Anyone else add their own scent to their conditioner?

lushaholiclushaholic Posts: 2,180Registered Users
I've been meaning to ask this for a while but always forget. I usually like the way most of my conditioners smell, but since I have a lot of perfume oils from BPAL, I was wondering if there would be any harm in adding some drops to my bottle of condish, or if it would be better to just add a drop in my hand each time I use my condish. There are no alcohols in them, just oils, so I can't think of why they wouldn't be CG-safe. Ideas anyone? :D
3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif

Comments

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have added an amber/sandalwood blend to the "no added fragrance" version of TooShea! without problems.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    If it's just a few drops I don't see how it can hurt.
    I've added patchouli to conditioner before (ok no hippy comments I like hippy smells just fine! :P )

I think peppermint oil or eucalyptus might have some qualities you don't want in say a leave in or a moisturizing rinse out but on a co wash even those should be fine.

What the heck is BPAL?
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    http://public.fotki.com/Medusahair/

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • lushaholiclushaholic Posts: 2,180Registered Users
    What is BPAL you ask? Oh my dear medusahair prepare yourself for some enabling. :lol: It's hundreds and hundreds of blended perfume oils, more combinations than you can imagine. You can buy them in 'imps' (about 1ml in size amd $3 each) or 5ml glass bottles (15-17.50 each) . But prepeare yourself, they are addicting. The website is here, but don't get scared off by all the gothy design, I promise it's not a cult. :lol: You can go to the search function and search by scents you want in a blend, like vanilla, caramel, coconut, jasmine, tobacco, etc!
  • pro211pro211 Posts: 110Registered Users
    Oh I do so love my BPAL !!I smell like Mme.Moriarty today , yummy !
    Lush , I think it would be fine to add some oil to your condish .
    Mme Moriarty!! I came *this* close to getting that one but chickened out. Is it anything like Bordello? Bordello is my baby of the GC's.
    You know I've never smelled Bordello . I'll have to put that one on my list .
    But you must try MM. It has something snake oilish but so so much better . Its really drop dead sexy.
    Darn! Now I'm kicking myself. See I ended up scaring myself out of it by reading all the reviews. I'm actually not a big Snake Oil or O fan, and I kept seeing references to both. Someone mentioned Red or Pink Phoenix as well and I definitely didn't like those. What I really want are the Monsterbaits and Eat Me. :evil:
    Figures the two scents I want to try so far are Sins :twisted:
    Boy they combine some wild things.
    It's gonna take me a year to finish looking around the site! yay a new obsession,,,,,,,,, er time killer :oops:
    2c/3a?

• JeanGenieJeanGenie Posts: 33Registered Users
    lushaholic wrote:
    I've been meaning to ask this for a while but always forget. I usually like the way most of my conditioners smell, but since I have a lot of perfume oils from BPAL, I was wondering if there would be any harm in adding some drops to my bottle of condish, or if it would be better to just add a drop in my hand each time I use my condish. There are no alcohols in them, just oils, so I can't think of why they wouldn't be CG-safe. Ideas anyone? :D

I've never added my own perfume oils to conditioner, but that is a fabulous idea! I would try a little in your hand one day, just so you can gauge if the smell is too strong and how much to put in the bottle. You could even split out your conditioner into 2 or 3 bottles, so you can have a different scent depending on your mood.

I would figure that, if they don't irritate your skin, they should be okay to put in your hair.
    Hair type: 3A. Almost chin length with Bettie bangs. Currently using GF Curl & Shine S/C, leave in and jojoba oil. Colored black. Check out my curly journal on this site!
  • FearnotsomuchFearnotsomuch Posts: 368Registered Users
    You know... I avoid the BPAL threads as much as possible over at the lush forum but then I come over here and there it is! Maybe if I just buy one... just one to scent my conditioner...... :?
    In DESPERATE need of a haircut.
    Ahhh yes but thats how it starts , just one and before you know it you have a entire drawer plus a pretty box all for Bpal.

I'm not a huge Snake oil fan either but MM is different . You have to try it . I have monsterbait closet , i think thats the one and I don't really love it . I have so many more I want to try.
  • PheebiePheebie Posts: 177Registered Users
    Oh, why did I have to click on that link? And then bookmark the site? And create a basket . . .

So many scents I want to try.

8)
    Hair Type: 3A/3B; natural color; mid-back length.
    Shampoo: Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus (2 - 3 times/week)
    Fave Rinse-Out Conditioners: HE Hello Hydration; Yes to Blueberries; GVP Conditioning Balm;
    Styling Routine: Squish-scrunch product /conditioner into soaking wet, upside down hair; plop for 10 minutes, air dry. (Diffuser dry front section.)
    Fave Styling Products: KCKT; Tigi Curl Amplifier Creme; Batia & Aleeza gel; Giovanni Sunset Styler; LA Looks Sport Gel.
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    OK, so I just ordered 6 samples from BPAL and a bunch of samples from a site posted on the make up board :shock: >both of which I never knew existed before today...this place is truly dangerous when my workload drops....
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    :shock: Sweet Jesus :shock:

The Seven Deadly Sins Gluttony - Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

I seriously need to avoid this place! :lol:
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
    Mwuahahahhahaa!! I love the enabling action!! :twisted: And DH, let me tell you, Gluttony is exactly what it sounds like. It smells fabulous and you just want to eat yourself, but it's almost better for scented room oil. I swear people ask me all the time what I'm wearing, no matter where I go, I get stopped at least once a day to ask what the scent is. And it's never in a bad way. :lol:

So medusahair, which of the Sins are tempting you? :twisted:

pro, have you tried the other 2 monsterbaits? I'm really wanting underpants, and i think closet....or is it underbed. one of them I'm a little nervous about because it's supposed to be very spicy cinnamon. I love cinnamon but don't want it too spicy. I'm going to see if one of the chics on the swap forum still has the Mme Moriarty.
    Gluttony and Lust
    I"m eyeing one of the limited ones, some k named thing I can't remember until I read the ingredients.

I wonder if I'd eat choc all day if I got gluttony? :oops:
    2c/3a?

Oh my, if you want a good chocolate one, go for BLISS. It's pure milk chocolate *yum*. Vice is kind of chocolatey too, almost chocolatey-cherry like, kind of. I'll have to look up the 'K' one you're talking about. Btw, ebay is a good source for bpal stuff (just search for bpal or black phoenix alchemy lab) if you don't want to wait for the Lab to send your package. :lol: You can get some good deals on there sometimes. Like right now I see an imp pack of 12 for just $13, which would be good for someone wanting to try several to start with.
    And MH, know you like your patchouli, which the lab definitely has a lot of! Lust is definitely a big patchouli scent, it reminds me quite a bit of LUSH's Karma fragrance.
    lushaholic wrote:
    Mwuahahahhahaa!! I love the enabling action!! :twisted: And DH, let me tell you, Gluttony is exactly what it sounds like. It smells fabulous and you just want to eat yourself, but it's almost better for scented room oil. I swear people ask me all the time what I'm wearing, no matter where I go, I get stopped at least once a day to ask what the scent is. And it's never in a bad way. :lol:

My God...I was reading the descriptions by the users at their forum and they made it sound so sensual, sexy, delicious, enticing! I was ITCHING to buy a sample of it...I still am! I feel like a friggin' crack feen! :lol: I can only imagine what it must smell like... :P
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
    I bet there's someone on the swap board there who has an imp of it for sale. That's where I get 90% of mine, because I'm too impatient to wait for the lab to send it. Plus you can usually get imps on the swapboard for around $2.
    I saw that word imp over at that forum. How big is an imp? Is it like those tiny perfume sample bottles that come tucked into cards?? :shock: Oh Jesus, I can't start buying these things! I think I need to go to product junkie rehab :lol:
    LOL, yeah an imp is about the size of a perfume sample in the store (those glass vials), or about 1ml? The bottles are 5ml, and I think there are about 6 imps to a bottle (another bpal person correct me if I'm off please). Here's what they look like, except this person has made their own labels and probably decanted them from a bottle, but it's the same size vial.
    That's not bad...and it seems that the scents are pretty potent huh? Man...I should try that Gluttony, just to see how good it really is :)
  • JeanGenieJeanGenie Posts: 33Registered Users
    I gave in to temptation and ordered six of the imps - Bewtiched, Jack, Ouija, Twilight, Haunted and Harlot. Nothing like a little enabling! ;)

Honestly, I've checked the site out before, but just hadn't gotten around to ordering anything yet. It's so overwhelming! I wish they had a brick and mortar store, so I could check everything out in person.
    Hair type: 3A. Almost chin length with Bettie bangs. Currently using GF Curl & Shine S/C, leave in and jojoba oil. Colored black. Check out my curly journal on this site!
    DH, yeah they are potent! But potent in a good way, in such that you won't want to wear conventional perfumes again. Seriously I'm not even tempted by regular perfumes anymore because BPAL is so much better since they are concentrated and you're not getting a fog of alcohol sprayed at you each time.

Siobhan, I love love LOVE Jack!! I have a huge 10ml bottle of it. :lol: And Bewitched is another one of my keepers. :)
    This is great, we can have our own bpal swaps between us curlies after a while. 8)
    Lush , I haven't tried the other two monsterbaits. Closet is a blackberry cakey one but excuse me for saying this on me it smells like well cat pee :oops:
    You are so right about once you wear bpal you don't ever want to go back to regular perfume .I have so many favorites I can't even list them all . I was lucky enough to get a bottle of Schwarzer Mond .Its really nice but not for everyone . Lots of patchoulli in that .
    Have you tried any of the moons?
    Hmmm...the moon bottles I have/had are:

Beaver Moon (my all-time favorite moon!! I hoarded 5 bottles of it :lol:)
    Milk Moon (another favorite!)
    Chaste Moon (love it)
    Flower Moon(not bad, kept it but only wear it occasionally as it's so strong on me)

Blood Moon(swapped away)
    Strawberry (swapped away)
    Pink Moon (also swapped away)
    Honey Moon(hated and swapped away)
    Fruit Moon (nothing special for me so I swapped it)

As you can see I either like one or hate it. I was so disappointed by Strawberry, Pink and Honey Moons because I was soooo sure I would love them. :cry:

I haven't tried Schwarzer Mond, but I'd be curious in an imp if I see one on the swapboard. I don't really go for the 'green' or 'woodsy' scents. I'm more of a foody, creamy, light floral scents. And I love patchouli but most of the bpal patchouli ones don't work for me. The only bpal patchouli one I've kept so far is Lust. I bought 3 bottles of Alone and Lenore and had to swap them all away because they were just too bitter on me. They didn't name it 'Alone' for nothing. :P
  • tinabcurlytinabcurly Posts: 545Registered Users
    Lush--Please tell me, how do I find the swap board for BPAL? I think maybe I'm beside myself & am being totally thick. :oops:

My perfume obsession puts my hair PJ to shame-I can't believe I never heard of BPAL. :D I'm in heaven :D
    Thank you!!
    3a/b mix
    pw:curlyqs
    It's here, and it's split up into 4 different sections. One is supposed to be for pure swaps (I have this, you have this one I want, let's swap), another is for selling your oils, one is for 'wanted' oils, and then decant circles. But sometimes people put both their swapping and selling items on the same thread/section. It's addicting stuff, isn't it?? Another fellow curlie/lush addict from this site got me hooked on it a couple of years ago, so it's all her fault! I'm just spreading the love. :wink:

eta: I do have 2 bottles on the non-hair product swapboard here if anyone is interested.

eta because I forgot to add the actual link. :P
  • HippieChicHippieChic Posts: 252Registered Users
    Thanks alot for the enablement Lush! :lol: I have spent my free work time browsing these today and I know I'll end up with a few(or twenty!)Lush could you please post the link for the swap board, the one in the above post doesn't look like a link. Thanks
    Oops, I forgot to add the link, but I've added it up in that post now. :lol:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file