CurlTalk

Anyone else who can't refresh with water?

Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
Ok. I just have no luck refreshing with water. I had been trying a fine misting spray bottle with some LI in it. (I've also tried it with oil in there, too.).

Water just seems to make the clumps break up and go frizzy and stringy.

I may try AVG mixed with water and see how that goes. Idk. I can use the water mixture on my ends when I put my hair up and it works fine, but if I have it down or partly down - no way.

I've had some luck refreshing with oil, but that can go greasy.

Any suggestions??
2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
Seal - MO or Jojoba
DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing

Comments

• DepressedCurlsDepressedCurls Posts: 836Registered Users
    Me. There's just no way. My hair reacts the same.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
  • lanipseylanipsey Posts: 10Registered Users
    Me too! I thought I was the only one. Doing a pineapple on my hair helps keep the curl but it's never the same the next day :/
  • mhen76mhen76 Posts: 813Registered Users
    My hair is fine and the porosity is on the low side. Adding conditioner to my spray bottle can leave my hair limp and gunky. I love to refresh with AVG mixed with the water - about 1 part AVG to 3 or 4 parts water. I often add several drops of CNPF for an extra protein boost. In the summer, I'll add glycerin. Seems I can add just about anything to my refresher except conditioners or oils.
    3B, fine, normal to low porosity
    Modified CG since June 2010
    HGs: FSG, anything with glycerin, Tresemme Naturals conditioner, Curls Like Us cloths, satin pillowcases.
  • reednaturally22reednaturally22 Posts: 49Registered Users
    Omg! I can't either. Seriously thought I was the only one. It's just makes met hair frizzy and limp. However, I don't know of that's because I do TO/BO's instead of WNG's.
  • rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Posts: 557Registered Users
    Have you tried demi water with a couple of drops of lavender essential oil? It helps me in high dews.
    Now, with low dews.. I did something recently that had a surprisingly good effect: at night I misted my hair with H2O + Co, then warmed a nail tip of coconut oil between my hands and scrunched it in my hair. When dry, I pineappled for the night and the next day I had great volume and soft curls!
    Maybe it was a one time hit, but who knows?! It might work again.
    2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
    Routine:
    Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
    RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
    acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
    LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
    Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP, JCCC, BRHG
    Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
    KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl
  • MissDarceiMissDarcei Posts: 193Registered Users
    Yeah doesn't work at all for me. Only thing that works is putting conditioner and water in my hand and smoothing over in sections
    3c Hair
    Fine Strands, High Density, Low Porosity
    CG since August 2011
    :love4:Loving my hair!!!:love4:
  • Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
    I've done diluted condish in my palms before, and that can help re-clump me, though it won't help re-form flattened curls. :/

I'll give the AVG/CNPF thing a try.

I did try a "beach" spray, with very little luck. Maybe I'll play with that more. Spraying it directly on my hair didn't go well, but maybe that was bc of the water misting?

So irritating!

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,251Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My hair hates having anything sprayed on it. And trying to refresh with diluted gel on my hands doesn't work either. My hair prefers to be totally re-wet every day. No 2nd day hair here.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • EricachristinaEricachristina Posts: 496Registered Users
    Water to refresh does nothing for my hair...I actually have to condition it in the shower and just style it all over again by about the third day.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    I wet, use a rinse out and style every day. Nothing refreshes my hair.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dresdendolldresdendoll Posts: 435Registered Users
    I find that loose pineappling the night before has been the most beneficial to me when preserving a style. Beautiful Curls Reviving Tonic is also good for first thing in the morning. If my hair is completely messed up and undefined from sleeping on it, the tonic won't salvage it, but usually it's not too bad after a pineapple. The tonic great to combat some surface frizz and give my curls a bit of a boost.
    2c/2b with some 2a, coarse, dense, thick, low porosity
    Growing out a CL bob. Currently at APL.
    CG again as of 7/20/12 :laughing5:

Cleanser: BRÖÖ Smoothing I.P.A. Shampoo
    RO: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
    LI: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Beautiful Curls Gel for Wavy to Curly Hair

:love4: all-natural products, light moisture, humectants, argan oil
    :pukeright:silk protein, synthetic ingredients, heavy oils/products, cowashing
    Yeah, sometimes I can get 2nd (or rarely 3rd) day hair, but just by it lasting that long. Usually that's after a gelatin PT and a DT.

If it survives the night I'm ok. But it often doesn't. Pineappling doesn't seem to work for me. It never stays in, and if I do it tight enough that it will stay, it leaves a kink. Also, pineapples tend to pull out the curl a bit. Maybe I need to experiment more, idk.

I'm thinking of adding a decent amount of gelatin to my FSG. My hair seems to LOOOOVE gelatin, so maybe that will enhance the curl and give it some added hold.

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users
    My hair is about opposite of yours in properties but never have been able to refresh with water. Half wet or misting just makes it yucky, frizzy mess. Total wet and restyle or just looped ponytail overnight and hope for the best.

Hairspray sometimes works, oddly.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
    You know, hairspray has worked for me, too, now that you mention it. When my hair is just a bit "weak", not overly flattened or frizzy, clumps not completely separated... Hairspray can perk it up. (I use GF flexible hold).

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
  • tricellotricello Posts: 95Registered Users
    Water alone doesn't help me with 2nd day hair - it just flattens it. but if my curls have flattened or over stretched, lightly adding water mixed with a protein cream or just a spray with protein, perks them up to extend my washes. Actually, thinking about it, Day 2 hair with added protein are the days I am more likely to get compliments. I probably should just add protein on day 1.
    High Density, High Porosity, Medium Texture, 3B with some kink

DT: SS DDMT - HG
    Lo-Poo: No Preference
    Co-wash: CJ Smoothing Conditioner
    RO: CJ Strengthening Conditioner - HG
    LI: CK Satin Roots
    Styler: CK Coil Jam
    Other Likes: Castor Oil; CK Twist Whip, MD CSC
    Dislikes: Wheat Protein; Aloe LIs or Stylers

Tricello - what do you use for a protein spray and protein cream? (I've never heard if that, btw!)

Do you just smooth it in? Do you scrunch? Twirl individual curls?

Do you add any moisture? (oil, condish, etc?)

Thx!

Sometimes I wonder if diluting some FSG and keeping a spray bottle in the frig might work well.

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
  • tricellotricello Posts: 95Registered Users
    For the spray, I use Ouidad’s Botanical Boost. I just spray it in on my canopy and the back of my head and lightly scrunch to revive the curls. Or alternatively, I mix a little bit of Deva’s Curl Cream with water in my fingers and run them over the flattened/frizzed individual curls, or scrunch into areas that have gone astray. I am not heavy handed on Day 2. I don’t think there is anything magic about those two products in particular other than the protein / moisture hit. The Curl Cream is more moisturizing so I use that one when there is some frizz.
    High Density, High Porosity, Medium Texture, 3B with some kink

DT: SS DDMT - HG
    Lo-Poo: No Preference
    Co-wash: CJ Smoothing Conditioner
    RO: CJ Strengthening Conditioner - HG
    LI: CK Satin Roots
    Styler: CK Coil Jam
    Other Likes: Castor Oil; CK Twist Whip, MD CSC
    Dislikes: Wheat Protein; Aloe LIs or Stylers

• hondo1hondo1 Posts: 54Registered Users
    I wish there were some way for me to get 2nd day hair. Water makes a frizzy mess out of it, conditioner leaves it flat and greasy looking and cond mixed with water is of no use at all. It's pretty frustrating because i'd love to not have to completely rewet and restyle every day.
    Shampoo: Mixed Chicks Sulfate Free
    DT CJ Repair Me
    RO/LI: Tresemme Naturals, Satin Roots, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: Curl Keeper, SM Curl & Style Milk, CJ Curl Queen, CJ Pattern Pusha, UF Curly Magic
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BLBBLB Posts: 268Registered Users
    I've posted on this before but I feel like if my porous, frizzy hair can be restyled with a spray bottle then anyone's can! My question is, are you all allowing your hair to fully dry before you say its frizzy and generally not working? I say this because my 2nd and 3rd day hair looks like crap before its dry. sometimes it looks so unpromising. But once dry and scrunched (which luckily doesn't take as long as the first day) it can look better than my freshly washed hair. I get a lot of surface frizz until its dry. Yes, I have to put up with it until its at the final stage, but I'm willing to do so because of the outcome and out of laziness to re wash/ wet every day. Just something to think about :)

Sent from my SCH-I400 using CurlTalk App
    2's+3a/ med density/ normal-high porosity/ fine-med texture, normal elasticity (I think!):
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix/Giovanni TTTT
    Conditioner: Giovanni TTT
    DT/PT: CJ Rehab, SSPDT
    LI: Giovanni DLI, AO Mandarin Magic- Jane Carter Scalp Nourishing Serum for dry, sensitive scalp
    Stylers: AG Re:coil, Mop C Curl Cream, CCClite, Spiral Solutions FHG...Sealing w/ Coconut oil
    Finishing product: JC Nourish & Shine, MD Strawberry Smoothie
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2F114440579402158395573%2FHAIRPICS%3Ffeat%3Ddirectlink" class="Popup
  • NYCgirlNYCgirl Posts: 236Registered Users
    NO CAN DO!! I don't know if its that I've misted too much or what, but I end up with a "dense" semi-frizzy mess.

What I find myself doing is refreshing individual curls or frizzy bits throughout my hair by individually dampening them with a little water to reactivate the product already in my hair OR dampening and adding a little bit of product, twirling my hair around my finger and the coils spring back to life! Works like a charm for me. I will usually do this in the evenings as soon as I get home so it has time to fully dry before I pineapple at bedtime.

There's a curly girl (MelsharyA) on YouTube who recently made a video of how she does this exact same thing just to the frizzy bits. Check it out here>
    How I Fix FRIZZ on an Old Wash n' Go - YouTube
    • Oils: EVOO,JBCO, Almond Oil
    • Cleanse: SM JBCO Replenishing Shampoo, Jane Carter's Conditioning and Cleansing Co-Wash
    • Pre-poo: Trader Joe's Coconut Oil, Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
    • LI: CRN The Leave-in Collection,
    • DC: LUSH Deep Conditioning Treatment by Miche Beauty, Cantu Deep Treatment Masque
    • PT: CJ Repair Me, Mielle Organics Babassu Oil Mint Deep Conditioner
    • Style: CRN Curl Maker, KCCC, WetLine Xtreme Gel, Cantu Coconut Curling Cream
  • greencup13greencup13 Posts: 596Registered Users
    I think it all just depends on the products. When u USED kccc I could not get 2nd day hair. Now that i use conditioner only to style I get 2nd day hair. I actually shower at night so I have to get 2nd day hair.

Water and condish in a spray bottle didn't work for me. I mist my hair so it's saturated and work the water through my hair. Then I get a good dollop of condish and smooth over my hair. My hair usually is frizzy so I reshape the curls with my finger and I get decent hair.
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Combo Low and High porosity
    Medium coarse texture

Goosefootprints hair analysis
    Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
    RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
    LI- As I Am leave in,
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Style- la looks sport gel
  • NvmbrCurlssNvmbrCurlss Posts: 732Registered Users
    Can't refresh, my fine curls don't make it through the night. I use RO and a LI+Oil daily:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
    LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
    NoP: As I Am CC
    RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
    LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
    Omg! I can't either. Seriously thought I was the only one. It's just makes met hair frizzy and limp. However, I don't know of that's because I do TO/BO's instead of WNG's.

What is TO/BO and WNG? Oh, and CNPF?

Sent from my HTC Desire X using CurlTalk App
    Routine:
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users

What is TO/BO and WNG? Oh, and CNPF?

Sent from my HTC Desire X using CurlTalk App

TO=Twist out
    BO=Braid out
    WNG=Wash-n-go
    CNPF=Liquid protein that can be purchased at Sally's

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
    Thanks, Juanab!
    Routine:
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    After reading all your responses I feel both cursed and blessed LOL I'm envious of those of you who can just spritz and revitalize your curls. Misting for me is like walking out the front door and into the Amazon jungle. A misting spray for me is humidity in a bottle :happy6:

On the other hand, I'm a little mystified by the whole goal a lot of you have of getting "2-day, 3-day (etc.) hair". Once I wash and dry my hair it looks fine for at least 4-5 days w/out me doing anything to it (unless there's extreme weather or whatever). Pineappling, however, does help it maintain that "polished" 1st day look if I want that for some reason.
    Ok, I sorta hate you right now, Korkscrew. Lol!!

I got 3rd day hair today - that's rare! If I had tried any real refreshing, I'd have ruined it.

We'll see what happens tomorrow after I wash and restyle it!

I will be trying some of your suggestions! Thinking maybe taming individual clumps with some LOOB and oil (may have to dilute to LOOB with water and/or LI). We'll see how that goes!

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    Jas, first of all, your hair is lovely (Not sure I ever told you that)!

Also, I bet your hair is twice as easy to wash as mine (I have enough hair for a small army :blob2:
  • CurlyCarmenCurlyCurlyCarmenCurly Posts: 118Registered Users
    Doesn't work for me either! I can't get 2nd day hair. Everrrrrrrrrr.
    r56gVvd.jpg

3123985.png

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    BSL stretched (longest it's ever been and growing rapidly!), past shoulder curly. Hair goal is hip length.

3a-b/f-m/ii. Soft and silky texture and prone to tangles. Can't get second day hair, even if I kissed the feet of fairy's :neutral:

Follow me on Instagram! Weightlossandcurls.

Pictures (clicky)
  • sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users
    Misting for me is like walking out the front door and into the Amazon jungle. A misting spray for me is humidity in a bottle

That's a great analogy! It's so true especially for girls like us who have highly porous hair. Weather affects our hair more so than other porosities. I still have a heck of a time with my summer routine and frizz due to high dew points.

I finally have a winter/low dew regimen that's been getting me decent first hair day. I wear a loose low pony tail at bedtime and sleep on a satin pillow case. I've tried pineappling but it hurts my scalp and leaves weird kinks. My hair still has some surface frizz in the morning that needs to be taken care of.

I've tried misting first and then adding a little more kccc or uncle funky's, (kind of in a smoothing fashion) but I think the results are better on dry hair with just an added splash of water to the product in my hand to help distribution. Nothing overboard, that's when things can get stringy and sticky.

My new years resolution is to use less of everything :D
    Upper Michigan Dews
    3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
    Detangler: KCKT
    Leave-in: CJ Repair me
    Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
    Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007