The dreaded triangle head

CurlyMamaLCurlyMamaL Posts: 3Registered Users
hi curlies! I am new here. I have 3b/3c hair. I recently got it cut as it was very long and scraggly at the bottom. But I seem to be developing the dreaded triangle hair! Is this a cut issue, or a styling issue, or a product issue? I'm inclined to say cut...maybe I need a little more layering? What have you found to help with the triangle head??

Comments

• SandiSandi Posts: 364Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The triangle head is usually caused by bad shaping from a cut, so I'm inclined to think that you are correct. But what styling have you been using with your hair?

I don't want to give any firm advice until you give me more details about your hair. (For future use: 3b/3c is probably the most useless of any information you could give me.... :wink:)
    Hair Type: 3c/4a, Coarse, Med-High Density, Med-Low Porosity
    Curly since '09
  • fonkifonki Posts: 353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had triangle head for ages and it was due to a very bad haircut. I had to grow it out which took me over a year to do as my hair was cut so short. It was terrible
  • CurlyMamaLCurlyMamaL Posts: 3Registered Users
    thanks for your reply! Sorry, so new at this. I usually style my hair by using lots of leave in conditioner and some styling gel, applying in sections and running it through the hair ropes (looks like milking the cow), when wet of course. I partially diffuse in sections. It would take forever to diffuse it totally dry. My hair is very fine, low porosity, but lots and lots of strands. It looks quite heavy and I think has some textures that are smooth and some frizzy. Is that the kind of info that is helpful? Oh sometimes I use duck bill clips for a little lift but I need more. There is one photo on my profile. I will upload more as soon as I figure out how.
  • CurlyMamaLCurlyMamaL Posts: 3Registered Users
    Here are the photos I took. They aren't the greatest. Sorry, I tried! But they should give you an idea of the problems--curls lacking definition, frizz, overall shaping issues, etc. Thank you!
  • SandiSandi Posts: 364Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ermm... I forgot to mention this tidbit, but if you're growing your hair out, the hair often grows out before long for a bit, therefore imitating the development of triangle head. And yes, the additional details you provided were helpful. Your hair looks kind of dense (assuming they're fine strands), from the pictures too, so I'm guessing you have fine, medium dense hair, which more than other types of hair (because it's so light) gives the illusion of growing outward rather than down.

That being the case, I really don't think your hair is a triangle head at all. I would just wait it out and see for sure---or just trim it such that the triangle shape is minimized.
    Hair Type: 3c/4a, Coarse, Med-High Density, Med-Low Porosity
    Curly since '09
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CurlyMamaL wrote: »
    Here are the photos I took. They aren't the greatest. Sorry, I tried! But they should give you an idea of the problems--curls lacking definition, frizz, overall shaping issues, etc. Thank you!

I don't see "triangle hair" here. Not even sure what you're calling frizz (what's considered frizz is somewhat subjective though). What I do see is that your hair pattern seems looser in some areas than others. Your hair looks like mine when it was your length, and then longer. I think the weight of your long hair is weighing down your curl. The remedy? Lift the weight off the curls by cutting it - either uniformly, or in layers. A cut would help you fine-tune your shape as well. It was the best thing I even did for myself :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file