Can you grow type 4 hair without PSing?

triple_spiraltriple_spiral Registered Users Posts: 249
How necessary is PSing if your goal is longer hair? Has anyone with type 4 hair ever managed it?

Recently I decided I want to actually grow my hair (never cared about length before), ideally to APL curly, though I'll take anything past my shoulders. However I suck at protective styling.....I have tried twists and braids and it just doesn't work out - I'm not good at them and don't really like how they look on me even if they were done "right." I hate the amount of time they take and it seems Iike I end up breaking MORE hair when I attempt it. My hair is forever:

- in a wash n go, most of the time
- In a small bun with the front pinned back
- in a pony tail(bunny tail really) with the front pinned back

My hair is in layers, the shortest are only about 3 inches, the longest are at the top of my neck. Most of my hair falls between my ears and chin area (non-stretched). My question is, can I grow my hair long if I continue on like this, or will it begin to break as it gets longer? Is there some other easy PS that I'm missing - keeping in mind that I'm extremely style-challenged? I've been reading posts and boards that are length-focused for research....it seems that most women will wear a weave, wig, or keep their hair in PS like 90% of the time when they want to grow it....is that necessary for all type 4 hair??
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4a?? Maybe 3c...some 4b??? No clue

tiny s-waves, coils, and spirals

- Cleanser: CJ Daily Fix or KC Come Clean
- Co-wash: Suave Naturals or V05
- RO: GVP Conditioning Balm or Tresemme Naturals
-Stylers: Garnier Pure Clean Gel, CJ Aloe Fix, KCCC

"I remember your childhood hair....flowin' wild at the county fair" - kelley stoltz

"and all the hours that you've been sitting at your vanity....may they carry you far from your misery" - conor oberst

Comments

• triple_spiraltriple_spiral Registered Users Posts: 249
    Some info on my hair/routine, just in case:

Medium strands, protein sensitive, medium density, medium-low porosity

Routine:

Wash with gentle sulfate shampoo about 1x/week

Cowash one or two times a week

Deep condition one or two times a week with Curl Rehab or Crece Pelo

Protein treatment (Repair Me) once every week or two, or when hair feels
    limp

I use Garnier Triple Nutrition to dentangle, which has a cone. I avoid cones everywhere else

I never use to trim, just got haircuts twice a year, but did a small trim on myself a week ago. Plan to do a a small trim (1/4 inch) every two months or so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4a?? Maybe 3c...some 4b??? No clue

tiny s-waves, coils, and spirals

- Cleanser: CJ Daily Fix or KC Come Clean
    - Co-wash: Suave Naturals or V05
    - RO: GVP Conditioning Balm or Tresemme Naturals
    -Stylers: Garnier Pure Clean Gel, CJ Aloe Fix, KCCC

"I remember your childhood hair....flowin' wild at the county fair" - kelley stoltz

"and all the hours that you've been sitting at your vanity....may they carry you far from your misery" - conor oberst
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Registered Users Posts: 6,446 Curl Neophyte
    Just monitor your hair...if you notice it starts to break, perhaps try PSing or be sure you're doing low manipulation. Also, as your hair starts to grow it may be important to coat your ends with oil/pomade to reduce friction with the elements.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • moosegrl_86moosegrl_86 Registered Users Posts: 403
    I think your hair will be fine. I'm actually changing my routine to do the same. Protective styling actually broke off my hair. Whenever I did twists my ends would lock up and the buns and braids put too much tension on my scalp. Plus, so much combing to get it into a style didn't help either.
    Whoop whoop! :hello1:
    imager.php?id=1557276 GIFSoup
    Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
    4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick
  • Oats22Oats22 Registered Users Posts: 48
    Have you ever seen Naptural85 on youtube? She's a 4a, some 4b, and virtually never protective styles. Look at all that length! Naptural85's Youtube

She was the first example to come to mind. So, my answer is "Yes!" However, everyone's hair is different. I don't know if she has thick, medium, or fine strands--I don't know anything about her hair except vaguely that she classifies herself as "4a/4b" and all that's on haircare videos she shows.
    Last Relaxer: July 6th, 2012, approx 1:30pm.
    12 months/52.2 weeks/365 days transitioning!

event.png

"Right now I'm wearing a 'Darn-I-Went-To-Bed-Without-A-Scarf' and later I'm gonna try a 'Salvage-This-And-Try-To-Look-Presentable.'"
  • belwillcoilybelwillcoily Registered Users Posts: 303 Curl Neophyte
    Another YouTuber that comes to mind is Cynthiarf. She is largely 4b and hasn't posted any videos lately (though she has a nice archive) but in her last length check video she had retained some impressive length. Not only does she not PS and wear constant wash-n-go's but I believe she cowashes every single day. In the winter she modifies by spritzing from a water bottle instead of drenching in the shower but water is on her non-protective styled tresses every day and her hair has flourished under this regimen. I think you're probably going to just have to experiment (like others have already said) and see if it works for you...
    :afro: Me Fascina El Pelo :afro:

Low Porosity; Medium Strands; Dense
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    I think it depends on the head of hair. There is no blanket rule for 4s. My hair tangles really badly from shed hair when I try to PS. I finger detangle almost every night to get the shed hair out. For some people this would be overmanipulation but for my hair undermanipulation is more of an issue. My hair is bsl. some people bun which can also be a ps.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • Amazing_JaiAmazing_Jai Registered Users Posts: 36
    No, you don't have to protective style. I do it because it works well for my hair and its used to it. Growing up before I permed my hair it'll be in either braids or twists so that works for me. The key to longer hair is low manipulation. Ponytails and wash and go's are require low manipulation so you should be fine :)

8-)Hey, I tweet about my hair journey too along with other things

:tongue7:Oh, and my tumblr

New on my healthy hair journey and developing my regimen. Exploring my inner product junkie
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Registered Users Posts: 2,316
    Did anyone see the pic Nap85 posted on her twitter I think yesterday? She had a very old twist out. Her shrinkage is whoa. The hair was past BSL I think? Like everyone said it really depends on how your hair is. Some people benefit some don't. If your hair is prone to breaking even when taking care of it PS May benefit your hair.
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • sapphirestarr14sapphirestarr14 Registered Users Posts: 86
    I mainly do WnGs wit the occasional bun/puff and an even rarer twist out and I'm waist length when straight, APL when curly (if I try really hard and the stars align juuuust right... otherwise I'm just past shoulder length). I've only recently started actively trying to take care of my hair. I'm very fickle wit it so its a wonder its grown as long as it has. I cut and/or color it every year around this time but its still growing! And I shed a lot when I style/detangle (which has been less frequently, probably 1x/week to detangle wit mini restyling during the week if its not quite right). I also have a severe case of HIH syndrome/disorder or whatever (I'm not a doctor... =P)

My point: you can have a lot of bad habits and still grow your hair!
    Mostly fine hair, coarse around my edges and nape.
    Definitely high porosity and insanely dense.
    Not so sure on the elasticity, but I don't think I have a very good moisture/protein balance and my hair is ubber dry, so I'm going to go with low... of course I could be very wrong.

Regimen:
    Cowash/RO: HEHH, AIA Coconut Cowash
    PT: Ion Effective Care Treatment
    DT: Any condish with EVOO+Honey
    LI: SM CES or PM The conditioner
    Styler: EcoStyler Olive Oil, KCCC, or Let's Jam

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file