We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Weathercaster fired for being ok with her kinky hair

GretchenGretchen AdministratorPosts: 8,985Administrators, Moderators Administrator

Gretchen
NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
3A

You are beautiful!

Comments

• JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,177Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think they were looking for any reason to fire her.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,860Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Wow!!

I would like to see what the companies policy on social media is. I assumed opening the article, there would be some snark in her comment, but it was very matter of fact.

I hope she sues the company and gets 100s of offers from other stations now!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    I agree. they just wanted a reason. I just want to know what was the policy she violated?
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i read this the other day and i think it's terrible!

in this age of social media i think employers also have a responsibility to protect their employees. if they'd taken responsibility to remove the disgruntled viewers comments, which were inappropriate on many levels (how he referred to her, asking if she was a cancer patient) then perhaps this would have never happened. appropriate use of social media is a two way street. employees shouldn't say anything though these vehicles but also, employers should protect employees that are being singled out or subjected to harrassment/abuse.

i hope she lands an even better job, maybe with a national company.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • PoochiePoochie Posts: 297Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think it's doubly offensive because it's very likely she wore her hair short because of the pressures on-camera personalities experience to straighten.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,742Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yeah, what J said. They used the FB post as an excuse.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    I want to punch the person who made the decision to fire her :banghead:
  • mcherycemcheryce Posts: 363Registered Users
    Does anyone know how long her hair had been that short? Was it a recent change?
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,983Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with CC - I hope she gets loads of great offers from other stations. She's very attractive and her hair is becoming.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yeah, I wanna read the "murky-sounding social media policy!" LOL

• DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users
    :angry2:
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    If I can remember from the article. What they fired her for wasn't even writing, but had supposedly been discussed at a meeting she didn't attend.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    juanab wrote: »
    If I can remember from the article. What they fired her for wasn't even writing, but had supposedly been discussed at a meeting she didn't attend.

Hmmm starting to sound like this BS firing will be one of the best things that has ever happened to her...and she will be tweeting all the way to the bank!

• sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I just saw this article that has some more details, including the station's so-called policy.

Ms. Lee responded to the comment in a neutral and informative manner, and she was not snarky or rude. I don't see how that is grounds for her firing, especially since the "policy" was nebulous and, from the email, sounded like a suggestion, not a formal set-in-stone policy.
    ehLB.jpg
    the policy seems to say that if someone is complaining about something, but the initial poster asked a question, and she answered. The station claimed she broke this policy numerous times before. when? where's the evidence? its on teh internet, so you cant erase it. unless its nothing there to erase.
    Hmmmm I actually do think she violated the policy now.

• prentonneprentonne Posts: 163Registered Users
    There was no policy. Just an email. Sheesh how unprofessional on the part of the company. An email is not a policy. Hopefully this leads to positive things for her.

Sent from my GT-P1000N using CurlTalk App
    prentonne wrote: »
    There was no policy. Just an email. Sheesh how unprofessional on the part of the company. An email is not a policy. Hopefully this leads to positive things for her.

I would think that counts as policy if she admits to having read it.

If you just remove the natural hair aspect, and you take an empoye who kept jumping on the company FB page and enngaging w/ hecklers, it doesn't seem so far fetched that she would be disciplined.

• The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,742Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's Louisiana, so I'm not too surprised.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    prentonne wrote: »

I would think that counts as policy if she admits to having read it.

If you just remove the natural hair aspect, and you take an empoye who kept jumping on the company FB page and enngaging w/ hecklers, it doesn't seem so far fetched that she would be disciplined.

Yeah, the poster didn't comment on her texture, but her length. She took it there with assuming she was speaking about her being natural.

I'm not saying that she should have been fired, but there was a tiny bit of snark/defensiveness in her response
    ok so lets say she shouldnt had responded at all. the station still claimed she violated the policy on mulitple occasions. When were the other occasions she did it?
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    Policies exist for a reason. She apparently violated her employer's policy on social media. I hate that for her but there apppears to be justification for the firing. She'll no doubt have lots of job opportunities based on this.

PS - I'd love to be able to wear my hair like her.
    Myradella3 wrote: »
    Policies exist for a reason. She apparently violated her employer's policy on social media. I hate that for her but there apppears to be justification for the firing. She'll no doubt have lots of job opportunities based on this.

PS - I'd love to be able to wear my hair like her.

Agree w/ all.

But in this case, I think her transgression was so benign, the extent of the discipline was overkill. Employers almost always have some discretion on the type of discipline meted out.

I would also like to know how many times she violated the social media policy (or other policies).

Either way, I'm thinking of writing to the station and telling them they handled this poorly.

• curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    Louisiana is an at will state; I'm sure the station doesn't give a ish. It does seem like a lame reason to fire someone. Yup, they probably wanted to fire her and she gave them their opportunity.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • curlyhoneybcurlyhoneyb Posts: 267Registered Users
    curlyarca wrote: »
    Louisiana is an at will state; I'm sure the station doesn't give a ish. It does seem like a lame reason to fire someone. Yup, they probably wanted to fire her and she gave them their opportunity.

I agree...sometimes people will just find a reason/excuse to fire somebody, it doesn't really matter if the person did nothing wrong.
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    I think she's lovely and exercised restraint and good manners in her reply. Not sure I'd have handled it with such grace if someone had complained about a redhead being on air.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • ss40ss40 Posts: 1,790Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'll surprised the station didn't really behind her statement. She didn't do anything different from the lady who received a letter about get weight.

This, to me, was a cyber bully & Rhonda stood up to him & educated him. If he didn't like her hair he should have changed the Channel. I recall a Tony Kornheiser talking about his coworker publicly and getting suspended. This attitude toward women shouldn't be tolerated imo

These are my curlfessions
    :nike:About my hair:
    weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
    daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
    go to style-Pocahontas braids
  • MojoDojoMojoDojo Posts: 702Registered Users
    They were probably having previous issues with her, and were looking for any reason at all to fire her.

It does seem overkill though. And I agree that she's a gorgeous woman with awesome hair (I can't pull off hair that short, it really works with her face shape!)

And I bet she will have many other offers after this.
    I AM THE NEANDERTHAL SLAYER!!!
  • ss40ss40 Posts: 1,790Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I hope she gets an offer from a better place.

But why is it that the person who insulted her cannot compose a sentence without a typo? Wait
    let me rephrase that because those aren't typos.

Racis
    Beatiful
    Opionion
    Standerd
    Prefure

These are my curlfessions
    :nike:About my hair:
    weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
    daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
    go to style-Pocahontas braids
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    i read this the other day and i think it's terrible!

in this age of social media i think employers also have a responsibility to protect their employees. if they'd taken responsibility to remove the disgruntled viewers comments, which were inappropriate on many levels (how he referred to her, asking if she was a cancer patient) then perhaps this would have never happened. appropriate use of social media is a two way street. employees shouldn't say anything though these vehicles but also, employers should protect employees that are being singled out or subjected to harrassment/abuse.

i hope she lands an even better job, maybe with a national company.

I'm just now reading about this incident and according to the article I read, the TV STATION ITSELF contributed a "like" to the original offending comment!!!

I can't get on FB but I would LOVE to look and see for myself. But I'm sure they've taken it all down by now.

If it's true, then their action right there tells me all I need to know--"professionalism" and "social media policy" my a$$.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fshine.yahoo.com%2Fwork-money%2Fmeteorologist-rhonda-lee-she-fired-defending-her-hair-200400289.html" class="Popup

And if she's already filed a lawsuit last May for other racial incidents. then yeah they were just looking for a way to boot her out the door. I hope she lands an even better job too. A$$hats.

ETA: I re-read the link above....they say none of the original FB content has been removed. The offending comments nor the tv stations "likes". Again, asshats.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file