at the beginning of the recipe. The recipe says to use softened butter, but if you melt it slowly in the microwave, the liquified butter combines nicely with the sugar and gives the cookie a nice texture. Melt it slowly, like 20 seconds at a time. Be careful not to burn the butter. DO NOT SUBSTITUTE MARGARINE. :shock: This not the time to worry about fat. :) By melting the butter, the cookies will turn out thinner than normal, with a chewy edge and a soft center.

The first time I made these, they cookies spread out all over the pan and made one giant cookie. Not what I wanted! :( Sooooo, be sure sure to make the cookies very small (about a rounded teasp) and space them out on the cookie sheet. In between batches, just set the bowl of dough in the refrigerator so it doesn't get too warm from sitting in the room. I use parchment paper when I bake and the cookies just slide of the pan. Let the cookies sit TWO minutes (this is important to getting them to maintain their shape) before you remove them from the paper. Parchment paper is not expensive and once you start using it for baking, you'll never want to be without it in the kitchen.

I like to add nuts to the cookies like the recipe suggests. Most people like the taste of walnuts better, but this is a personal preference. Just make sure they are chopped in tiny pieces.

Enjoy! discosmilie.gif

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.

Comments

• cyndicyndi Registered Users Posts: 3,341
    Yes, parchment paper is wonderful when baking. My mom has taken several cake/cookie decorating classes and I benefit from her knowledge! I'll have to pass on your tips. :lol:
    I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:
  • Little Miss Snarky BooyahLittle Miss Snarky Booyah Registered Users Posts: 452
    I've found that the cookies are even better in the Tollhouse recipe if you do two more things:

1) Add a half bag (or whole bag) more of chocolate chips. This is great if you like the chocolate to stay melty-like (at the very least it stays softer, hell if I know why).

2) USE BUTTER FLAVORED CRISCO instead of butter. SERIOUSLY!! It makes this cookie AMAZING!!

I've never tripled the vanilla. I think that a scientific experiment may be necessary now. NOT because I want cookies, NOOOO, but because science and others may be cheated if I don't try this out...

right?

:lol:
    You are an evil biatch, evil. Your life must suck!

http://booyahlicious.blogspot.com/
  • n_y_chicn_y_chic Registered Users Posts: 19
    I also doctor the basic recipe by adding extra vanilla, nuts, some coconut and oatmeal.
  • curlyjo310curlyjo310 Registered Users Posts: 11
    I ama fan of the milk chocolate chips but something that I do- is whatever the butter is 1 1/2 sticks in my recipe -I use 3/4 cup melted butter and 3/4 cup of veg oil- gives it a smooth taste!!!
    CURLS HAVE MORE FUN!!!!
    POO-LESS SINCE 1-7-04
    Curly 3-A/B Should length
    Back to Basics Condish/PM- cream/Whey Leave in Condish
    JessiCurl products: Cleansing Cream & Deep Condish (bi-weekly)
    Potions as needed from CG book!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file