CurlTalk

Tell me all about Shea Moisture

caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 460Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I've seen it at Walgreens, but am not clear about the other products besides the shampoo(Curl and Shine, which is the one I was looking at). Is the milk a conditioner, is the "smoothie" a conditioner or styling product, etc.? I need someone experienced to explain the various products to me, other than the shampoo. Thanks!

Comments

• btwitsnatashabtwitsnatasha Posts: 49Registered Users
    The milk can be used as a leave in and the smoothie can be used as a styling product or the other way around. I used the smoothie after my leave in.

Also be careful cause they both have protein and too much protein causes breakage and rough hair
  • kurlygurlykurlygurly Posts: 644Registered Users
    Hmmm, good to know. Now I won't even THINK about purchasing them. Protein is a no-no for me.

Sent from my Droid Razr using CurlTalk App
    3B Live Curly Live Free Analysis: Texture = Medium Porosity = Normal Elasticity = Normal
    3b-ish... normal to low porosity....med. texture
    Wash: Desert Essence Coconut shampoo, Acure argon shampoo
    Deep Trestment: Nature's Nectars deep conditioner/styler
    Condition: Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Nature's Gate pomegranate sunflower
    LEAVE-IN:Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Natures Gate pomegranate sunflower
    STYLE: Nature's Nectars Sweet Shea butter blend, Ecostyler gel
    hemp oil, jojoba oil
    www.naturesnectars.net
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 460Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just like kurlygurly here, I'm going to pass on this line, due to the protein. My hair needs a lot more moisture than protein, even though I do color my hair. The only time I use protein is with Sally's GVP knock-off of K-pak, followed by a deep moisturizing conditioner. I'll stick with that, and continue looking for another shampoo to use on days that I do shampoo. My co-washes have been with Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut conditioner which has been fine and ultra-cheap for me for the last 3 years.
  • kurlygurlykurlygurly Posts: 644Registered Users
    caramix3a wrote: »
    Just like kurlygurly here, I'm going to pass on this line, due to the protein. My hair needs a lot more moisture than protein, even though I do color my hair. The only time I use protein is with Sally's GVP knock-off of K-pak, followed by a deep moisturizing conditioner. I'll stick with that, and continue looking for another shampoo to use on days that I do shampoo. My co-washes have been with Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut conditioner which has been fine and ultra-cheap for me for the last 3 years.

My hair got sick of the suave coconut version b/c of the protein.....but it loves the other types.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    3b-ish... normal to low porosity....med. texture
    Wash: Desert Essence Coconut shampoo, Acure argon shampoo
    Deep Trestment: Nature's Nectars deep conditioner/styler
    Condition: Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Nature's Gate pomegranate sunflower
    LEAVE-IN:Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Natures Gate pomegranate sunflower
    STYLE: Nature's Nectars Sweet Shea butter blend, Ecostyler gel
    hemp oil, jojoba oil
    www.naturesnectars.net
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    Not everything in the line has protein.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 460Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You know, it seems like the Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut conditioner is not the same as it was 3 years ago when I first started using it, not as moisturizing a co-wash. Are the other Suave conditioners like this too, in having too much protein? If not, which ones DON'T have protein in them and are suitable for co-washing? I love the price - I do have to go cheap with my products pretty much since I have very thick hair, even though it's only bob-length.
  • jaclyn15jaclyn15 Posts: 227Registered Users
    If I'm not mistaken I think the coconut is the only one that contains protein.
    My hair: 3b, corkicelli, medium porosity, medium texture, medium/thick density

Co-wash: DevaCurl NoPoo
    Rinse-out: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut, or my rinse-out!
    Gel: SS FHG (my new HG!!)... I also like HESMU, AIF, CJ CQ, BRHG, CJ PP and the occasional LALSG

Dislikes: Glycerin

CG and loving it! :hello1:
  • NailuvrNailuvr Posts: 71Registered Users
    Yep, just the coconut.
    2a/b, low-po, medium/medium, HIGH elasticity, 4" past BSL

Co-wash & LI: Suave Naturals Waterfall Mist
    Curl Cream: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Styling: FSG

Hunting for the perfect clumping.