Koils By Nature Shealoe leave-in smell

NoodleNapsNoodleNaps Posts: 463Registered Users
Can anyone describe how this is supposed to smell? I got some after reading all these great reviews for it. When I opened it, it let off some air, and some of the product spilled out, as if the ingredients had been fermenting. The smell starts off citrusy and ends up smelling like a particularly pungent Nigerian dish (and also a bit like Dudu Osun, for anyone who uses it). I'm very sensitive to smells, and definitely can't use this if this is what it is supposed to smell like. If not, I'm sending it back. Got it from Natural Boudoir in the UK, so I'm wondering if maybe it spoiled on the journey over. Thoughts anyone?
Products in current rotation:

Terressentials Pure Earth Mud Wash; Elucence MBC (now really just for cowashing, leg shaving or emergencies); Curl Junkie: Repair Me, Deep Fix, Curl Rehab; AOHSR (retiring); Oyin Handmade: Honey Hemp, Hair Dew, J&B; Qhemet Biologics: BRBC (retiring- prefer Oyin HD), AOHC, OHHB; Jojoba Oil for scalp; Castor Oil or Shea butter to seal; Henna & Ayurvedic pastes when I can be bothered.

Still searching for the perfect stylers, but loving CJ CIAB over everything so far

Comments

• CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    You know it's funny you bring this up. I was gonna make a post about this but I decided to contact KBN first. I ordered the KBN Holiday box before Thanksgiving and it came with the shealoe leave in. Upon opening my bottle it fizzed as I twisted the cap and exploded on me. The product started flowing under the cap like lava does from a volcano. When I took off the whole cap, thar she blew. It was the strangest thing and I have only heard about this happening one other time last year with a Mozeke product (I think it was the rhassoul something). I contacted KBN about it and they're sending me a new bottle, which I'm very grateful for, but I hope it doesn't happen again.

I don't know how or why it happened, but I know it's not normal. I wouldn't use the product because I think it's bad. I've used this product before and I don't remember it smelling like this. It had a sweet scent to it. This one I have now smells kind of like puke and glue to me, with a note of citrus.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • NoodleNapsNoodleNaps Posts: 463Registered Users
    CocoT wrote: »
    You know it's funny you bring this up. I was gonna make a post about this but I decided to contact KBN first. I ordered the KBN Holiday box before Thanksgiving and it came with the shealoe leave in. Upon opening my bottle it fizzed as I twisted the cap and exploded on me. The product started flowing under the cap like lava does from a volcano. When I took off the whole cap, thar she blew. It was the strangest thing and I have only heard about this happening one other time last year with a Mozeke product (I think it was the rhassoul something). I contacted KBN about it and they're sending me a new bottle, which I'm very grateful for, but I hope it doesn't happen again.

I don't know how or why it happened, but I know it's not normal. I wouldn't use the product because I think it's bad. I've used this product before and I don't remember it smelling like this. It had a sweet scent to it. This one I have now smells kind of like puke and glue to me, with a note of citrus.

Lmao Coco T and thanks for your response. I can't help cracking up, especially at "puke and glue with a note of citrus"!

Ok, so I emailed Natural Boudoir, and she immediately sent me a message back saying it's bad and to throw it away, and she's sending me another one.

Terressentials Pure Earth Mud Wash; Elucence MBC (now really just for cowashing, leg shaving or emergencies); Curl Junkie: Repair Me, Deep Fix, Curl Rehab; AOHSR (retiring); Oyin Handmade: Honey Hemp, Hair Dew, J&B; Qhemet Biologics: BRBC (retiring- prefer Oyin HD), AOHC, OHHB; Jojoba Oil for scalp; Castor Oil or Shea butter to seal; Henna & Ayurvedic pastes when I can be bothered.

Still searching for the perfect stylers, but loving CJ CIAB over everything so far
  • MrsComboCurlzMrsComboCurlz Posts: 625Registered Users
    Emmm Yeah...I remember mine taking "ah gasp for air & exploding over" when I opened it too! Honestly at this point IDK what it's "supposed" to smell like, I've had mine since her Veterans Day SaLe last year (gotta check the shelf life)...This Leave-in is just Ok for me! :?
    *Cleanse: BoBeam, Giovanni Tea-Tree
    *Rinse Cond: Herbal Essence HH
    *Deep Cond: Deity America (green tub), CRN Algae Hair Mask
    *Leave-in's: Soultanicals, Pura Body Naturals, Alikay Naturals Lemon-grass spritz
    *Twisting: Obia Naturals TWB, PBN Cupuacu Butter, Camille Rose
    *Treatment: Henna/Amla/Cassia/Brahmi
    * LCSO Method
  • NoodleNapsNoodleNaps Posts: 463Registered Users
    Emmm Yeah...I remember mine taking "ah gasp for air & exploding over" when I opened it too! Honestly at this point IDK what it's "supposed" to smell like, I've had mine since her Veterans Day SaLe last year (gotta check the shelf life)...This Leave-in is just Ok for me! :?

Yikes, it's looking like this is definitely not going to make it onto my HG list

• MsCurl83MsCurl83 Posts: 289Registered Users
    Kbn owner is very nice and accommodating. I ordered the thanksgiving holiday box and I just used the aloe coco dc, Shealoe hydrating condish and Shealoe leave-in condish. The first two fizzed over on me but they were so good to my hair. Of course I still have a leftover 1/4 of bottle from my purchase last year. My products last me a whole year. I only repurchase when I need to. I've sworn off no hair products no new ones at least for next year only replenishment. Shame I'm going to natural hair event this Sunday. I'll see if I hold to my word lol.
    "My hair is a reflection of my personality:
    wild, free and beautiful."

Hair Type: S + Z = Crazy Beautiful
    Hair Goal: Improve health!! Kill the knots!!!
    BSL now
    As of 6/24/12: Protective styles for summer
    Achieving Curls: Terressentials Mud HAir Wash (the business! Terressentials.com) Giovanni 50/50 Cndtr (retired) KBN Shealoe LCndtr (on probation) Still perfecting the process.
    Shoutout to FLAXSEEDS!!!! YOU ARE the MASTER on FRIZZ!!!

• lashawnblashawnb Posts: 111Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mine exploded and smelled like a hot mess, too. I was told by some ladies that was the natural smell. I used it once and never again. :(
    :wave: hi. i'm a product junkie! so many products, so little time...
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    last full relaxer: 6/10/10 big chop: 11/25/10
    2011 Goal: SL (stretched) = Curly :afro:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    taken 3/30/11

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file