CurlTalk

What kind of bag do you carry?

fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users
For work, do you carry a briefcase and a purse? A combo? Do you switch on the weekend? I have a briefcase/tote bag that I try to use as a purse as well, but it is so bulky. So, now I'm just cramming things into my purse, but that is a little small. I'd love to find a compromise. Pictures would be great, if you have them! Thanks in advance.
Hair type: 3A/B
I lurk, therefore, I am.
My Blog

Comments

• mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    i have a medium sized bag (well, a few that i rotate) that i carry for day-to-day things and to work. it is big enough for all my junk, planner, phone, a small notebook, lipgloss, etc. etc. but not huuuuuuuuuge.

here's an example of the size most of my every day bags:

985-282498-d.jpg

i have another attaché type/messenger bag thing that i use if i need to carry files, paperwork, etc. to & from work (i will usually carry it in addition to my regular bag on those days, but sometimes not):

985-305483-d.jpg

if i go out at night/weekends, i carry smaller, evening bags, like this one:

2990-321844-d.jpg

i have a lot of bags. it's one of my few vices. i like to dress in boring clothes and accessorize a lot!

m

(edited to add pics)
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• MegaraMegara Posts: 424Registered Users
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coach.com%2Fcontent%2Fproduct.aspx%3Fproduct_no%3D9058%26amp%3Bcategory_id%3D68" class="Popup

This is my current bag. Perfect size to fit file folders in and still is cute to carry.

ETA: Mine's black. I don't like that beige-y leather color.
    pw:curls

To quote wild_sasparilla:
    'Thou shaketh it a little and it feeleth alright.'
  • CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Posts: 2,648Registered Users
    Can't find a pic, but I carry a three compartment tote that is just large enough to hold a magazine.

On weekends, one of these bags
    5843_12.JPG

40212_B4BK-1_d2.jpg

6094_B4BK_d2.jpg
  • Resume WriterResume Writer Posts: 645Registered Users
    The first picture that Mayim posted is pretty much what I use as my everyday winter bag (in black). I store way too much in my bag and am constantly trying to simplify. Haven't been successful yet . . .
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    I don't work, so I carry whatever I feel like carrying. I do have a brief case style bag for my laptop. I have this one in red, though it looks more like an orangey brick red irl(which I love).
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    oooooooooooooooooooh cocoa, i love love love that 2nd bag you posted!!!

:D

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Posts: 2,648Registered Users
    mayim wrote:
    oooooooooooooooooooh cocoa, i love love love that 2nd bag you posted!!!

:D

m

So do I! It's perfect for my phone, money, credit cards and a lipstick. Just what a girl needs for a day of shopping!
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    I got this one for my birthday, but in Green and with a brown leather strap:
    this one

And mine didn't cost that much either!!!

I also have one like this: this[url][/url]
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users
    shelli wrote:
    I got this one for my birthday, but in Green and with a brown leather strap:
    this one

And mine didn't cost that much either!!!

shelli, I LOVE that bag!!

I am a total bag whore. Can you say whore on nc? I have more bags than I do clothes. And shoes. I'm out of control. I rotate them, but then they still feel old to me, and I buy new ones all the time. I generally go for larger sized bags because I like to be ABLE to carry a lot of things in there, but I normally keep it pretty minimal inside. But you never know what's gonna end up in there. Today before we went out B packed up my purse with all the books she wanted to bring with her. :lol:
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I have a lot of different bags but for work, rehearsals etc. I like the bigger size that can hold music scores, something to snack on, water bottle, etc. etc. etc. I have some similar to the second size messaenger type bag Mayim posted and some hobo bags like the first one Cocoa Coily posted. Most of my everyday bags are BabyPhat (they make a lot of great big bags) or Coach. I have one LV splurge too. Aldo also has some nice big satchel type bags that I have in different colours. Gotta look for some pics.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• FearnotsomuchFearnotsomuch Posts: 368Registered Users
    ...If I'm just running across campus real quick I stick all my cards in this: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coach.com%2Fcontent%2Fproduct.aspx%3Fproduct_no%3D8426%26amp%3Bcategory_id%3D317" class="Popup
    (Mine is black though)

For classes I still everything in either my apple green vera tote or my bermuda pink vera metropolitan bag.

My purse is also vera (obsessed? never... :lol:) and it is the Sherry bag in Pink Elephant (LOVE IT!)
    In DESPERATE need of a haircut.
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    I switch bag/purse sizes frequently. I will get tired of a big one and use a small one and then one day I will need to carry a lot of things so I switch to a big one...it never ends! i like big ones b/c you can carry a bottle of water in them.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    shelli wrote:
    I switch bag/purse sizes frequently. I will get tired of a big one and use a small one and then one day I will need to carry a lot of things so I switch to a big one...it never ends! i like big ones b/c you can carry a bottle of water in them.

Exactly. Small ones to me are for formal/evening wear. I love little clutches, but I'd never use one for every day work stuff.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    I used to be a big bag person...since lately i am alway carting around a diaper bag or tote for school i got this one...

15364_me.jpg

and fell in LOVE, i can grab it from bag to bag, keep my cell, and cards and keys (need to find a cute wallet that will fit) or just take it to the mall with me.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    deezee02 wrote:
    I used to be a big bag person...since lately i am alway carting around a diaper bag or tote for school i got this one...

15364_me.jpg

and fell in LOVE, i can grab it from bag to bag, keep my cell, and cards and keys (need to find a cute wallet that will fit) or just take it to the mall with me.

I L O V E this bag! What kind is it???

I carry all different types of bags on weekends and when travelling, etc.. During the work week, same bag.
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I use one bag, and I wear it to death. Right now I'm using an organizer body bag. It is ergonomic and lies flat against my body, either on the shoulder or worn cross chest. It holds all my money, cards, checkbook, and even loose change, so I don't need a wallet. I love it...it's the best bag I've ever owned:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lodis.com%2Fproducts%2Fproduct_detail.aspx%3Fid%3D122" class="Popup
  • CaryCary Posts: 102Registered Users
    i use a backpack. when i'm done with school i just take the books out and keep using it.

which brings me to the question: how old is too old to be using a backpack instead of a purse?
    when you hook up an EKG to a tree you'll get a heartbeat every 15 mins
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    which brings me to the question: how old is too old to be using a backpack instead of a purse?

Til your back gives out. My back can't take wearing a backpack anymore. Besides, the straps always messed up my hair anyway.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users
    (Somehow, I stopped receiving reply notifications. NC logs me out a lot.)

So far I like all the bags! Is this what it's like to have a personal shopper? I especially like the first one posted by mayim.

My current purse is a backpack, which I like, but I need to carry music from time to time, and I usually have a newspaper and a bottle of water for my commute, so it is too small. I almost think I should put a clutch or some other small bag into a larger bag so I could switch, say at lunch, when I only need my wallet and keys and stuff.
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I rotate 3 bags, depending on what I'm doing. I have a medium sized Coach I use when I'm by myself. If I'm out with both kids, I use a black stylish backpack. If I'm just with the toddler, I use my Kate Spade messenger bag.

When I worked, I used a bigger version of this.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    That's a beeyoutiful bag, H~
    But I'm too cheap to pay that...lol

0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    medussa wrote:
    I rotate 3 bags, depending on what I'm doing. I have a medium sized Coach I use when I'm by myself. If I'm out with both kids, I use a black stylish backpack. If I'm just with the toddler, I use my Kate Spade messenger bag.

When I taught I had one like that. It was just enough to hold my lesson plans and a few small books, plus I stuck my purse in there so I didn't have to transfer all of my stuff from one bag to another. I got another one, but Coach, shortly after that but it was a tiny bit too small so it had to go into my regular bag rotation.
    medussa wrote:

That is gorgeous! I would love that (except cheaper! :wink:)
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • MeghuneyMeghuney Posts: 4,263Registered Users
    I finally got my planner...(my mother got me a Monarch size one as a gift) and I just use it and the binder/tote that comes with it. It has handles and it's red leather. :) It has room for my Studiofix and other essentials.
  • sfisher323sfisher323 Posts: 537Registered Users
    Right now, I'm carrying around this (the medium zip tote), but in Army Green. I love it - it's super durable, which is good because I tend to abuse my bags; it has a zipper, which means all of the stuff I put it in (my various lipglosses and so forth) won't fall out; and I et a ton of compliments on it.

I actually have a ton of purses, it's another one of my vices, but I've stuck to this one for awhile.

I'm a graduate student, so I'm often carrying my laptop around - I have this great teal with brown straps, thin, padded shoulder bag for it that I can't find a picture of anywhere. I love it, because it's so much lighter (and more attractive!) than the bulky, black case I got with it from Dell.

And if I'm carrying around books, papers, then I usually just throw everything in this thick cloth tote I got from Urban Outfitters.

Mmm. Bags. :twisted:
    embracing my inner curl since late Nov 2006
    2b/3a (I think?)
    color-treated red/brown, medium-textured hair
    PJ, currently using Suave citrus smoothie, B2B pom cond, GF C&S leave-in, AG re:coil, LOOB, HE SMU, Jessicurl HCC, CC, AIS
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I carry a pretty large messenger bag every day to work, because I tend to carry lots of stuff including books to read on the train. I also keep a small purse at work that I throw my wallet into when I step out for lunch and don't want to drag all the stuff with me.

I have a medium black satchel at home that I use when I don't go to work.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    geeky, you are brilliant! I'm going to start leaving a purse at work.

I currently carry my purse (whatever purse I feel like carrying that day) and my work bag, which is a convertible packback/tote that I got for being on my professional organization's conference steering committee last year. It's padded, too, so I can haul my laptop if I need to.

Both bags are A LOT to carry especially with my long walk, but I haven't found an effective way to get everything into one bag and not have the bag weight 1000 pounds.

I saw a girl at a training session a couple weeks ago that had the most darling bag. It looked more purse-like, but it was big, and it zipped way down on the sides. That made it big enough that she could carry a couple file folders in it. It was SO cute. I complimented her on it, but didn't get a chance to ask where she bought it.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Geeky, you may have the answer!
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users
    medussa wrote:

I want this, but wish they had it in red. I have a Tumi black bag that is very similar but smaller and I just can't fit everything in it.
  • FearnotsomuchFearnotsomuch Posts: 368Registered Users
    deezee02 wrote:

15364_me.jpg

I L O V E this bag! What kind is it???

I carry all different types of bags on weekends and when travelling, etc.. During the work week, same bag.

That is the Vera Bradley Kate bag in Medallion :)
    It is a much smaller purse but also much cheaper.. If I'm not mistaken it is under $30. Don't ask how I know this right off the top of my head... :shock:
    In DESPERATE need of a haircut.