Type 4’s in Commercials?

Maw906Maw906 Posts: 18Registered Users
I was having a discussion with a male co-worker of mine, and he was expressing how even though women are going natural (4a/b/c… types), main stream media has not recognized us yet. So I begged to differ, I told him that just this morning I saw a Dunkin Donuts Commercial with a Type 4 lady. Also a Toyota commercial had the cutest little girl with natural hair in 2 puffs holding/running after a dog. He stated that the little girl doesn't count because little kids don’t get their hair permed (yea right!!:confused1:) But for the life of me I couldn't remember anymore commercials.

Has anyone seen any recent commercials with Type 4 hair ladies?? Thanks in advance!!
"Nobody can heal, like you can. Oh most Holy one you are the Great I Am. Awesome in all your ways and mighty is your hand, you are He who carried out redemption's plan. Searched all over, couldn’t find nobody I looked high and low... still couldn't find nobody. Nobody greater than you.”

:blob2:Click the link for $10 off your 1st order at Vitacost :blob2:https://www.vitacostrewards.com/g3hZYnV

Comments

• juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have seen several Burlington Coat Factory commercials that do.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • KilajoKilajo Posts: 786Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I see a lot of commercials with women sporting natural hair. Now, personally I can't always tell the difference between a braid or twistout on one person and another person's wng. My question is, is it possible that when we see a person with a little looser curl that it may be a braid or twist out or a roller set but they may in fact have tighter curls? I have 3b/3c hair and my hair can be manipulated to look 3a or lower or 4a depending on the type of styling. Anyway just a thought I had after I read the op.

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Isn't the gorgeous Janelle Monae 4a? Hard to tell because her hair is up in a pouf in front.

ETA: She's in a CoverGirl commercial. She's so pretty it's scary.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • ravenm721ravenm721 Posts: 80Registered Users
    Ive actually been starting to see a gradual increase of women with low cut BCs or short natural hair in general in commercials too, tbh. I do not know the names of the women whonwere selected to be in it, but Ive been noticing quite a few of them..mostly in cereal and department store commericals.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk Appng
    event.png
    Hair Type: 4D/5A living in sub-tropical humidity hell
    •BC'ed after 22 months of transitioning (May 2012)
    •Check out my YT playlist for Transitioning Styles :glasses1::
  • coracora Posts: 456Registered Users
    Off the top of my head I can't name a commercial but I'd say in the last year or so I've seen more natural 4's in commercials than 3's. I think it is great that tighter curls are getting featured.
  • Maw906Maw906 Posts: 18Registered Users
    juanab wrote: »
    I have seen several Burlington Coat Factory commercials that do.
    Thanks! Ive never seen burlington commercials that often.
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Isn't the gorgeous Janelle Monae 4a? Hard to tell because her hair is up in a pouf in front.

ETA: She's in a CoverGirl commercial. She's so pretty it's scary.

She is.....I totally forget about that commercial.
    cora wrote: »
    Off the top of my head I can't name a commercial but I'd say in the last year or so I've seen more natural 4's in commercials than 3's. I think it is great that tighter curls are getting featured.

I think its great also.
    "Nobody can heal, like you can. Oh most Holy one you are the Great I Am. Awesome in all your ways and mighty is your hand, you are He who carried out redemption's plan. Searched all over, couldn’t find nobody I looked high and low... still couldn't find nobody. Nobody greater than you.”

:blob2:Click the link for $10 off your 1st order at Vitacost :blob2:https://www.vitacostrewards.com/g3hZYnV
    I just saw one in a Honey Nut Cheerios commercial!

co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)

event.png
    Just saw a Luv's commercial with a natural lady. Link below. Love the babies reactions. lol

Luvs - Temperature - YouTube

• Bac2curlsBac2curls Posts: 3Registered Users
    There's one in the shark steam cleaner commercial

Sent from my SGH-T769 using CurlTalk App
    Walmart commercial about a Virgin mobile phone.

event.png
    juanab wrote: »
    Walmart commercial about a Virgin mobile phone.

You on a roll @juanab

• adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just saw an ad for Pilsbury Crescent Rolls with a type for. It's a lady and her hubby in the kitchen and she asked him if he got the something for a dinner party and he pulls rolls out of over. She has the cutest puff.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • MekaMeka Posts: 23Registered Users
    I see natural styles anytime black people are involved. There was a Swifter commercial with a little girl, Comcast Xfinity, a Nautica Christmas commercial. I have to say I don't even notice the straightened hair because natural is taking over.
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    The kit kat commercial. The first one is the library and the other when they are on the street. I think it's the same woman in each commercial
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • NgoNgo Posts: 13Registered Users
    I think the Zales commercial? or is it Kay jewelers where the guy proposes to the woman in the mall in front of the employees? (side eye on that scenario)
    "All things good are wild and free"- Thoreau

-Mostly 4b with some 4a, coarse, low porosity, dense
  • CalberCalber Posts: 126Registered Users
    Just adding something I saw while catching up on some news from accross the ocean. It's not a commercial, but close enough 😉ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1356513392.196043.jpg
    I have to shower in order to wake up properly in the mornings :hello1:
  • tricellotricello Posts: 95Registered Users
    Meka wrote: »
    I see natural styles anytime black people are involved. There was a Swifter commercial with a little girl, Comcast Xfinity, a Nautica Christmas commercial. I have to say I don't even notice the straightened hair because natural is taking over.

At least for commercials, this is what I have been noticing too. All the African-American women are naturals in commercials. No straightend ladies.

They think everything out for marketing, so I wonder what the motivation is for showing all natural over relaxed hair women in advertising.
    High Density, High Porosity, Medium Texture, 3B with some kink

DT: SS DDMT - HG
    Lo-Poo: No Preference
    Co-wash: CJ Smoothing Conditioner
    RO: CJ Strengthening Conditioner - HG
    LI: CK Satin Roots
    Styler: CK Coil Jam
    Other Likes: Castor Oil; CK Twist Whip, MD CSC
    Dislikes: Wheat Protein; Aloe LIs or Stylers

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Maybe it is considered more youthful. Marketing often skews toward a young demographic.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • MekaMeka Posts: 23Registered Users
    I think they are picking up on what they consider is a trend and I see as a way of life/movement.

Have you seen the Chinese altering their hair patterns to mimic Afros?
  • jolenemerritt81jolenemerritt81 Posts: 4Registered Users
    If I'm not mistaken, the Swifter commercial where the mom finishes early and does the 'are you a cool mom' magazine quiz. Her and the daughter were both natural.
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

No but I know that Japanese hipsters have been getting Afro perms for the past five years or so.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • jmartinezjmartinez Posts: 126Registered Users
    I think its because natural is more mainstream. And marketers are following the trend. But the way the woman talks in the swiffer commercial is not a good representation of black people. Why do they always make black people speak bad english? My mom doesnt sound like that.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
  • CurlzGurl99CurlzGurl99 Posts: 62Registered Users
    There's that Macy's commercial. As well as the Wen hair commercials, obviously..............
    no hate behind that 'obviously'.................................
    :cherry:Curls: 3c/4a I can't distinguish between the two!!!!!!
    Shampoo: Mizani, Bed Head Control Freak, Pert(mixed with water)
    Conditioner: Mizani, Bed Head, Aura Moisturizing conditioner
    Gels: Eco Styler Krystal

Curl Defining Products: Curls Unleashed
    Leave-in: Conditioner mixed with water and EVOO, it's a 10.
    Oils: Tea Tree, EVOO, OO, Coconut oil
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    adthomas wrote: »
    I just saw an ad for Pilsbury Crescent Rolls with a type for. It's a lady and her hubby in the kitchen and she asked him if he got the something for a dinner party and he pulls rolls out of over. She has the cutest puff.

Saw it too!! I love this!!

Gonna have to keep an eye out for those.
    gagirl09 wrote: »
    The kit kat commercial. The first one is the library and the other when they are on the street. I think it's the same woman in each commercial

lol @ " i think its the same woman" hey what ever works.
    Ngo wrote: »
    I think the Zales commercial? or is it Kay jewelers where the guy proposes to the woman in the mall in front of the employees? (side eye on that scenario)

LOL @ side eye. Def need to see that one!!!
    Calber wrote: »
    Just adding something I saw while catching up on some news from accross the ocean. It's not a commercial, but close enough 😉ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1356513392.196043.jpg

Nice!
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Maybe it is considered more youthful. Marketing often skews toward a young demographic.

+1
    I think they are picking up on what they consider is a trend and I see as a way of life/movement.

Yes I've seen this. When I was in s.korea 4 years ago. :afro:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file