CurlTalk

Do German shepherds have wolf in them?

jenfitzjenfitz Posts: 121Registered Users
I'm wondering.

Comments

• Knotty_MaddyKnotty_Maddy Posts: 518Registered Users
    jenfitz wrote: »
    I'm wondering.

It depends on their breeding. Some unscrupulous breeders sneak in a wolf here and there, to give their dogs a wilder, "meaner" look. However, breed standards do not allow for wolf blood in Shepherds. It's a no-no. And here in Canada, owning a wolf as a pet is illegal. Wolf blood mixed in with Shepherd blood can result in an unpredictable temperament for the Shepherd.

Please note that wolves are not aggressive animals - they get a bad rap. They are timid animals, who prefer to live in a quiet little pack, away from humans. They are very loyal to each other, and they mate for life. They are the best parents to their pups :) And they are very, very beautiful.

Sincerely, the mom of two perfect Shepherds :) lol!

ETA: Jeepycurls, please weigh in on this!
    Finer, mixed with coarser strands, low-porosity, wavy curly whirly hair...3A, 2C hair. Medium thickness, medium elasticity.
    S-shaped hair with corkscrew ends. My hair is even more confused than me ;p
    My hair officially hates protein ;) Once a month is enough!
    Currently a fan of TiGi products, (rock on, TiGi Curlesque styling creme!) but that will soon change - I am a self-avowed product junkie! Yay! :D
    BIG fan of supersoaker method - thanks Rudeechick!
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Oh wow this thread is freaking me out. Just a few hours ago I saw a German Shepard and thought about how they look more like their canine/wolf cousins than most other breeds. Stay outta my head...
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • jenfitzjenfitz Posts: 121Registered Users
    Oh wow this thread is freaking me out. Just a few hours ago I saw a German Shepard and thought about how they look more like their canine/wolf cousins than most other breeds. Stay outta my head...

I'll try next time :)
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    Funny little factoid based on ages of breeds, the shih tzu is more closely related to wolves than german shepherds are.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,571Registered Users
    Does my dog look like he does?ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1353125159.253465.jpg
    No, he looks like a German-standard german shepherd, as in the ones they raise in Germany, not the US. They are somewhat shaggier and larger.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • MojoDojoMojoDojo Posts: 702Registered Users
    No they tend not to have wolf in them. Not if they're up to breed standards.
    I AM THE NEANDERTHAL SLAYER!!!
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    No, he looks like a German-standard german shepherd, as in the ones they raise in Germany, not the US. They are somewhat shaggier and larger.

This.

And he's gorgeous!

I love German Shepherds.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
    CurliLocks wrote: »

Somewhat as Curlilocks says :) if you google Czechoslovakian Shepherds, you will see where your dog gets that facial look. He probably has a mix of Czech/German bloodlines. There is also a line of Sheppies that have longer, bushier fur. That is quite common in Sheps with a European descent.

Here are my two, so you can compare. They both have strictly German lines:

ETA: I forgot to say, your dog is lovely! :)
    Finer, mixed with coarser strands, low-porosity, wavy curly whirly hair...3A, 2C hair. Medium thickness, medium elasticity.
    Currently a fan of TiGi products, (rock on, TiGi Curlesque styling creme!) but that will soon change - I am a self-avowed product junkie! Yay! :D
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,679Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    If I knew how to get photo's (proper ones from the olden days!) on to a computer I'd show you my dear departed shepherd. Nothing like a wolf, and nor does yours look like one.
    3b in South Australia.
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    No more than any other dogs.

I grew up with a German Shepherd. She was the sweetest, and a big old chicken.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • B-Nessa11B-Nessa11 Posts: 1,050Registered Users
    I want a German Shepard soooo bad! When I get a house I'm definitely going to get a baby/puppy one and raise it. I've always liked them because them seem so sweet but at the same time they can scare ppl and protect my house :)
    The store around the corner from me had this huge old German Shepard and it was very sweet, I even pet it once. Every since then, I've wanted one.
    How much does one usually cost?

Sent from my Desire HD using CurlTalk App
    Who's My Hair?
    3c/4a-b looking stuff lol
    BC- May 16, 2010
    Why I chopped: heat damage/breakage
    Luv'd my permed hair I just didnt take care of it.
    LUVVV my natural hair!!! :iconbiggrin:
    B-Nessa11 wrote: »
    I want a German Shepard soooo bad! When I get a house I'm definitely going to get a baby/puppy one and raise it. I've always liked them because them seem so sweet but at the same time they can scare ppl and protect my house :)
    The store around the corner from me had this huge old German Shepard and it was very sweet, I even pet it once. Every since then, I've wanted one.

Check out the American Kennel Club page for recommended breeders...they can go anywhere from $500 for a backyard breeder's dog, to in the several thousands for a pure-blood. Or, you could go to the ASPCA (assuming you are American! lol!) to get one for about $150. There are sooooooooo many dogs out there in need of a good home! You can adopt one from a rescue agency - there are many German Shepherd rescue organisations, instead of giving your money to a breeder, and save some money, as well as a dog's life! :toothy7:
  • SaraNoHSaraNoH Posts: 827Registered Users
    B-Nessa11 wrote: »

. There are sooooooooo many dogs out there in need of a good home! You can adopt one from a rescue agency - there are many German Shepherd rescue organisations, instead of giving your money to a breeder, and save some money, as well as a dog's life! :toothy7:

Exactly. Not gonna lie, I get a little twingy when it comes to where people get their dogs from. Rescue dogs FTW.

I always wanted a coydog. There's a lot of people around here who unfortunately don't have their pets fixed and with the local wildlife, well.... And coyotes are awesome. Too bad that inclusion of wild dog genes can cause behavioral problems.
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
  • jenfitzjenfitz Posts: 121Registered Users
  • SpiralSpunkSpiralSpunk Posts: 243Registered Users
    I had a German Shepard growing up and he was such a nice dog. He looked very American I guess - I'm kinda jealous of your very cool looking Shepard op!

ETA: No I guess he was very German looking lol, looked a lot like Knotty_Maddy's dog on the left :)
    I had a German Shepard growing up and he was such a nice dog. He looked very American I guess - I'm kinda jealous of your very cool looking Shepard op!

ETA: No I guess he was very German looking lol, looked a lot like Knotty_Maddy's dog on the left :)

:) American Sheps have the low, slouchy crouched back end - which is too bad, as it never was good for their hips to be built this way :( And that is the fault of breeders. Thank goodness they are starting to return them to German lines. :)

Sheppies are great! :D I hope you eventually have another one, SpiralS!

BTW mine were originally from breeders, but ended up in the Rescue dog house...
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,380Registered Users
    I love GSDs, but every one I've known had a tendency to be really smelly and bad shredders - is that common ? I've also considers Belgian Malinois.
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I think GSDs are the most perfect dogs...except for the horrendous shedding. That's the only reason i don't own one.
    Spider wrote: »
    I love GSDs, but every one I've known had a tendency to be really smelly and bad shredders - is that common ? I've also considers Belgian Malinois.

Yes, they do shed daily - and worse in the spring and fall ;p But, the vacuum and brushing takes care of that!

Spider, if you get a Malinois, please be aware that they have intense energy levels, and need to run like mad for miles and miles every day. They are working dogs more than they are good pets ;p you might want to consider a cross? Like Mal/GSD? German Sheps are a trifle lazier than Mals, a good 5 mile walk a day plus two one hour play times in the yard with you is usually enough exercise to keep them calm. :)

ETA And they are not typically smelly, unless the food they are eating is a poor quality...which is the same case for any dog. Mine just smell like nothing much, unless they are wet - in which case they just smell a bit doggy.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users
    I love German Sheperds. They're used as police dogs here and I remember watching the news following them from puppies, through training and to becoming full police dogs. I decided I wanted one at sone point then.

So loyal and very cute puppies.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,679Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    They shed a lot, I dread to think what the long haired ones are like, but never noticed mine being particularly smelly.
    3b in South Australia.
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    The german shepard is my family's breed. All of us has had at least one. we rescued them from this crazy breeder who would not stop breeding even when she knew it was dangerous for the mom and babies.

The second dog we had was a german shepard. loved him to bits. i think german shepards are awesone family dogs.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Huskies and Malamutes look more wolfy too me...big body, skinny legs.

My dog used to play w/ a dog that was half GSD and half timberwolf. OMG the fur!!

• inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users
    We had an Alaskan Malamute...so many people asked us if he had wolf in him. The answer was no...bad breeders add wolf into the line.

I never heard about wolf being part of the GS line....