CurlTalk

Black Friday

theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
Anyone going shopping on that horrible day? My dad really wants a flat screen, and best buy and walmart has them for just a couple hundred. That would be an awesome present for him, but sweet god almighty, those people be getting crazy! I fear for my life.

Comments

• wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    Never. Never ever.
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    Hell to the no. These days, most of my Christmas shopping is done online. Way less stressful.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I have never been and never will go on Black Friday. I worked retail for too many years and seen too many disturbing sites. I'd rather spend a little more and save my sanity. Not to mention there are always specials and sales and Black Friday isn't the only day of the year to save.
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    I went the first time with a friedn who really needed a laptop. we went to circuit city before they went away. got in line at 2am and the store opened at 6. they had 10 laptops, we got the tenth laptop. the people there were really nice, one guy was serving up hot cocoa. last year i went on thanksgiving night with a friend to walmart. we got there before the crowd. by the time we were leaving 2 fights broke out over who was in the check out line first. like really? you were willing to to come here and be in line for however long to get whant you wanted but not to check out? I would rather not go, but My dad keeps looking at his old tv and says, "I need one of those flat screen's with that HD. Have you seen them? They are amazing!!!"
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    /\ That is very sweet and thoughtful of you. People can get good deals and not everyone acts like wild animals. It's just the 'what ifs' that make me nervous.
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    I go with my mom, we like to watch people in madness.

My dad went once he was amazed....at how cray cray people get.

I never want anything, black fridays don't have all that good of sales. I'm the master at sales for not knowing how to coupon (it's probably a good thing because I would destroy the planet with the amount of free things I would get). Food is the only thing I buy full price....and I hardly buy food not on sale.

I mean they'll have something super cheap, but only a few so you kill yourself to get it (someone always dies from being trampled on black friday) and then like 3 weeks later....it's that same price somewhere else.

Once, people were going CRAZY because this department store had boots for like 20 dollars or something. THE BOOTS WERE SOOOO UGLY and obviously not good quality, people were fighting FIGHTING over them. Get a life.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    I was going to, but once I learned about the strikes (Walmart) and petitions (Target), I changed my mind. Plus, one of the staffers at my local Wal told me that people typically begin arriving at noon for a 10 p.m. sale, and bring chairs and friends, so if they have to leave the line for a bathroom break, the friend is there to save their place.

These practices are not for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
    claudine19 wrote: »
    I was going to, but once I learned about the strikes (Walmart) and petitions (Target), I changed my mind. Plus, one of the staffers at my local Wal told me that people typically begin arriving at noon for a 10 p.m. sale, and bring chairs and friends, so if they have to leave the line for a bathroom break, the friend is there to save their place.

These practices are not for me.

Whoa Whoa Whao!! hold the phone!! what strikes and petitions??
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users
    I think some Walmart workers are striking because they don't want to work on Thanksgiving. If that is the case. . . GET OUT OF RETAIL!!!! There are certain jobs that have to work holidays, nurses, doctors, people affiliated with nursing homes, etc., and RETAIL. My mother was an aide at a mental health institution when I was growing up. She worked many Thanksgivings. The years she worked we had smaller meals and had our Thanksgiving dinner on her next day off. She just expected to have to work many holidays.

I'm not sure what the petitions are about.
    3b/c
    people at walmart are like pretty much treated like crap already, so they're striking because they're sick of it.

I hate walmart I try to not go there at all....in general...as a rule of life.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    The Target petition is about their Black Friday starting around 8-9 Thursday night. It's ridiculous to mess with workers' holidays for non essential things like holiday bargains. This isn't EMS!

Wal-Mart is a larger ball of wax mainly dealing with their crappy practices all around.

Here's a starter link, but you can search around for more reading if you like.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmoney.cnn.com%2F2012%2F11%2F20%2Fpf%2Fwalmart-black-friday%2F" class="Popup

I don't do Black Friday.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1353514626.173332.jpg

Besides, the prices aren't unique. Those sale items will be on sale later.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users
    silly retailers if they dont want to work holidays they should have unionized
  • NailuvrNailuvr Posts: 71Registered Users
    murrrcat wrote: »
    people at walmart are like pretty much treated like crap already, so they're striking because they're sick of it.

I hate walmart I try to not go there at all....in general...as a rule of life.

This. And retail does NOT need to work on thanksgiving. I have worked in retail my entire life and never worked for a company that is open on thanksgiving. Doesn't seem to hurt the bottom line at all. Even with the fact that all of the ones I have worked for have paid holiday pay for all employees who miss a regularly scheduled shift. The only reason they open is because customers make excuses about why it is okay to be open. And really, can we stop comparing Walmart cashiers to nurses and other actual essential personnel? It's laughable and pretty insulting.
    2a/b, low-po, medium/medium, HIGH elasticity, 4" past BSL

Co-wash & LI: Suave Naturals Waterfall Mist
    Curl Cream: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Styling: FSG

Hunting for the perfect clumping.
  • NailuvrNailuvr Posts: 71Registered Users
    OBB wrote: »

Wow. Just o.O
    2a/b, low-po, medium/medium, HIGH elasticity, 4" past BSL

Co-wash & LI: Suave Naturals Waterfall Mist
    Curl Cream: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Styling: FSG

Hunting for the perfect clumping.

We're not unionized, and we're closed Thanksgiving. I'm glad our company cares and has some damned sense.

Nailuvr wrote: »

Wow. Just o.O

He was being tongue in cheek, more than likely.

yeah, walmart is pretty much the devil. i was so relieved to discover an Asain market with much fresher food way cheaper then walmart, so know I dont have to go there anymore.

I was going to go to Best Buy to get a 40 in hd flatscreen for $180. I dont know if a better deal will come along before christmas.
    Probably. BF deals aren't always the best.

I bet it'll be cheaper on the 26th.

• scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    I went last year and got a tv from my mom. it wasn't that bad. We went to walmart. There were different locations all around the store for different items. You stood in line and got a ticket for the item. At a certain time, the items came out. Because everyone already had a ticket, there were no fights because everyone knew they were getting the item they wanted.

While the bf was doing that, i stood in line. The line at electronics only had a couple of people. So i just let people go ahead of me until 11pm with the bf walked over with the tv. We paid for it and were out the door.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    No. First of all, I HATE crowds, so I'd actually pay money NOT to shop that day.

Second...I refuse to support abusive employer practices. Retail stores do not need to abuse their employees to turn a profit and forcing employees to work middle-of-the-night-hours to staff fake sales promotions for minimum wage pay is abusive.
  • CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Posts: 6,343Registered Users
    I'm working from 9 PM tomorrow to 3 AM, and then going back noon on Friday. I hope it goes by fast.

At least they promised to feed us! Hope there are meatless options :)
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    I don't shop on black Friday. If there's a deal I want, I buy from a company's website instead. I don't want to get trampled over a sale. It's not fun for me at all. I like my space when I shop.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Posts: 6,343Registered Users
    If anything, I'm annoyed about having to get a ride there because there will be no parking!
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users
    Probably 8 or 9 years ago my step MIL and I went a couple of years in a row and we had fun, but it wasn't the crazy cray cray that it is now. There were no long lines at the places we shopped and I got the few things on my list that I wanted, plus she and I had fun spending that time together.

These days my mindset is much different about it because it's just so insane with all the opening Thanksgiving afternoon and long lines. The deals aren't that great and aren't prices that I don't see other times of the year. I'll gladly pay a little more to shop early or even better, online while drinking coffee.

The older I get the more all the excess some people go crazy over makes me sad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    I refuse to go, knowing that stores are now making their employees start working at 8 and 9 PM on THANKSGIVING. I don't want to support that. I know it comes with the territory of working in retail, but I still think it's completely unnecessary.

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
    yea i think best buy and anyone who does the electronic do tickets now, so if you have a ticket, you're getting one, if not YOU'RE NOT GETTING ONE. End of story.

I only know this because of when consoles and video games come out, my brother is a nerd.:sign5:
  • fefe912fefe912 Posts: 570Registered Users
    I've worked in retail for 7 yrs so because of that I will never ever have any participation in black friday besides being at work lol. I worked at old navy for 4 yrs and during black friday........omg...... I've seen fights, been threatened, have had stuff thrown at me by customers, been cussed out, and have seen people go crazy and rip down posters and throw stuff off of shelves because they couldn't get their way or something they wanted.

I transferred to the GAP last year since they are part of the same company and although it's more calm, people still act a crazy and have the attitudes lol.
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    munchkin wrote: »
    I think some Walmart workers are striking because they don't want to work on Thanksgiving. If that is the case. . . GET OUT OF RETAIL!!!! There are certain jobs that have to work holidays, nurses, doctors, people affiliated with nursing homes, etc., and RETAIL. My mother was an aide at a mental health institution when I was growing up. She worked many Thanksgivings. The years she worked we had smaller meals and had our Thanksgiving dinner on her next day off. She just expected to have to work many holidays.

I'm not sure what the petitions are about.
    Retail is hardly a necessity. Prevention of death and dismemberment and making sure an elderly or frail person has food, shelter, and their routine maintained...is a necessity.

Are we really comparing someone's ability to fight over Tickle Me Elmo (or whatever it is now, iPads) to potential death, dismemberment, or displacement? LOL

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    I'm just saying, there's HUGE difference between working at like 4 am on Black Friday and working at 8 or 9 PM on Thanksgiving night. One involves waking up early but most likely not missing out on much family time. It's annoying, but overall, isn't too intrusive. The other involves possibly having to leave Thanksgiving festivities early so you can go to work, where you'll serve people who are acting like crazed, rabid animals to get a "good deal.

At Target, everyone is required to be "available" to work on Black Friday (aka, Thanksgiving Night). We are not allowed to request un-paid time off for that day, either. Which means that people with out-of-state relatives can't even visit them. Seriously? Ridiculous. Don't get me wrong - I like working there. But don't assume that they're any better than Wal Mart when it comes to this stuff.

Don't even get me started on how we're opened late on Christmas Eve. I fail to see why a person's lack of planning for a holiday that they KNOW IS COMING UP means we should have to be open until 9 PM on Christmas Eve.

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have no interest in dealing with lines, and crowds, and mad rushes of people.

The only really good deals are like 'first 10 people in the door' - I'm just not that motivated.

I get all my necessities (alcohol) in advance. On holidays I want to be left alone to relax.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]