CurlTalk

Family Pictures Clothing Thoughts?

deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,466Registered Users
I have been stressing out about the fam's upcoming picture session @ JCP.. This is our first family pic with us and the boys... (Just haven't had the funds to get it done till now)

anyhoo... We are all dressing in the same color (or shades of it) anyhow, Burg/wine color is what I thought would be nice for a picture.. (Hubby could care less)
and I bought matching shirts for the boys.. Does that sound odd? I am really wanting this pic to come out good..
Liam: 6 years old
Colin: 3 years old

Comments

• sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    That sounds nice! That's a great fall/winter/holiday color.

Here's our family picture that's on our christmas cards. I didn't have us match, but tried to do coordinating winter-y colors.
    ehLB.jpg
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users
    I dislike the idea of everyone wearing the same color immensely, sorry. To me, that steps into Awkward Family Photos territory.

I'd just make sure everyone had something nice on and that the looks were cohesive together, but not let it seem like it everyone showed up in uniform or resort to any such gimmicks.

IMHO.
  • NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
    Dedachan wrote: »
    I dislike the idea of everyone wearing the same color immensely, sorry. To me, that steps into Awkward Family Photos territory.

I'd just make sure everyone had something nice on and that the looks were cohesive together, but not let it seem like it everyone showed up in uniform or resort to any such gimmicks.

IMHO.

+1
    "Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    i agree. I like the idea of color family, not all matching. what about

Burgundy, grey and navy(dark jeans)
    Burgundy, brown, khaki
    Burgandy, grey, mustard
    Burgunday, grey, black/white plaid or stripes
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Please just don't all wear the same thing - or even very similar things. Just keep within the same style (casual, sporty, etc) and avoid colors that clash. I personally don't like to see jeans in a family photo. That's too casual for me. Khakis or cords and sweaters for the boys...Dad in a button-down with some Dockers...

I wouldn't wear anything with busy prints and I'd avoid a white or black shirt. From your avvie, you look fair-skinned. White can make pale skin look washed-out; black can just be too stark. I'd consider something with a v-neck; maybe a wrap dress with a nice necklace? Target had some nice wrap dresses the other day.

Deep red or berry colors would look nice on you, nothing pastel or otherwise too light.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,771Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    scrills wrote: »
    I think this photographer has some nice ideas

Laci Davis Photography: What to wear for your family photos.

Love the pop of green, the pop of yellow and the big family in black & white!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    I think this photographer has some nice ideas

Laci Davis Photography: What to wear for your family photos.

Love the pop of green, the pop of yellow and the big family in black & white!

I really like those tips! Some of the prints look kinda crazy paired together though.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users
    This reminds me of a story. A lady once told me that the best photo she has of her children is when they were all in a rush to get their photo taken so she told all of her kids to "just wear your favorite t-shirt." :) I think she's 85.

I just had my graduation portraits done at the school. Honestly, it was so uncomfortable... Try not to focus on looking perfect.

In general, solids look better than prints and neutrals look better than brights. You can make it as formal or as casual as you'd like. Don't worry about "matching" - you all will look cohesive as a family if you're all on the same level of formal-casual.
    just saw your post Scrills...I like the Laci Davis link a lot
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

• SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    I seriously love the outfits in that first link scrills posted! The one with pops of the green "accent" color is really cute... I think that's a really nice idea! That way it's still cohesive, but not super matchy-matchy.

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,466Registered Users
    Great.. now I have to rethink my outfits... UGH!
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I guess I was envisioning the boys' shirts matching, but not too matchy-matchy with the grown-ups clothes. Just wear neutral colors and it'll be fine.
    ehLB.jpg
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users
    I would have some colors match between people without being matchy matchy.

For example, d1 in a pink black and blue shirt, d2 in a white shirt with blue sweater vest - not matching full colored shirts, but still pulling things together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    deedles wrote: »

Do you like the way you'd all look in matching shirts? That's what matters the most. Do what you like.
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users
    Speckla wrote: »
    deedles wrote: »

Do you like the way you'd all look in matching shirts? That's what matters the most. Do what you like.

True stuff.

If you like the way it looks, that's what's important. Its your family. Its for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]