We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Content staff wants to hear from you!

GretchenGretchen AdministratorPosts: 8,979Administrators, Moderators Administrator
Happy Friday, Curlies! What is the biggest mistake your stylist has ever made cutting, curling or styling your hair?

Gretchen
NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
3A

You are beautiful!

Comments

• frxncrlsfrxncrls Posts: 252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had my hair cut an inch shorter on one side by the same stylist twice! and she she cut wonky bangs. two times was enough chances for me....
    in humidity hell south Florida or high and dry Colorado
    CG since 2005
    2a, 2b, 3b - fine hair, low density - low/normal porosity
    washing: cj curl assurance gentle cleansing, cj daily fix, as i am coconut cowash
    conditioning: cj smoothing, cj strengthening, giovanni 50/50 balance, darcy's pumpkin seed, kinky curly knot today
    styling: homemade fsg, kinky curly curling custard, cj pattern pusha
    pt: cj curl fix, cj repair me
    avoid: humectants, polyquats
  • mandy318mandy318 Posts: 14Registered Users
    Almost every stylist I've gone to dries my hair while RUNNING THEIR FINGERS THROUGH IT! This is one of the top curly no-nos! It creates so much frizz that halfway through they start to act uncomfortable and say "how about we just blow this out"?
  • SpiralSpunkSpiralSpunk Posts: 243Registered Users
    Ex- stylist decided to give me SHORT disconnected layers. Kiss of death.
  • sdkittysdkitty Posts: 358Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ex- stylist decided to give me SHORT disconnected layers. Kiss of death.

I ended up with square head - wide on the sides and couldn't seem to get it fixed with that hairdresser
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,983Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My stylist cut my hair extremely short in a punk type style. I was in my 50's and I am so not punk. Eeewww!

Plus it was a super straight style, glued in place with tons of hairspray which lasted about 5 minutes.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • ss40ss40 Posts: 1,790Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Not listening to my goals for my hair & trying to upsell.

These are my curlfessions
    :nike:About my hair:
    weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
    daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
    go to style-Pocahontas braids
  • AllSpiceAllSpice Posts: 20Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Razoring my curls and refusing to cut my hair dry (and curly). I hate when they insist on straightening my hair first!
    3B, fine, high porosity, highlighted hair
  • oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Posts: 640Registered Users
    Putting a brush anywhere near my head!
    whurly girly (2C/3A).
    thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
    hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
    CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
    LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
    Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • Cristy_amkCristy_amk Posts: 171Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    To me it's when they don't listen. If I go to the doctor and say a certain medication doesn't work for me I wouldn't expect them to prescribe it to me. When I go to a stylist I respect that they went to school to learn how to cut hear, but I expect when I say things like "Don't thin out, cut too short, style straight, etc." that they are going to respect my requests and cut my hair accordingly. I'd also expect if they cannot cut my hair following these rules that they'd tell me up front so I can find someone who can.
  • ssa79ssa79 Posts: 37Registered Users
    edit
    Hairtype: 2C-3A/Highly Porous/High Density
    Co-wash: Devacurl No-Poo
    Daily Conditioner: Devacurl One Condition
    Leave In: KCKT (still experimenting)
    Gel: KCCC (still experimenting)
  • dianemary126dianemary126 Posts: 184Registered Users
    taking too much off and adding layers when i said please just give me a trim and i do not want layers. the frustration i can't even begin to explain.
    Diane
    NYC/NJ
    2c/3a..fine/regular texture..normal porosity..low elasticity..high density..cherub curls

MONAT all natural hair products are the absolute BEST
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dianemary.mymonat.com" class="Popup

goals: grow out bad breakage cut and artificial hair color1
    last softener: Sept 2010
    last color: 2.14.15
    last cut/trim: 4.7.15

blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fdianemarybeauty.blogspot.com" class="Popup
  • jaclyn15jaclyn15 Posts: 227Registered Users
    Firstly, I do not like when a stylist acts like she knows how to do curly hair, then proceeds to give me an awful haircut. Do not have this air of confidence, talk to me like you understand, then ruin my hair.

But the biggest problem I have is BAD LAYERS. So many stylists have given me layers that are too short, too chunky (the dreaded "shelf" layers), or ones that just don't blend or make the underneath look thin. I do not know how this keeps happening to me because I always try to be vigilant. Had another terrible cut in early December and I'll be growing this one out for awhile.

NaturallyCurly... help us! lol
    My hair: 3b, corkicelli, medium porosity, medium texture, medium/thick density

Co-wash: DevaCurl NoPoo
    Rinse-out: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut, or my rinse-out!
    Gel: SS FHG (my new HG!!)... I also like HESMU, AIF, CJ CQ, BRHG, CJ PP and the occasional LALSG

Dislikes: Glycerin

CG and loving it! :hello1:
  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    Hi, Gretchen,

The worst mistake I've come across is when they claim to know your curls better then you do. (I've had this hair for nearly 50 years. I think I know what it does.)

I told my previous hair lady that my curls are tighter and thus shrink up more on top and front (4A) than at the nape (more 3C). So I asked her to cut more in the back.

She said, "No. Your hair is curlier in the back." So she didn't cut much in the back as I asked. The cut initially looked good... for a few weeks. Then the "curly mullet" was beginning to form.

Yeah... I don't think she'll get near my hair ever again! :protest:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.twitter.com%2Fkurleeedna" class="Popup
  • l.deonl.deon Posts: 235Registered Users
    Definitely cutting too much off and telling me that she's the stylist, so she knows what's best for my hair!
    3B Mod CG
    Medium texture/ Normal to low porosity / High density

Current Routine:

Shampoo- GTTT, GVP Paul Mitchell Tea tree Shampoo or ACV/ Baking soda (once a week)
    Co wash- Trader Joes Nourish Spa
    Leave in- Shea Moisture Shea Butter leave- in, Elucence
    Gel- BRHG

Holy grail combo Feb 2013: ISO Bouncy Creme with BRHG on top! :blob3:
  • NvmbrCurlssNvmbrCurlss Posts: 732Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I asked the stylist not to thin my hair. Well...she hid the shears, but proceeded to thin my hair with scissors, razor style. I had NO idea that this was what was going on, until I felt my thin hair and followed up on research that night. I will NEVER go back!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
    LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
    NoP: As I Am CC
    RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
    LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
  • NvmbrCurlssNvmbrCurlss Posts: 732Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I also always get asked about blow outs, when I show up with it curly! Straight hair is not the status quo folks!!! Rant, over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
    LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
    NoP: As I Am CC
    RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
    LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    cutting my hair wet and ending up making it way too short. i was left with layers that started about eye level -____- took forever to grow back out. and recently half my hair was dyed and bleach was used but no one told me how vital it was to treat that hair afterward so now i have half curly/wavy and half dried up damaged bleached hair.
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    Well how much time do I have? Okay, I'll just share one story then lol: The stylist stretching each curl straight before cutting it. Ended up w/a strange, asymmetrical hair "shelf" on one side because of that.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh boy. Where to begin.

Pretending they know how to cut curly hair when they're clueless.

Not listening to the client because they think they know hair and that the client's lifetime of experience with her hair is invalid.

Agreeing to trim split ends from hair the client clearly states she is growing, which is below the shoulders, then cutting it into a cap style, and saying, "It's only hair. It will grow."

Thinking that a client's inability to see what they're doing when her glasses are off means they may disregard her instructions, and do anything they want to her hair.

Trying to book a next appointment for a client who is so distraught about how her hair was butchered that she's in tears.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had a stylist literally argue with me over shrinkage because she cut off more than i asked and i was upset. She was so adamant it just could not possibly shrink that much. I sat under a heat lamp till it dried just to prove her wrong.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CurlTalk App
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Staff, how about fixing all the issues people are having when trying to edit our accounts??
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Good for you for making sure she saw what she'd done to your hair!
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • ShadiyahShadiyah Posts: 11Registered Users
    ok, years ago I went to this salon for the first time to have my hair done and I was natural and I asked her if my hair would be able to get a wrap. she tells me yes. I didn't know any better and she was the stylist. Well wrapping your hair requires moisture and then you going to wrap that wet curly hair around it's self and sit under a dryer. Do I have to tell you all what my hair looked like after it was dry with a bunch of styling lotion on it.

She tried to comb my hair out and instead of her saying well it is not going to work and rewet it and do my hair over she let me walk out the shop like that and me not knowing any better and too scared to say anything I never said a word just left and went home and did my hair over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    BC 12/2008
    Current L: BSL
    Goal: HL
    HT: 3b
    curlyummi.com
  • learning2luvmycurlslearning2luvmycurls Posts: 25Registered Users
    I see this as my fault, because I kept changing stylists, but now I've found one I trust (Mary)and will stay with her. However, before that I ended up with one stylist that cut my shortest layer 2 inches from my head! I told her I wanted LONG layers and she still cut it short. I was in shock....I've only recently been able to get it in a pony tail because it was so short. And not only did she cut the layers short, she razor cut the rest of it....I looked like Joan Jet. Anyway, it's been 8 months now, and that layer is about eye level now, and my goal is to get the shortest layer down to my chin. When I finally ended up with my current stylist I will now stay with, I feel like I had a sort of counseling session with her first before I let her do anything on me. I told her my horror story and told her I was scared to even let anyone touch my hair again. All she ended up doing with me that day was "clean up the edges" because we both agreed that I'm still in the growing out process. I love her and trust her....I'm done bouncing around to different stylists....I'm staying with "Mary" now forever!
    Fine/3a-c hair, CG since 2006
    C/O wash: Suave Waterlily Aloe, As I am Coconut Co-wash
    Stylers: Kinky Curly Custard Cream, Kinky Curly Knot Today Detangler,Herbal Essence Set me Free Gel, Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    HG: Neutral protein filler
    DT: Coconut Oil, Argan Oil
    Special Considerations: I frequently color because I have almost 50% grey, I use a semi-permanent to reduce damage
  • PomegranateCurlPomegranateCurl Posts: 212Registered Users
    Thinning shears! I live in Singapore and not very many stylists know anything about cutting even wavy hair. :( This guy thinned out my hair so much. The shortest bits of hair now curl up and just kind of sit on top of the rest of my hair, since they're "divorced" from their respective curls. Talk about frizz! And in such high humidity... it's been raining almost every day for the last 4 months. Singapore= worst formula for curly hair. It will probably take a full year for the shortest bits of hair, which were sheared to eye level, to grow out. -.- Actually, I'm new to this board and the CG method etc... and my current haircut is what made me desperate to fix my awful hair. (So far, I'm seeing an improvement.)
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    Sorry to hear about your crappy misadventure. What do you plan to do about cutting your hair in the future (assuming you'll continue living in that region of the world)?
  • bobbybobby Posts: 669Registered Users Curl Novice
    You know what's funny as hell. When I contacted a prospective employer about a part time side job, I still had a long mane/fro of curls. I contacted them on a Sunday and they wanted to interview me on the next day (Monday). I didn't have time for a haircut but instead of tousling it with spray gel to create sassy curls, I had to make it look at least semi-respectable. So, what I did was shower, blow-dry my hair using a round styling brush. After that I curled my hair with my wife's curling iron. LMAO It gave the appearance that I cut my hair. Even though I did it a few days later. You are probably still laughing that a guy curled his hair. Well, I got the job. Maybe it was the luck of the curling iron.:icon_smile:
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
  • LightCurls98LightCurls98 Posts: 3Registered Users
    She straightned my hair and gave me a "straght hair cut". Next day i washed it and i had a choppy mess!!!!
  • Allison_Allison_ Posts: 10Registered Users
    I washed and dried my hair before I went to the stylist's so that she could see the shape of my curl. I declined a shampoo, so she proceeded to wet down one side of my head with a spray bottle! I didn't even know that was an option. I stopped her halfway and she cut my hair unevenly. When it dried, each side of my head curled differently because they were different weights. I ended up calling the salon and getting it redone by one of the head stylists for free and I loved the way she fixed it. I now know to walk out of the chair if they even pick up the spray bottle.
    Co-Wash, Cone Free, No Heat
    Growing out bleach damage
    Hair currently dyed: Dark Blue Dye: Special Effects
    Shampoo, Conditioner, Hair Gel, Argan Oil
    3A/2C,fine, mix of porosity b/c bleach and growing out roots.
    Just above shoulder length wet/ above shoulder length dry
    Hopefully going for longer hair once the damage is gone
  • CurvyWhirlyMessCurvyWhirlyMess Posts: 11Registered Users
    Not listening and lying about knowing how to cut curly hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file