CurlTalk

DH thinks he's getting fired

LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
His company's year-end is this month, and things haven't been going well. Yesterday, one of the managers called DH an "arrogant S.O.B." DH is the executive director of new business for his company but they aren't interested in new business. He's given them numerous opportunities to make hundreds and thousands, if not millions, of dollars and they refuse to try them.

DH isn't over dramatic, so I believe him. Fortunately, we have six months' worth of savings set aside, but I'm scared. I can't say anything to family or friends so thanks for letting me say it here.

:-(
Loose botticelli curls and waves
No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,778Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Oh no, just awful to hear :(

Will keep you guys in my thoughts!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    So sorry to hear! We're here for you! :(
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That really does suck. I hope whatever the outcome, things find a way to work out in the end.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Posts: 6,343Registered Users
    Ugh, Happy Holidays, huh???

Lots of good thoughts your way.

And what kind of a manager calls somebody an arrogant SOB? How professional.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    :(
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    SO thought he was getting fired too. For months. Then he was, in late October. :(

It was a shock, regardless. In the months leading up to it, he kept asking his bosses what he could do to be more valuable to the company, how he could increase his billability, and they kept telling him he was fine and it was their job to worry about that. :roll:

Anyway, we're past the point of it being a shock and him being depressed about it. He's freelancing, and keeping pretty busy doing that, while looking for full-time opportunities. Life goes on.

I'm glad you have six months saved up. We have some savings as well, and he did get a severance. [He was technically "let go" so that's something, I suppose. His company was known for never "firing" anyone. He worked in PR, so …] We also moved in together [planned before this happened], so there is some savings in that.

Anyway, if it DOES happen, it is no fun, super stressful and all that. But you'll get through it, I have no doubt. ;)
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    That sucks. I hope everything works out :-(
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    Hope it doesn't happen!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    I'm sorry, Lolo.

I hope everything works out for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
    I'm sorry, that really sucks. :(
    I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users
    Wishing you all the best. So sorry for the stress. I hope it doesn't happen, but it sounds like you have a good plan and I bet you'll land on your feet if the worst comes to pass.

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    Thanks everyone. I feel sick about it but I don't want to make DH feel worse.

He's wanted to leave publishing for years and this might force him to do so. This will be the second time in four years that he's been let go. Ugh.
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    LoloDSM wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I feel sick about it but I don't want to make DH feel worse.

He's wanted to leave publishing for years and this might force him to do so. This will be the second time in four years that he's been let go. Ugh.

I was fired after my son was born and I applied for unemployment and got it! The Employment Security Commission sided with me that the reason for termination was BS. You can fire people for no reason, but if you give a reason it has to be legit (in "hire at will"/non-union workforce jobs). So there is a possibility that he can still get unemployment benefits.

Hope for the best but have a plan. Go ahead and sit down and rework your budget right now and cut all the fluff. Save every cent you can get your hands on. For the holidays, if you have not done your shopping, talk about not buying things. Focus on the traditions of the holiday. Do stuff that is Christmas-y: go look at lights, go ice-skating, go caroling with a group from church or your neighborhood. Volunteer! Nothing gets you in the holiday spirit like giving of yourself, your time. Once I was actually unemployed, I got a regular volunteer position. It gave me something productive to do; I felt useful and I could put it on my resume.

I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers. I know what it's like. I am facing possible lay-off myself. If it happens I will have been laid off 3 times in 4 years!!! You feel helpless so focus on what you can control. I wish you the best!
  • violetsviolets Posts: 1,689Registered Users
    Hope for the best and wish you luck.
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    Hope it works out, But look on the brightside, he wanted out of publishing? Maybe this will give him the opportunity to find his passion!! Good Luck!
    DH just called. His company closed a warehouse and he has a 1 p.m. conference with his boss. The company is blaming Obamacare and taxes. :-(
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    I'm so sorry :(. Has he been looking for anything else or even thought about it? Hopefully it's not what he thinks it is.
    It happened. Nice package with payment this year and salary through the end of January. DH's boss was very emotional and sad because he didn't want to do it. I will have to look at the agreement and to make sure DH won't be waiving his right to unemployment benefits if he accepts the package.

Fortunately, DH has been on the phone nonstop since Thursday and he has a couple things in the works.
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    Oh no!! {{{HUGS}}}
  • NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
    Oh no; so sorry :( Glad to hear he has many rods in the fire though. Hopefully something comes through!
    Very smart to check the package for the unemployment stipulation. I feel like someone does waive their right here for unemployment when accepting a severance package, but not sure how it works where you're from.
    Keep us posted, you're in my thoughts and prayers!
    "Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
  • OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users
    sorry to hear that Lolo
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,454Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    I'm so sorry. It's quite a kick in the gut, isn't it?

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh no, I'm so sorry!! That totally stinks. :pale:
    But I'm very glad to hear he already has some irons in the fire--that's incredibly promising!
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,660Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lolo, I'm so sorry. I hate that a lot of companies lay people off around the holiday season.

In AZ you can't collect unemployment until your severance runs out. Stay positive and know we are all thinking of you and your husband.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    I'm so sorry.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymix%2F" class="Popup
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Praying for you guys!

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    oh, Lolo, I am so sorry. :(
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    :( That sucks, Lolo. I'm sorry.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie