How much weight were you advised to gain vs what you did.

I was advised to gain about 40 lbs while pregnant and I gained 39lbs. That wouldn't be so bad if I haven't gained 25 lbs in the last 3 weeks of my pregnancy. Little Debbie was my best friend at the end!

Comments

• naturaldollnaturaldoll Posts: 568Registered Users Curl Novice
    i'm fat anyway so I was told I should gain about 20lbs, instead i've lost 54. with 2 more months to go, and averaging about 8 lbs a months. I get a lecture at every ob oppointment, but I am trying. I have super nausea so every bite of food is a huge struggle.

Sent from my LS670 using CurlTalk App
    Last Relaxer: February 14, 2011
    BC: March 17, 2012
    Porosity: Low to Normal
    Curl Type: 4a/3c
    Texture: Coarse
    Density: Thick
    Length:shoulder
    24661416.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    :love4::afro:
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    i'm fat anyway so I was told I should gain about 20lbs, instead i've lost 54. with 2 more months to go, and averaging about 8 lbs a months. I get a lecture at every ob oppointment, but I am trying. I have super nausea so every bite of food is a huge struggle.

Sent from my LS670 using CurlTalk App
    I lost weight with both my pregnancies...about 30 lbs. for each, then I lost another 20 post-partum. Sadly, I gained it all back.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I gained about 50 lbs each pregnancy. I never listened to whatever i was "advised" to gain.
  • ThickHairedQTThickHairedQT Posts: 542Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was advised to gain only 35lbs (I was 110 prepregnancy) but I gained 60lbs instead. One OB fussed at me a few times about my weight gain which was not helpful, it only made me feel worse. I had excellent blood pressure, no GD or any other serious pregnant related health issues so I decided not to worry myself. I was probably a little underweight to begin with anyway, LO is 5months old now and so far I've lost about 35-40lbs.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using CurlTalk App
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,152Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I wasn't advised to gain anything - weight wasn't even mentioned and I was never weighed at appointments. I had no scales at home at the time and have no idea what I weighed through either of my pregnancies.
    3b in South Australia.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Starmie wrote: »
    I wasn't advised to gain anything - weight wasn't even mentioned and I was never weighed at appointments. I had no scales at home at the time and have no idea what I weighed through either of my pregnancies.

I'm sure I was weighed but the doctoe never mentioned weight during either of my pregnancies. If I had to guess based on pictures I gained 35 lbs with my son and 25 lbs with my daughter.
  • JahNaturalDezignJahNaturalDezign Posts: 1,160Registered Users
    I'm 36 weeks and weighed 130 lbs last week starting from 115 pre-pregnancy weight. Me needing to gain a certain amount of weight has never been mentioned in any of my pregnancies. My doctors know I have a small frame so I guess any weight gain is good for me. This is my 3rd and I haven't had any issues other than back pain as my belly gets bigger.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using CurlTalk App
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    The doctors never mentioned weight to me. I gained about 40 lb with my first pregnancy and 30 lb with the second. My starting weight was higher the second time though, so I ended up at the same weight when I was full-term both times.
    ehLB.jpg
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    I was advised to gain 25 lbs. I gained 23 with my daughter and 21 with my son. I didn't do anything to prevent gaining weight (I was actually on bedrest with my daughter), so I guess that's the range that my body wants to be at. I do have to say that my daughter was born at 36 weeks and my son at 38, so who knows what I would be if I made it to 40+.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I weighed 137 and was 16% body fat...by the end of my first pregnancy..I weighed 177.gained 40 pounds. After that my body settled at 155 comforabl....then at the end I weighed 195..another 40 pounds. My body settled at 160 for almost 3 years.

My doctors never said anything about my weight gain...now my husband... was amazed when he saw the scales hit 195 ..... LOL...He didn't even think I was close to 200.

I think in some ways our body gains/loses what it needs too.
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I gained 50lbs w D1 and 45 with D2.

With D2 the doctor was obsessed with 'make sure you watch your weight', it really stressed me out. Then the last month she thought I lost a pound (I think the nurse just weighed me sloppy) and wigged out and hooked me up to all the monitors and scheduled another ultrasound. I was so annoyed, I rescheduled my ultrasounds until I just went into labor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • B-Nessa11B-Nessa11 Posts: 1,050Registered Users
    I only gained 11 lbs with my pregnancy. Im 5'1 weighed 158 at 8 weeks at the end I was 169. I ate good and I also walked to work n the am, 9blocks. But they never said anything about my weight.
    I'm really thick n the thighs n butt so that's where most of my weight was. I ate up a storm but my baby took all my food! I was always eating somethin. My belly was big, they thought my daughter would be 7 1/2 lbs. She was 5lbs 10oz at 40 weeks lol

How can I say goodbye P.L.G.
    Who's My Hair?
    3c/4a-b looking stuff lol
    BC- May 16, 2010
    Why I chopped: heat damage/breakage
    Luv'd my permed hair I just didnt take care of it.
    LUVVV my natural hair!!! :iconbiggrin:
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I was told I should gain 30-35 pounds but I wound up gaining 75 and 90 pounds!

• MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    I was in a normal BMI and wasn't advised on weight at all. I gained 80lbs! It took me exactly one year to take off that 80lbs :)
    That is a good reminder munchy....takes you 10 months to put that weight on....so should take same amount of time to take it off. Or in my case almost 3 years. :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    So...are you saying that I can no longer use my 12 year old as an excuse? ScratchHead.gif
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    So...are you saying that I can no longer use my 12 year old as an excuse? ScratchHead.gif

You can use 18 years per child. You're good for 72 years.

Alright, I didn't mean it that way...I just know a lot people think baby is gone...the weight should be gone immediately. Doesn't happend. Plus the stress of motherhood...etc does not help. Yes...18 years per kid...so you are good for awhile. :)
  • cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
    I was 140 and told that I should gain 25-30 pounds. I'm almost 15 weeks and I've lost about four pounds, but my doctor isn't concerned at this point.
    I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:
  • SarahMarieSarahMarie Posts: 901Registered Users
    The doctor never said anything about weight gain. I gained 11 pounds total. I ate healthy foods and walked very frequently. My daughter was 7 pounds 10 ounces. I wasn't huge before she was born, but I guess there were no concerns. I didn't ever have a huge belly and the day they induced me (at 39 weeks), they told me that on the ultrasound they were concerned she'd have a low birth weight.
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    I gained 38 with the first baby, 29 with the second. I was pretty much left alone regarding my weight gain since my blood pressure stayed normal and I did not have GD.
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    My doctor/midwife never said anything about weight gain. I gained about 35 lbs with each pregnancy. I only lost 15lbs from my first and all of the baby weight of my second. HOWEVER, I somehow gained about 15lbs two years after my 2nd son was born. :sad5:
    3c/4a
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The typical recommendation is to stay within a 25-35 lb weight gain.

I dot recall my midwife saying how much weight I should gain, or being need concerned with my weight. I can't remember how much I ended up gaining. I think it was less than 30lbs.
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • nickysmom13nickysmom13 Posts: 18Registered Users
    hey all!

i am currently 36 weeks pregnant

i gained about 29lbs. my dr didnt give me a maximum weight gain he would like. he told me i would probably gain around 40, which is okay for me id rather it be a little less but what can you do

i was so sick the first half with hyperemis so all my weight gain was from 20 weeks on-
    curl pattern:
    2c/3a
    porosity:
    medium/high
    density:
    medium
    width:
    coarse
    length:
    long
    shampoo & conditioner at the moment-
    macadamia oil by hair chemist.
    dt-coconut oil & macadamia oil deep conditioner
    products i am loving at the moment:
    macadamia oil leave in (hair chemist), miracle 7 leave in mist, ion spray gel, treseme heat protectant mousse & loreal hair texturizer
    :thumbup:
  • naturalnewbnaturalnewb Posts: 193Registered Users
    I am 5'7 and weighed about 150 when I got pregnant. I had two OB-GYNs during my pregnancy and both advised that I gain 15 -25 (suggestion was likely due to my weight and family history of hypertension).

In the end, I gained 25lbs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file