curl types

I do get a little confused with girl types
The stylist told I had bottcelli curls but I always thought botticelli were larger wavier 'S ' shape curls

And do they fall under 3b's or 3a's or can they be both ??
the pictures just get me more confused .
A Curly Girl living in a barbie World :laughing6:

Comments

• Cellogirl05Cellogirl05 Posts: 2Registered Users
    I would say 3a, based on what I know about your curls, however since it can differ a lot it could be 3b or even 2b if its looser. I would look at the width when they are curled and compare that to the description on the website. :mrgreen:
  • simone.tunzisimone.tunzi Posts: 30Registered Users
    I would say 3a, based on what I know about your curls, however since it can differ a lot it could be 3b or even 2b if its looser. I would look at the width when they are curled and compare that to the description on the website. :mrgreen:

Pretty confused as I went to a deva trained stylist
    and she advised me my curl type was Botticelli
    Not corkscrew because I have a loose curl pattern
    But I really don't think I am a 3a ....

I think hair density might also be confusing me
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The newer Curly Girl Book uses names, rather then number designations for curls. I'd suggest getting the book, the DVD that comes with it is worth the price. It demonstrates how to style, cut, etc. There are Corkscrew Curls, Botticelli Curls, Corkicelli Curls, etc.

IMHO, Botticelli Curls are larger and don't start at the root. Corkicelli Curls are tighter and have root curl. Another descriptor that LM uses is that Corkicelli Curls are curly all year around. Before I came on nc.com and started to user product and technique, my hair was winter wavy/summer 3a. Now it looks like my signature picture everyday. Hence, it's Corkicelli.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kathymack wrote: »
    The newer Curly Girl Book uses names, rather then number designations for curls. I'd suggest getting the book, the DVD that comes with it is worth the price. It demonstrates how to style, cut, etc. There are Corkscrew Curls, Botticelli Curls, Corkicelli Curls, etc.

IMHO, Botticelli Curls are larger and don't start at the root. Corkicelli Curls are tighter and have root curl. Another descriptor that LM uses is that Corkicelli Curls are curly all year around. Before I came on nc.com and started to user product and technique, my hair was winter wavy/summer 3a. Now it looks like my signature picture everyday. Hence, it's Corkicelli.

Actually I have had the book awhile and the stylist I went to I found from their website as they are devan trained.
    It actually made me more confused.All she said is that I am a definite botticelli . My hair does grow out very straight .But when looking at the pictures they honestly get very confusing .
    Everyone talks about the curl number they are ...even the movile app for the website asks and lol I keep going back and forth as I am really uncertain . Many botticellis to me have large loos S shapes.I think mine are smaller S shapes .

I will attach a picture
    sorry not sure why it keeps posting large for me .This is when I first went CG the top hair was not hydrated enough.She said probably due to all my flat ironing as well as she said sun exposure .But it did not take too long my hair since then is really well hydrated all of it .I love the CG method.
    Though as with my son ( my post ) it seems their is the group that loves CG and the other that hates it .My husband would kill me if he knew how much I spent on hair products since then .Most deva lol
    55411610151116910556301.jpg
    I was actually thinking about getting the older book from amazon
    Btw sorry about the typos I use my iPhone to reply on the
    Forums and I always get a lot of typos due to the
    Keyboard and my large thumb lol
    As you stated Botticelli curls are larger then cork
    And corkicelli. I don't think mine is.
    From the book it has the characters of Botticelli
    S shap curls(their really longated) I can't actual
    Say it curly.my roots are very straight and then as my hai
    Becomes longer gets curly.my hair grows down not outwards as
    I saw that mentioned somewhere about differences
    My hair was diffused (upside down in the salon)btw for volume.
    I think this may be why I have heard so many people
    Say they do not believe in the number method for typing
    Hair.
  • jsuzkelleyjsuzkelley Posts: 610Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree curl types are confusing. Even the CG book types don't really give me an exact match. My hair fits the description of Botticelli best, but I only have about 4" spring factor, which matches with the Wavy description. Also, some of my hair looks like the 'swavy pictures, but my hair has never been confused as straight. When I look at your pic, I agree your curls look tighter than what I would normally think of as Botticelli, but it's more the shape, spring factor, and behavior of the curl that fits that description.

So, who knows? I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    2c/3a, botticelli/wavy/'swavy (huh?)
    fine, dense, normal porosity/elasticity, dry climate
    My favorite brands are Kinky Curly, As I am, Curly Kinks, Curl Junkie, and Darcy's Botanicals. Also love sealing with oils (loving argan oil right now) and styling with jelly products (KCCC is my current favorite). Mostly trying to keep it simple!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since 12/29/2011 :laughing6:
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I wouldn't waste money on the newer book. From looking at your picture and referring back to the second book, your hair looks like it's Corkscrew. It's in between the two picture examples and exactly like the piece of hair in the middle!

That being said, curl type is of relatively little importance. It's hair properties that matter.

As far as the stylist giving you the wrong information--I'd say, if you liked the cut, go back. If not, don't. Just don't ask her questions, or carefully consider the information that she gives you. It may not be correct.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kathymack wrote: »
    I wouldn't waste money on the newer book. From looking at your picture and referring back to the second book, your hair looks like it's Corkscrew. It's in between the two picture examples and exactly like the piece of hair in the middle!

That being said, curl type is of relatively little importance. It's hair properties that matter.

As far as the stylist giving you the wrong information--I'd say, if you liked the cut, go back. If not, don't. Just don't ask her questions, or carefully consider the information that she gives you. It may not be correct.

Interestingly though when you look at my hair by strands though
    I have no corkscrews .... Two girls were in the salon with corkscrews and she showed me the comparisons and said density had nothing to do with pattern of curls ...I don't think now I fall within any type !
    Because when you refer to the book I also don't have corkscrews or corkicelli
    But I guess that is also like so many other things in my life.... Lol
    My sister has polar opposit hair to mine
    I'm half Chinese. On my dad side and my mom is a mix of
    South American native(Amerindians) ,Chinese,German ,Egyptian and Portuguese. And I have people who come up to me and tell me they know
    My children aren't mine lol
    oh I forgot to add my hair only has a 5 inch spring ....which then the cg book is wrong hence all the confusion
    jsuzkelley wrote: »
    I agree curl types are confusing. Even the CG book types don't really give me an exact match. My hair fits the description of Botticelli best, but I only have about 4" spring factor, which matches with the Wavy description. Also, some of my hair looks like the 'swavy pictures, but my hair has never been confused as straight. When I look at your pic, I agree your curls look tighter than what I would normally think of as Botticelli, but it's more the shape, spring factor, and behavior of the curl that fits that description.

thanks ...I know.trying to match my hair with the book ,online everything is confusing .I have compared so many pictures even on line and said' hold on it looks just like another curly who is a different curl type and then another picture of another which looks the same but once again several curls that appear the same to me are being labelled different.I actually love corkscrews but my hair won't give me those curls .without product .it almost believe it or not has no curls without the leave ins :(
    jsuzkelley wrote: »

I know by the discussion with the stylist that she determined it by the shape and behavior of my curls as I first debated with her I was a corkscrew and she said density had nothing to do with it.
    And when she compared all the factors to me especially when she showed me my hair to a cork screw and corkacelli it was very much not alike
    :dontknow:
  • tenapaigetenapaige Posts: 208Registered Users
    I agree dont worry about curl type all curls are different as long as u know how to manage it to me texture is more important so that u know what products will give u more hold and wont weigh ur hair down
    tenapaige wrote: »
    I agree dont worry about curl type all curls are different as long as u know how to manage it to me texture is more important so that u know what products will give u more hold and wont weigh ur hair down
    Lol funny you should say that I was irritated at myself
    For buying the kc curling custard because it was getting wave reviews
    Then I tries it and was in awe it was horrid !!! I felt like I
    Had a football helmet on but the someone on the forum gave
    A recipe with Eco gel (adding Shea ) and I loves it!
    Despite the way my hair looks in pictures it actually is not highly textured .
    But it is very dense (I think) that is the best way to describe it.
    I have a lot of strands per square sq inch :)
    I was roller setting my sisters hair for her and it was so weird !i mean her hair seemed so scarce compared to mine.
    Giovanni leave in an 50:50 I found the best for me .at first I did not like the
    Deva curl one condition but now my hair is starting to like it
    Exactlyyyy... For example I have wavy/curly hair but my hair is too fine for creamier products that weigh my hair down such as "kinky creams" but too coarse for some products that (no offense) alot of caucasian women who have finer hair can use and usually have that wavy/curly 3A/B pattern but sometimes if a product states it is for a particular curl pattern it actually may be better suited for that pattern but at the end of the day just find a product thats gonna match ur hair properties lol thats ur best bet
    Exactlyyyy... For example I have wavy/curly hair but my hair is too fine for creamier products that weigh my hair down such as "kinky creams" but too coarse for some products that (no offense) alot of caucasian women who have finer hair can use and usually have that wavy/curly 3A/B pattern but sometimes if a product states it is for a particular curl pattern it actually may be better suited for that pattern but at the end of the day just find a product thats gonna match ur hair properties lol thats ur best bet

Heavy creams don't work for me at all.it makes
    My hair stick feel very weighted as well.i prefer lighter formulas I find they
    Work better for me.I purchased curls unleashed
    Revival on the weekend because the did not have
    The deva styling cream I wanted(I think I wanted a substitute
    Very badly) I placed it on while my hair was wet
    Like directed and when dried felt horridly weighted.
    I am not sure i subscribe to the belief that a race
    Has only one type of hair ,sorry....I should word that better
    I don't believe even having the same hair type the same products would suit
    You.As reading reviews I see people who post they have the same curl type
    And one it might agree with .... And the other a disaster.
    That being said I have a grave yard of products. I was thinking
    Their should be a charity you could donate your products to for Christmas .:toothy4:
    Actually for some reason out of the blue I am reminded
    Of a comment my dad made 'Chinese people should only go to
    Other Chinese for hair cuts' lol my dad is your typical
    Stereotype Asian accountant with a generic hair cut.
    Funny my dad has never uses any type of styling product ....
    Except for the cheapest (cough cough ) the shampoo on sale
    And hi hair has a glossy healthy shine!
    As for types of hair my friend is Scottish and Irish and her hair is thick
    And friZzy naturally

Heavy creams don't work for me at all.it makes
    My hair stick feel very weighted as well.i prefer lighter formulas I find they
    Work better for me.I purchased curls unleashed
    Revival on the weekend because the did not have
    The deva styling cream I wanted(I think I wanted a substitute
    Very badly) I placed it on while my hair was wet
    Like directed and when dried felt horridly weighted.
    I am not sure i subscribe to the belief that a race
    Has only one type of hair ,sorry....I should word that better
    I don't believe even having the same hair type the same products would suit
    You.As reading reviews I see people who post they have the same curl type
    And one it might agree with .... And the other a disaster.
    That being said I have a grave yard of products. I was thinking
    Their should be a charity you could donate your products to for Christmas .:toothy4:

Haha thats a great idea u should try to move forward with that
    Well the deva trained stylist I don't think was wrong
    That is why she actually did not believe in curl numbers
    Which is probably why the new book does not have curls types in numbers
    Just the actual shape and properties of the curl
    I don't mean to offend people who go by the numbers but
    It appears too many contradictions and I know why people say the numbers are bogus
    Hence that is the conclusion !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file