CurlTalk

Do you publicly compliment curlies?

You know how good it feels sometimes to have strangers compliment your hair out of the blue? Well, do you find yourself on the giving end of that, spontaneously complimenting curly strangers when you're in public? What's the usual (or unusual) reaction you get from them?

I've noticed positive reactions. I love the sheer pleasure of looking at so many wonderful heads of curls and coils, and it just gets the best of me sometimes and I have to say something :blob8::blob7::blob2::blob: Anyone else do this?
«1

Comments

  • MissDarceiMissDarcei Posts: 193Registered Users
    I always want to but im pretty shy so I never do :(
    3c Hair
    Fine Strands, High Density, Low Porosity
    CG since August 2011
    :love4:Loving my hair!!!:love4:
  • tenapaigetenapaige Posts: 208Registered Users
    Once after my deva cut there was a client after me and her curls were really nice but her hair looked like it was "9 day" hair lol I know youre suppose to go in with your hair in its natural state maybe 2nd 3rd day hair that way the stylist gets an idea of how your hair is but Omg lol and I felt bad because I wanted to tell her she had pretty hair when it really kinda wasnt so I said "wow you have really curly hair" (palm on forehead, dumb moment) lol
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    MissDarcei wrote: »
    I always want to but im pretty shy so I never do :(

    Yeah, but you get a free pass Darcei because you have that wonderful channel on Youtube that helps curlies everywhere :sunny:

    (Lots of people don't have the guts to post public tutorials, btw.)

    tenapaige wrote: »
    Once after my deva cut there was a client after me and her curls were really nice but her hair looked like it was "9 day" hair lol I know youre suppose to go in with your hair in its natural state maybe 2nd 3rd day hair that way the stylist gets an idea of how your hair is but Omg lol and I felt bad because I wanted to tell her she had pretty hair when it really kinda wasnt so I said "wow you have really curly hair" (palm on forehead, dumb moment) lol

    This made me laugh. I think you were pretty humane. Imagine if you'd slipped and told her the brutal truth :shock:
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    Yes, I do. I will walk past someone and say, "I love your curls" and it always gets a smile and a thank you!!!

    I have dated several guys with 3a/3b curls (I was just thinking about this last week) and I complimented them on their hair continuously.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,238Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    ^^ ditto.
    I know how pleases I feel when I get compliments so I like to pass those happy feelings on.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    Sometimes I do. Sometimes I don't. I'm not the least bit shy. My friends complain that I will talk to anybody but it depends on the vibe I get from the person. I compliment both men and women on their curls.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • ElizabethFaithElizabethFaith Posts: 429Registered Users
    I do, but I'm more comfortable with complementing women/girls, because men/boys sometimes assume that I am flirting with them! Such an awkward situation! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly and PROUD!!!

    My hair has a mix of low/med/high porosity, and it's medium textured (some are still fine, though!)

    CG since Sept. 2011
    Cowash: Vo5/Suave Naturals/Tresemme Naturals*
    RO/LI: GVPCB*, Tresemme Naturals*
    Low-poo: Shea Moisture Moisture Retention
    Stylers: KCKT*, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Honey*

    * represents my HGs!!! Finally!!!
  • bobbybobby Posts: 669Registered Users
    Korkscrew wrote: »
    You know how good it feels sometimes to have strangers compliment your hair out of the blue? Well, do you find yourself on the giving end of that, spontaneously complimenting curly strangers when you're in public? What's the usual (or unusual) reaction you get from them?

    I've noticed positive reactions. I love the sheer pleasure of looking at so many wonderful heads of curls and coils, and it just gets the best of me sometimes and I have to say something :blob8::blob7::blob2::blob: Anyone else do this?

    Korkscrew, I definitely do this and I find that women are pleasantly surprised -- in a good way. Though I don't get as many as I would like. YOU, however, are one curly I will publically compliment. Once again, you have a gorgeous head of curls.:)
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

    "Curls aren't just for girls"
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    Jeepcurlygurl, totally agree with you: feels great to pass it forward!

    Fifi. G, How cool that you've dated several curly guys. For some reason, my dating history includes mostly straight-haired ones (as is my hubby).

    Adthomas, LOL you sound a lot like me. My friends say the same thing too ;)

    Elizabeth, yeah, isn't it funny how the simple act of complimenting someone can be so politically charged? Anyway, I can relate.

    Bobby, I'm sure your comments make people very happy. Thanks again for the compliment! Keep rockin those curls :D
  • mandy318mandy318 Posts: 14Registered Users
    I do! I love talking to other curlies about their hair.

    For the record, best public compliment I've ever received: "I love your hair! It's so wiggly!" :)
  • ChaklatChaklat Posts: 89Registered Users
    I give compliments all the time. I love when I get compliments, especially when I'm asked if I'm wearing a wig or a weave. The look on their face after I say no is priceless.

    Sent from my HTC PH39100 using CurlTalk App
  • NvmbrCurlssNvmbrCurlss Posts: 732Registered Users
    I compliment whenever I get the chance;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
    LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
    NoP: As I Am CC
    RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
    LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)


    "To much is given, much is expected"
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    Yup! It's like a secret club...LOL
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas


    My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • bobbybobby Posts: 669Registered Users
    Chaklat wrote: »
    I give compliments all the time. I love when I get compliments, especially when I'm asked if I'm wearing a wig or a weave. The look on their face after I say no is priceless.

    Sent from my HTC PH39100 using CurlTalk App

    I might be able to equal or top that. Not long ago I was asked if I was bring back the "man perm." I was floored beyond belief.:) As a guy, when I give compliments, I find it hit or miss on how women take my compliments. Some look at it like, "OMG, he's coming on to me" and others are very thrilled. Thankfully it's the latter more often than not.
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

    "Curls aren't just for girls"
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    MissDarcei wrote: »
    I always want to but im pretty shy so I never do :(

    LoL! Me too. Sometimes I'll tell them how pretty their hair is or I like it.,,

    Other times I just stare and stalk them around the store or whatever. LoL!

    O.O
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    Chaklat wrote: »
    I give compliments all the time. I love when I get compliments, especially when I'm asked if I'm wearing a wig or a weave. The look on their face after I say no is priceless.

    Sent from my HTC PH39100 using CurlTalk App

    Funny! Do any of them take it further and ask how you get it to look "that way" (fishing for instructions)? Do any of them act like they think you're lying?
  • bobbybobby Posts: 669Registered Users
    MissDarcei wrote: »
    I always want to but im pretty shy so I never do :(

    LoL! Me too. Sometimes I'll tell them how pretty their hair is or I like it.,,

    Other times I just stare and stalk them around the store or whatever. LoL!

    O.O

    I try to do it as often as I can but the time I give the compliment in say the store, it's normally the clerk.
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

    "Curls aren't just for girls"
  • fefe912fefe912 Posts: 570Registered Users
    I give compliments all the time and don't care if you're a guy, girl or kid lol If I love their hair I usually say something and they usually compliment me back which is also nice then it starts up a conversation about natural hair lol. That happens often especially when I'm at work or if I go shopping somewhere, we start talking about products and techniques lol.
  • greencup13greencup13 Posts: 596Registered Users
    I work at a front desk at a dr office. Every head that comes in with a nice set of curls that walks in the door I say "Iove the hair" with a big smile. My coworkers tell me I'm biased towards curly hair because I never comment on straight hair. ;0) maybe I am.
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Combo Low and High porosity
    Medium coarse texture

    Goosefootprints hair analysis
    Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
    RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
    LI- As I Am leave in,
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Style- la looks sport gel
  • CurlyJ9CurlyJ9 Posts: 23Registered Users
    Korkscrew wrote: »
    Chaklat wrote: »
    I give compliments all the time. I love when I get compliments, especially when I'm asked if I'm wearing a wig or a weave. The look on their face after I say no is priceless.

    I always give compliments on curlies and I'm so guilty of asking them how they fix their hair! I never thought of it the way you have it here. I'm just looking for their tips or to see if they use CG Method like me.
    Sent from my HTC PH39100 using CurlTalk App

    Funny! Do any of them take it further and ask how you get it to look "that way" (fishing for instructions)? Do any of them act like they think you're lying?



    Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
    Curly Girl From Texas
    3a-3b
    Low Porosity
    Medium Density
  • CurlyJ9CurlyJ9 Posts: 23Registered Users
    My reply didn't come thru :-(

    I always compliment curlies & I'm so guilty of asking them how they get their hair so gorgeous. I never thought of it the way you say it here. I'm just looking for tips or advice or to see if they use the CG method like me.

    Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
    Curly Girl From Texas
    3a-3b
    Low Porosity
    Medium Density
  • bobbybobby Posts: 669Registered Users
    CurlyJ9 wrote: »
    My reply didn't come thru :-(

    I always compliment curlies & I'm so guilty of asking them how they get their hair so gorgeous. I never thought of it the way you say it here. I'm just looking for tips or advice or to see if they use the CG method like me.

    Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App

    This is one of the more interesting threads I've come across since joining NC.com. I think because we're told straight hair is the "in thing" it feels that much better to be complimented. J9, you have lovely hair.:)
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

    "Curls aren't just for girls"
  • testimony777testimony777 Posts: 237Registered Users
    I give compliments to women all the time (I almost never compliment men because I don't want it to be taken the wrong way). I I have never gotten a bad reaction but people are often visibly surprised.
    Hair Stats (CG since 3/31/12)
    Type: 3c/b; Density: M; Texture: F-M; Porosity: L-N

    Products
    Cleanser: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: DevaCurl Original One Condition
    Leave-in: DevaCurl B'Leave-in
    Stylers: DevaCurl Volumizing Frizz Free Foam, DevaCurl Beautiful Mess, DevaCurl Flexible Hold Hairspray
    Refresher: DevaCurl No Comb Detangling Spray
    Finisher: DevaCurl Shine Spray
  • bobbybobby Posts: 669Registered Users
    I give compliments to women all the time (I almost never compliment men because I don't want it to be taken the wrong way). I I have never gotten a bad reaction but people are often visibly surprised.

    Speaking as I guy, I can see where they take it the wrong way because they are hardwired to think a certain way about having curls. I admit I was one of them. I've gotten a few compliments but wish I would get more. Well, I got one the other day from my 67-year old auntie. That definitely made me feel good.:)
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

    "Curls aren't just for girls"
  • bobbybobby Posts: 669Registered Users
    And lest I forget, you have a beautiful head of curls, Testimony777.:)
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

    "Curls aren't just for girls"
  • sdkittysdkitty Posts: 358Registered Users
    I do but it depends on the situation and how approachable they are. If someone is walking by or is engaged in conversation or something I won't pursue them. But if someone is engaging with me or in an aproachable situation and has really nice curly hair, I'll say something.
    Only a couple of times have I asked how someone got their curly look. One time it was asking who cut a woman's hair and that worked out great; I went to her hairdresser with excellent results. The other time I asked about products and the results I got weren't as good as hoped.
  • CurlyB_CurlyB_ Posts: 126Registered Users
    Today I was coplimented by a 2 year old fellow curly :happy4: She was such a cuty!! She entered the tramway with her mom, stared at me with big eyes, then turned to her mother and said "Look her hair!!Look! It is so beautiful and so long.. I want mine to look like that mummy"

    After that her mother started a conversation with me about how hard it is to look after her daughters hair, and she wants it to look pretty but it is so hard because of tangles, dryness blablabla...to make long story short: i think i got her hooked up on the CG method :love5: Haha it wasn't even my purpose but she asked what i do, and when i told her she seemed really interested

    The little one made my day :love1:
  • GaladrielGaladriel Posts: 12Registered Users
    When I can get over my shyness I do. :)
  • MojoDojoMojoDojo Posts: 702Registered Users
    Haha, I've chased after people to tell them their hair is gorgeous. LOL

    It usually goes something like...

    "Hey! Hey you!" *pant pant* "Your hair is" *pant pant* "Absolutely gorgeous!!!" *pant pant*

    I get some weird looks but most of them seem happy about the compliment!
    I AM THE NEANDERTHAL SLAYER!!!
  • testimony777testimony777 Posts: 237Registered Users
    bobby wrote: »
    I give compliments to women all the time (I almost never compliment men because I don't want it to be taken the wrong way). I I have never gotten a bad reaction but people are often visibly surprised.

    Speaking as I guy, I can see where they take it the wrong way because they are hardwired to think a certain way about having curls. I admit I was one of them. I've gotten a few compliments but wish I would get more. Well, I got one the other day from my 67-year old auntie. That definitely made me feel good.:)

    Thank you for saying this. It honestly never occurred to me that a curly guy might need the same kind of encouragement that we curly girls do or that a compliment about their hair might have the same impact it does for us. I am going to keep this in mind the next time I see a guy with great curls.

    bobby wrote: »
    And lest I forget, you have a beautiful head of curls, Testimony777.:)

    Thank you! :sunny:
    Hair Stats (CG since 3/31/12)
    Type: 3c/b; Density: M; Texture: F-M; Porosity: L-N

    Products
    Cleanser: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: DevaCurl Original One Condition
    Leave-in: DevaCurl B'Leave-in
    Stylers: DevaCurl Volumizing Frizz Free Foam, DevaCurl Beautiful Mess, DevaCurl Flexible Hold Hairspray
    Refresher: DevaCurl No Comb Detangling Spray
    Finisher: DevaCurl Shine Spray
«1