We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

When my hair gets blah, I...

Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
Most of us have a system we go about when our hair gets grumpy and starts looking "blah", so what's yours?

When my hair gets blah I usually try a clarifying wash, and then a PT/DT.

Sometimes I'll try switching up products, too, but typically the first step does it.
2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
Seal - MO or Jojoba
DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    I second the clarify, PT/DT routine. Then I start experimenting with moisture vs protein- I know I have a tendency to slack on moisture because I get so focused on the limitless amount of protein my hair seems to like.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
    Once again, Corrina, our hair was separated at birth! Lol! My hair LOOOVES protein, too. And especially in the winter it's hard to keep it balanced on the moisture side!

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    A wig. LOL
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
    Jas76 wrote: »
    Once again, Corrina, our hair was separated at birth! Lol! My hair LOOOVES protein, too. And especially in the winter it's hard to keep it balanced on the moisture side!

Lol- I think you're right! This thread is making me think that I really should do a PT/DT this weekend- it's been months!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • Knotty_MaddyKnotty_Maddy Posts: 518Registered Users
    I am about to do a PT - I hate protein but I think my hair needs some occasionally. *sigh* off to get the tub of Greek yogourt...
    Finer, mixed with coarser strands, low-porosity, wavy curly whirly hair...3A, 2C hair. Medium thickness, medium elasticity.
    S-shaped hair with corkscrew ends. My hair is even more confused than me ;p
    My hair officially hates protein ;) Once a month is enough!
    Currently a fan of TiGi products, (rock on, TiGi Curlesque styling creme!) but that will soon change - I am a self-avowed product junkie! Yay! :D
    BIG fan of supersoaker method - thanks Rudeechick!
    Knotty - have you tried gelatin??

Corrina - lol! Me too! No time this weekend I'm afraid... But I'll have to give it a shot next week!

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Knotty - have you tried gelatin??

Corrina - lol! Me too! No time this weekend I'm afraid... But I'll have to give it a shot next week!

No, but I will - how do you use it?

Right now I am sitting here with a headful of mayo, yogourt, honey and olive oil. I clarified with baking soda and ACV prior to applying it, and I will follow it up with coconut oil after rinsing this goo outta my hair ;p then I will wash and condition as per usual.

Is gelatin any easier to deal with?
    Finer, mixed with coarser strands, low-porosity, wavy curly whirly hair...3A, 2C hair. Medium thickness, medium elasticity.
    Currently a fan of TiGi products, (rock on, TiGi Curlesque styling creme!) but that will soon change - I am a self-avowed product junkie! Yay! :D
    I think gelatin is easy! And my hair LOOOVES it. In fact, I use other protein treatments, but gelatin is always better.

AIgirl is a member on here who put up her recipe. I'd been using gelatin long before I came here - my friend who use to do syncronized swimming turned me onto it. It's what they use to slick back their hair!

My hair adores protein, so you may have to adjust the amounts for your own needs. I use 2 packets of unflavored Knox gelatin, mixed with about 1/8-1/4 cup water. Mix the two and then microwave it and stir. Then I add some coconut oil, Epsom salt, and acv. Sometimes I'll throw in some AVG and some CNPF (liquid protein available from Sally's or Amazon.)

I usually do a clarifying wash first, then I detangle with some condish. I squeeze out the excess condish, and then add the protein mixture. (by this time it's cooled enough). Then I wrap my hair in a bag, and I'll either put my head under the shower for a few minutes, or if I have time I'll get out and put the heating pad on my head.

Then I rinse, and follow up with at least a quick DT - a good condish (GVPCB) mixed with a little EVOO, ECOO, honey, and acv.

I try to co-wash the next day or day after just to be sure the moisture stays up, but that's not always necessary.

Hope that's enough info! Lol!

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    um, ok, I will look for algirl's recipe...you know me, always willing to try something new! :D (my Inner Geek is very scientific and looooves to experiment, lol!)

So far so good with the treatment I did today - my hair was obviously jonesing for protein. Funny how some protein types work better than other proteins, I mean yogourt worked much better than the coconut milk I once tried - though my hair loves coco oil, it didn't love the milk ;p

Now I am very excited about trying gelatin! lol! Thanks! =D

ETA - oops! lol! I guess you edited before I responded. Or there's a ghost in the system ;p anyways, I will use your recipe! Lol! Tx!
  • fefe912fefe912 Posts: 570Registered Users
    When my hair gets blah I use my aphogee 2 min reconstructor, deep condition, add some leave in and slick it back into a faux bun for a few days then it's usually back to how I want it by then lol.
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,271Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    um, ok, I will look for algirl's recipe...you know me, always willing to try something new! :D (my Inner Geek is very scientific and looooves to experiment, lol!)

So far so good with the treatment I did today - my hair was obviously jonesing for protein. Funny how some protein types work better than other proteins, I mean yogourt worked much better than the coconut milk I once tried - though my hair loves coco oil, it didn't love the milk ;p

ETA - oops! lol! I guess you edited before I responded. Or there's a ghost in the system ;p anyways, I will use your recipe! Lol! Tx!

IAGirl's original recipe is now off site on Pedaheh's blog, and the thread about it is here: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/116257-pt-recipe-promised.html
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
    Geek_Chic wrote: »

IAGirl's original recipe is now off site on Pedaheh's blog, and the thread about it is here: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/116257-pt-recipe-promised.html

Aw, thanks, Geek Chic! Jas posted and it cut out after her first phrase, then when I posted, the rest of her post - including recipe - came up. I am going to defs try it, b/c my hair really liked yogourt today - is so soooooft! lol. Normally it hates protein, but I know it needs some. My treatment today really perked my hair up, so I am grateful to Jas, as well as Spiral who told me to try some protein in my thread "can't get hold" . I will check out your links!

Man, that's why I love this place. Everyone is nice, everyone shares, and we all try to help each other.... :D
    LOL! Sorry about that earlier! One of my darling boys decided to grab my phone and posted it before I was done! Lol! So I edited to finish it, but forgot to mention that little detail! Haha!

Ah, 2 year olds. And I've got TWO of them!!

Thanks for posting that link, GC! Take a look at that one, too, bc her recipe is a little different, I think, plus she lists several possible additives.

Like I said, I'd been using gelatin for years, but I modified what I did based on AIgirl's recipe, and it helped!

Good luck!!

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    LOL! Sorry about that earlier! One of my darling boys decided to grab my phone and posted it before I was done! Lol! So I edited to finish it, but forgot to mention that little detail! Haha!

Ah, 2 year olds. And I've got TWO of them!!

Thanks for posting that link, GC! Take a look at that one, too, bc her recipe is a little different, I think, plus she lists several possible additives.

Like I said, I'd been using gelatin for years, but I modified what I did based on AIgirl's recipe, and it helped!

Good luck!!

***TWO*** of them...? lol! You have more courage than I ever did, Jas (I did see your recipe eventually and thanks for that!) My hair is very soft from the yogourt treatment, feels like silk :) but now I *MUST* know what gelatin does! lol! Curiosity...'tis a bane and a blessing :)
    Well, I didn't PLAN on two at once! Lol!

I guess I've never done yogurt before... I've done eggs and mayo, tho. Maybe I'll give the yogurt a try sometime!

My husband already thinks I'm nuts... Haha

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
  • Ml001Ml001 Posts: 354Registered Users
    I clarify or do a DT. No protein here!!

My twin babies just turned 12! I can still relate to the 2-yr old thing, though, because I have my grandson a lot and he is 14 months. He loves my phone!! :)
    remember, with all advice or suggestions for your hair, YMMV!! :read2:
    My hair:
    2b wavy, medium texture, low porosity, med-high density. Protein finicky.
    My routine:
    Cleansing: DCNP, every 4-5 days (occasionally use CJ cleansers).
    RO: CJSC, occasionally use JCDC
    LI: KCKT or CJSL
    Gel: KCCC, CJCIAB for 2nd day hair (sometimes third)

Heat is my friend: warm water rinses, steam caps, and diffuse dry. I love CLU cloths and my Denman.
    Well, I didn't PLAN on two at once! Lol!

I guess I've never done yogurt before... I've done eggs and mayo, tho. Maybe I'll give the yogurt a try sometime!

My husband already thinks I'm nuts... Haha

trust me on this :) I know your mileage may vary, as MI says, but. ! Dang, I was impressed! So as I mentioned earlier in the thread, and boy did it work! I looooove Greek yogourt! lol! It seems to be the only protein my hair likes ;p so far!

Who knows though, it might love gelatin bettah :D
    Well, some find it strong - I know I said I use 2 packets, but you might want to start with just one.

Let us know how it goes!!

Seal - MO or Jojoba
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    fefe912 wrote: »
    When my hair gets blah I use my aphogee 2 min reconstructor, deep condition, add some leave in and slick it back into a faux bun for a few days then it's usually back to how I want it by then lol.

Fefe, you are gorgeous and you have gorgeous hair :) I am jeals! lol!
    Well, some find it strong - I know I said I use 2 packets, but you might want to start with just one.

Let us know how it goes!!

I will Jas - and I love your posts, because you always bring up something new and cool to try :) Yay!
    Awww thank you :) and no need to be jealous at all when you have some pretty gorgeous looking hair yourself.
    Awww thank you :) and no need to be jealous at all when you have some pretty gorgeous looking hair yourself.

My hair is all S's ;p meh! My only corkscrews are on the ends. I can get Aphogee here in Canada, I think I will buy some and try it! lol! I will try anything once - probably why I am suuuuch a PJ! ;p
    Ml001 wrote: »
    I clarify or do a DT. No protein here!!

My twin babies just turned 12! I can still relate to the 2-yr old thing, though, because I have my grandson a lot and he is 14 months. He loves my phone!! :)

wow...yeah, twins - I can't picture it. You are in for some hair-raising times during hormone teenage phase! lol! Good luck!

You *never* use protein? Ever? Why? and what are the results of never using it? I can't use formulated products with it, and normally PT's do not work at all on me - but the yogourt one did - however, I did use the coconut oil on it afterwards and I think that made all the diff. Hard to tell, I tried 2 new things ;p Bad me!

My hair is all S's ;p meh! My only corkscrews are on the ends. I can get Aphogee here in Canada, I think I will buy some and try it! lol! I will try anything once - probably why I am suuuuch a PJ! ;p

still pretty and it doesn't hurt to try new things well it can hurt your pockets lol but that's besides the point :)

still pretty and it doesn't hurt to try new things well it can hurt your pockets lol but that's besides the point :)

aw, thanks, pretty fefe! Lol...I am a PJ for a reason ;) it hurts the pockets, yes, but experimentation is the only way to find the HG! (besides, it's fun to try new things! you never know what will happen!)
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    when my hair isnt looking its best i do a herbal acv rinse. i swear by it cause it hasnt once failed me. i get all my herbs, right now im using sage, marshmallow root and same sort of tea. i boil water add it as if im making tea to drink, then when its cold i strain it out and add a splash of vinegar to it and use it as a final rinse. normaly i do a DT first and use that to finish it off. its the best thing i can do for my hair.

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
  • missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users
    KM, you'll probably see on that recipe thread that some people mix yogurt into the gelatin. I haven't tried that yet but since I really need to start PTs again I'm planning on that tonight along with coconut oil and conditioner.
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
    The first few times I did the gelatin PT I added Greek yogurt. But my hair needed more protein, so I dropped the yogurt and added 2 different protein conditioners (ION Effective Care and CHS Pure Silk Protein), plus NPF into 3 packets of gelatin in 1/3 cup of water (I also add a bit of coconut oil). This is a SUPER STRONG variation and should only be attempted by people who know that their hair likes lots of protein.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
  • dresdendolldresdendoll Posts: 435Registered Users
    I just put it up in a ponytail or bun and don't touch it for a few days. Then, by the time I wash, it's usually rejuvenated. Actually, though, henna as a DT really made my hair super curly again! Maybe that can be my new "blah" go-to :)
    2c/2b with some 2a, coarse, dense, thick, low porosity
    Growing out a CL bob. Currently at APL.
    CG again as of 7/20/12 :laughing5:

Cleanser: BRÖÖ Smoothing I.P.A. Shampoo
    RO: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
    LI: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Beautiful Curls Gel for Wavy to Curly Hair

:love4: all-natural products, light moisture, humectants, argan oil
    :pukeright:silk protein, synthetic ingredients, heavy oils/products, cowashing
    missbanjo wrote: »
    KM, you'll probably see on that recipe thread that some people mix yogurt into the gelatin. I haven't tried that yet but since I really need to start PTs again I'm planning on that tonight along with coconut oil and conditioner.

Oooo! let us know what the results are :) since my hair does need, but does not love, protein, I thought the Greek yogourt would be enough, because the mayonnaise also has egg protein, and the honey has a trace of it (I used Manuka honey form New Zealand.). I will defs look into the thread - and, hey, I did find the yogourt to be lovely and it was accepted very well by my fusspot hair ;D Looking forward to your results!

ETA: Dresdendoll, I will have to try henna. Did you use a colouring one?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file