New and hopeful!

NailuvrNailuvr Posts: 71Registered Users
I'm not even sure where to start!

I have always had a love-hate relationship with my hair. My dad is half Lithuanian Jew and my mom is Irish. My dad's whole family has thick, coarse 3As & Bs who just brush out to poof. My mom's is 2Bs and Cs who live on perms or weekly sets. So I did not come into a world where people had a clue about caring for natural curls.

Mine was super long when I was little, but my dad would dry-comb it AND my ears so I learned to hate it and so my mom chopped it ALL off since I refused to brush it myself. Then I hated it because it was ugly. And it was, there was no saving that mess.

Once I got to junior high it was grown long again and not only a frizzy mess, but it was the high point of spiral perms so I did that for a few years, still with no one teaching me how to properly care for curls!

Eventually I went chemical free except shampoo/conditioner and used a brush and learned to live with frizz. Every once in awhile I would get a glimpse of a decent curl pattern, but didn't have a clue how to draw it out.

Over the last few years I've mostly just worn it long and brushed, always washing at night because washing in the morning meant Day 1 frizz for the world to see. Recently (last couple months) I've played a lot with curling irons and flat irons and really wishing I had real curl. I've had a couple friends mention this place but one was obviously curly so I brushed it off. The other one eventually said something about actually getting curls (no one had a clue there was anything in there!) so I came poking around. The before and after thread was inspirational! I saw women there who have befores that look like my hair and their afters have so much curl! That was exciting. So here I am, hopeful I might one day have curls that don't require 90 minutes and 380* irons to get (not that I don't love what I do with an iron, but not doing it daily would be nice).

I think right now I'm a 2B with a potential for 2C. High porosity, medium density, probably on the coarser side of medium width, high elasticity, long (4" past BSL when scrunched, just touching waist length when flat ironed).

Here are my befores (I couldn't find one of my long hair down and unstyled, strange since I rarely styled until recently!): the left one is Day 1 and bleach damaged on the face framing pieces. The right is Day 2 and the bleach damage is hidden. Those are about 2.5 years ago.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1353361557.074046.jpg

After from this morning: I did a clarifying shampoo to get out all the cones from heat styling and anti-frizzing, then an egg soak because my reading and testing lead me to believe I was needing protein, then after rinsing, a cowash, used the same conditioner for leave-in, then used FSG with a teensy bit of Epsom and KY mixed in. So far, I'm encouraged, there's a whirl there even with falling asleep on it wet!

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1353361573.007056.jpg
2a/b, low-po, medium/medium, HIGH elasticity, 4" past BSL

Co-wash & LI: Suave Naturals Waterfall Mist
Curl Cream: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Styling: FSG

Hunting for the perfect clumping.

Comments

• mhen76mhen76 Posts: 813Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome, Nailuvr! Sounds like you're on the right track. Keep reading, keep experimenting. This is a great place to swap tips, hints and info!
    3B, fine, normal to low porosity
    Modified CG since June 2010
    HGs: FSG, anything with glycerin, Tresemme Naturals conditioner, Curls Like Us cloths, satin pillowcases.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome, Nailuvr!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Aqua_LilyAqua_Lily Posts: 557Registered Users
    Welcome! You'll learn lots here ^^
    4-2.png
    Current length: tailbone
    Goal length: mid-thigh (wet)
    3A/2C M iii med por, high elast

HGs:
    Clarify: Nivea
    Lo-poo: Nature's Gate
    CW: Elvive Volume Collagen
    RO: EO Keratin, Desert Essence Raspberry

LI: Elvive volume collagen, KCKT
    Seal: Grapeseed oil
    Gel: Studioline

PT: EO Keratin co
    DT: RO+oils
    Hairgrowth stim.: JBCO+EVCO

www.iherb.com 5-10$ discount code:
    VHT541 Many natural hair products! :D
  • curlygirlyinVAcurlygirlyinVA Posts: 64Registered Users
    Hi there, Nailuvr! Welcome to NC! Glad you joined us. :-)

Love,
    Your enabler,
    M
    <3

Sent from my Xoom using CurlTalk App
  • NailuvrNailuvr Posts: 71Registered Users

Love,
    Your enabler,
    M
    <3

Buahahaha you are such a trouble maker.

Love,
    Your enabler,
    M
    <3

Whiskey tango. The app hates me.

I said:

Buahahaha. You are such a troublemaker.

Yeah, whatever stupid iPhone app

• Knotty_MaddyKnotty_Maddy Posts: 518Registered Users
    Try some new methods, too - they will help :) myself I love the supersoaker method, it got rid of my bad frizz, and encouraged my S'es into curls...but try whatever one, they are sure to help - as important as product, I find :)

also, not sure if you know this yet, you mentioned brushes...not good to use in dry curly hair...please only use a brush when using conditioner in the shower! :D

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/112371-techniques-links-supersoaker-spritz-condish-plopping-frizz-clipping-icequeen-etc.html
    Finer, mixed with coarser strands, low-porosity, wavy curly whirly hair...3A, 2C hair. Medium thickness, medium elasticity.
    S-shaped hair with corkscrew ends. My hair is even more confused than me ;p
    My hair officially hates protein ;) Once a month is enough!
    Currently a fan of TiGi products, (rock on, TiGi Curlesque styling creme!) but that will soon change - I am a self-avowed product junkie! Yay! :D
    BIG fan of supersoaker method - thanks Rudeechick!
  • curlygirlyinVAcurlygirlyinVA Posts: 64Registered Users
    Nailuvr wrote: »

Whiskey tango. The app hates me.

The app hates everyone, Darling.

And O:-)

• curlyevcurlyev Posts: 246Registered Users
    You will learn a lot! I know I've learned a ton this past year and have better hair to show for it!:compress:
    -3A, fine, very thick, normal por., normal elast., long, dye- free (CG since Nov. '11)
    -Low poo (As needed): CVS Argan Oil Renewing Shampoo
    -RO: GVP The Detangler
    -Styling: LALSG
    -PT: ION Effective Care (seldom)
    *I have learned that sometimes less is more when it comes to my hair*
    :love6:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file