CurlTalk

God help me with this damn coconut!

NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
I have been trying to open this freakin coconut for the last 25 minutes! WHAT am I doing wrong. It even says "easy crack coconut"
Also, the juice came out yellow?! I thought it was supposed to be white-ish?
"Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”

Comments

• SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    You're using a hammer and screwdriver?

It's even easier if you stick the coconut in the oven for about ten minutes until it cracks.

The water should be clear. It can have a somewhat beige tinge, but it's clear.

A lot of coconuts sold in North America are rancid, though.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    LOL. I haven't cracked a coconut since the early 80's but I love me some coconut. I think I used a hammer...I know, not helpful. I've never seen yellow coconut milk so good luck with that. :)

Now I'm craving coconut.
  • NarniaNarnia Posts: 1,770Registered Users
    I thought it should've been clear. It's definitely yellow.
    Ugh, should I just throw out the whole thing?
    "Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
    medussa wrote: »
    LOL. I haven't cracked a coconut since the early 80's but I love me some coconut. I think I used a hammer...I know, not helpful. I've never seen yellow coconut milk so good luck with that. :)

Now I'm craving coconut.

Yellow coconut water/juice, not milk. Two different things.
    I've never seen straight up yellow coconut water, though.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    It looks like concentrated urine!

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1352861439.048462.jpg
    Yeah, I think that's a rancid coconut.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    Waaaahhh!
    I'll toss the whole thing.
    Saria wrote: »

Now I'm craving coconut.

Yellow coconut water/juice, not milk. Two different things.
    I've never seen straight up yellow coconut water, though.

I meant to write water.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,780Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Does it smell off?
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    Narnia wrote: »
    Waaaahhh!

Sorry. :(
    Narnia wrote: »
    Waaaahhh!

Sorry. :(

I was wondering what was wrong with it. Yea CC it smelt a bit off once I thought about it. I've never bought my own fresh coconut so I didn't have much to compare it to.
    Where the heck can I get a good one!?
    I've never bought one, but this might help!

Choose a Coconut

What were you gonna do with it?
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The title of this thread makes me laugh.

I love coconut!

If I opened a coconut all excited for it and it was bad I would be so upset.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    I am sorry you went through the trouble only to have a rancid coconut, but I had to say... Your thread title cracked me. lol
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Go somewhere where people who use a lot of coconuts shop. So, Asian or Caribbean markets.
    I imagine good coconuts are even harder to come by in Canada, considering they're often rancid in the US.
    I'd suggest looking for frozen coconut for what you need.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    I'm craving coconut meat now. Dammit, I don't even have any Mounds or Almond Joy to satisfy the craving. I'm going to bed, where hopefully I won't dream of coconuts.

Thanks a lot, Narnia! :pain10:
    :lol:
    Audrey Hepburn
    Y'all I know! Imagine how I feel breaking a sweat dreaming of my coconut smoothie!

I started a 21 day challenge for primal eating/lifestyle. Coconut is highly praised in this way of eating and I was PUMPED about it

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1352864239.208815.jpg
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ooohhh, Almond Joy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • maria_imaria_i Posts: 1,760Registered Users
    I m sorry I m laughing hard :icon_smile: This thread is hilarious.

Narnia, sorry. :notworthy:
    3a/b, CG mostly.
    Mexico City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users
    6510301807_1dc5d1e8e7_z.jpg
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    Oh how I love coconut! And coconut water. My ex used to buy coconuts and get the juice for me to drink chilled. And once or twice(in the courting days) he cut it in half with fancy jagged edges and put fruit in it. Now i want to bake something with coconut in it.
    I can't remember now, but not long ago I went to someone's house and they offered me Vita Coco. They acted as if they were offering me the most divine drink in the world. I nearly gagged. Just give me the coconut meat, please.
    I can't remember now, but not long ago I went to someone's house and they offered me Vita Coco. They acted as if they were offering me the most divine drink in the world. I nearly gagged. Just give me the coconut meat, please.

How dare you gag on divinity!?

;)
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users

LOL you don't like coconut water? Actually most people I know don't, they don't even like coconut juice (which I also drink but prefer coconut water). Usually when I let them taste it, they have that weird look on their face, lol. Kinda like drinking straight liquor.
    I know, it makes no sense!
    I only like coconut water from fresh coconuts. I find all canned/boxed/bagged stuff to range from terrible to barely passable. Less than two weeks left until my trip and I'm definitely going to be enjoying coconut water, not to mention young coconut flesh and convince my mother that we need to make dulce de coco. Most people only make the mature coconut one, which is good, but my mom makes a young coconut version that is my favorite.
    Mmm, cerezas, cajuiles, chinolas, limoncillos, guayabas, guanabana, and so many other things I'm gonna be having again!
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    I am making 1 or 2 coconut cakes for a gathering in a few weeks. I can not wait!! I hope I can get my hands on some good coconuts, because I use the meat and water in my recipe.

I crave this cake all year :)
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    Saria wrote: »
    I only like coconut water from fresh coconuts. I find all canned/boxed/bagged stuff to range from terrible to barely passable. Less than two weeks left until my trip and I'm definitely going to be enjoying coconut water, not to mention young coconut flesh and convince my mother that we need to make dulce de coco. Most people only make the mature coconut one, which is good, but my mom makes a young coconut version that is my favorite.
    Mmm, cerezas, cajuiles, chinolas, limoncillos, guayabas, guanabana, and so many other things I'm gonna be having again!

I am jealous! I haven't had fresh coconut since the last time I was visiting family in Panama. I love coconut water straight from the coconut. I also like Moro de guandules con coco.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    Fifi.G wrote: »
    I am making 1 or 2 coconut cakes for a gathering in a few weeks. I can not wait!! I hope I can get my hands on some good coconuts, because I use the meat and water in my recipe.

I crave this cake all year :)

Yummy!!!

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png