We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Tell me all about Shea Moisture

caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 460Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I've seen it at Walgreens, but am not clear about the other products besides the shampoo(Curl and Shine, which is the one I was looking at). Is the milk a conditioner, is the "smoothie" a conditioner or styling product, etc.? I need someone experienced to explain the various products to me, other than the shampoo. Thanks!

Comments

• btwitsnatashabtwitsnatasha Posts: 49Registered Users
    The milk can be used as a leave in and the smoothie can be used as a styling product or the other way around. I used the smoothie after my leave in.

Also be careful cause they both have protein and too much protein causes breakage and rough hair
  • kurlygurlykurlygurly Posts: 644Registered Users
    Hmmm, good to know. Now I won't even THINK about purchasing them. Protein is a no-no for me.

Sent from my Droid Razr using CurlTalk App
    3B Live Curly Live Free Analysis: Texture = Medium Porosity = Normal Elasticity = Normal
    3b-ish... normal to low porosity....med. texture
    Wash: Desert Essence Coconut shampoo, Acure argon shampoo
    Deep Trestment: Nature's Nectars deep conditioner/styler
    Condition: Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Nature's Gate pomegranate sunflower
    LEAVE-IN:Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Natures Gate pomegranate sunflower
    STYLE: Nature's Nectars Sweet Shea butter blend, Ecostyler gel
    hemp oil, jojoba oil
    www.naturesnectars.net
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 460Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just like kurlygurly here, I'm going to pass on this line, due to the protein. My hair needs a lot more moisture than protein, even though I do color my hair. The only time I use protein is with Sally's GVP knock-off of K-pak, followed by a deep moisturizing conditioner. I'll stick with that, and continue looking for another shampoo to use on days that I do shampoo. My co-washes have been with Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut conditioner which has been fine and ultra-cheap for me for the last 3 years.
  • kurlygurlykurlygurly Posts: 644Registered Users
    caramix3a wrote: »
    Just like kurlygurly here, I'm going to pass on this line, due to the protein. My hair needs a lot more moisture than protein, even though I do color my hair. The only time I use protein is with Sally's GVP knock-off of K-pak, followed by a deep moisturizing conditioner. I'll stick with that, and continue looking for another shampoo to use on days that I do shampoo. My co-washes have been with Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut conditioner which has been fine and ultra-cheap for me for the last 3 years.

My hair got sick of the suave coconut version b/c of the protein.....but it loves the other types.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    3b-ish... normal to low porosity....med. texture
    Wash: Desert Essence Coconut shampoo, Acure argon shampoo
    Deep Trestment: Nature's Nectars deep conditioner/styler
    Condition: Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Nature's Gate pomegranate sunflower
    LEAVE-IN:Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Natures Gate pomegranate sunflower
    STYLE: Nature's Nectars Sweet Shea butter blend, Ecostyler gel
    hemp oil, jojoba oil
    www.naturesnectars.net
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    Not everything in the line has protein.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 460Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You know, it seems like the Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut conditioner is not the same as it was 3 years ago when I first started using it, not as moisturizing a co-wash. Are the other Suave conditioners like this too, in having too much protein? If not, which ones DON'T have protein in them and are suitable for co-washing? I love the price - I do have to go cheap with my products pretty much since I have very thick hair, even though it's only bob-length.
  • jaclyn15jaclyn15 Posts: 227Registered Users
    If I'm not mistaken I think the coconut is the only one that contains protein.
    My hair: 3b, corkicelli, medium porosity, medium texture, medium/thick density

Co-wash: DevaCurl NoPoo
    Rinse-out: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut, or my rinse-out!
    Gel: SS FHG (my new HG!!)... I also like HESMU, AIF, CJ CQ, BRHG, CJ PP and the occasional LALSG

Dislikes: Glycerin

CG and loving it! :hello1:
  • NailuvrNailuvr Posts: 71Registered Users
    Yep, just the coconut.
    2a/b, low-po, medium/medium, HIGH elasticity, 4" past BSL

Co-wash & LI: Suave Naturals Waterfall Mist
    Curl Cream: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Styling: FSG

Hunting for the perfect clumping.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji