Ready to Chop My Hair Off ..

2»

Comments

• anonymous_150263anonymous_150263 Registered Users Posts: 773
    Lovemybaby wrote: »
    AVJ is aloe vera juice i think :)

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using CurlTalk App

Ok! Lol. So would the juice straight from the plant be a good ph? I have a few aloe plants. Or do you purchase a particular brand?
  • naturalyogininaturalyogini Registered Users Posts: 430
    You said the shea moisture stuff isnt good for porous hair becuase of the neutral ph? I'm interested in this becuase the shea moisture smoothie is hit or miss with my hair.

Can you name some conditioners and curl creams that have a better ph?

I know that ACV is apple cider vinegar. What is AVJ?
    Actually the pH of the SM stuff I tested was 6.5, which is still too high. Conditioners should be 4.0-5.5 no higher. Shampoos 4.5-6.0. Leave-ins should be 4.5-5.5. Stick the pH stick in your products and test them. I haven't found a deep conditioner that my hair likes. For leave-in, I like Botanical Spriits, Hairveda busy izzy gets buttered up. NBD Cosmetics hair nectar and hair moisture miracle. BTW all of NBD Cos products are ph balanced. You can find her etsy.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using CurlTalk App
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    Some of the pHs of products are on the Natural Haven blog, including some Shea Moisture, the strips are easy to use and well worth trying.

High porosity should not overuse 'moisturising' humectant rich products in very high or low dews. Many do badly with glycerin especially.
    The Curl Whisperer on Porosity | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Natural Hair Care

Be careful with aloe juice from the plant, it contains potentially irritating/ allergenic compounds, and is not stabilised so will start breaking down relatively quickly. Not sure whether the enzymes it contains would damage hair or not.

AFAIK 'pH balanced' is not a regulated term, it could therefore mean different things to different manufacturers, it can certainly mean as high as 7 (neutral) in the UK. Most conditioners are acidic, tho some are lower than others. Lines that specify a low appropriate pH include Komaza Care, As I Am, Keracare and Dermorganic.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file