Cleansing conditioners?

poemaXXpoemaXX Curl NeophytePosts: 456Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So I love L'Oreal Evercreme Cleansing Conditioner, but I don't love L'Oreal as a brand so much. I prefer to support companies that make a point of being fair-trade and/or organic. I like the slip that a cleansing conditioner provides and how it doesn't strip my hair. Any leads on alternatives I should try? Would be good to take advantage of Black Friday deals! TIA.
|| 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || SD/dandruff prone

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month Leave-in OH Hair Dew Cheapie Conditioner Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing
Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR Style AOMMJ – Kept for troubleshooting.
Waiting to try extra-wide curlformers SD treatment H&S Clinical Strength

Comments

• waterlily716waterlily716 Posts: 781Registered Users
    Giovanni's Triple Tea Treat conditioner is nice. Although it's not labelled as a cleansing conditioner, it has tea tree oil in it, and it does the job. :)
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    3a/b low to normal porosity curls
    CG method since 2006 @:-)
    CO wash: suave naturals coconut
    rinse out CO: GVP conditioning balm
    stylers: KCNT, CK, jessicurl spiralicious
    @waterlily716 on YouTube, FB, & Twitter
    Blog: Curls and Blossoms

• dresdendolldresdendoll Posts: 435Registered Users
    I loved Darcy's Botanicals Daily Cleansing Conditioner Cream! It's all natural and works pretty well :) It doesn't provide much slip, but it definitely cleans with only the mildest surfactants and without stripping.
    2c/2b with some 2a, coarse, dense, thick, low porosity
    Growing out a CL bob. Currently at APL.
    CG again as of 7/20/12 :laughing5:

Cleanser: BRÖÖ Smoothing I.P.A. Shampoo
    RO: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
    LI: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Beautiful Curls Gel for Wavy to Curly Hair

:love4: all-natural products, light moisture, humectants, argan oil
    :pukeright:silk protein, synthetic ingredients, heavy oils/products, cowashing
  • poemaXXpoemaXX Curl Neophyte Posts: 456Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Giovanni's Triple Tea Treat conditioner is nice. Although it's not labelled as a cleansing conditioner, it has tea tree oil in it, and it does the job. :)

Giovanni conditioners do have a lot of slip... And this one has behentrimonium methosulfate so it'll lather. Hm. This may be worth revisiting! :cyclops: I tried it when i began my CG journey, but my hair is so different now that it just might work.
    I loved Darcy's Botanicals Daily Cleansing Conditioner Cream! It's all natural and works pretty well :) It doesn't provide much slip, but it definitely cleans with only the mildest surfactants and without stripping.

Can you believe I'd completely overlooked this brand so far? Even with all the rave reviews about their pumpkin seed conditioner. I'm not able to do a PJ haul right now, but I'm definitely making a note... :iconbiggrin:
    || 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || SD/dandruff prone

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month Leave-in OH Hair Dew Cheapie Conditioner Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing
    Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR Style AOMMJ – Kept for troubleshooting.

• KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    Have you tried Ren (by Renpure)? Renpure | Cleansing Conditioners | Rosemary Mint | Sweet Pomegranate
    I just bought one (BOGO free @ RiteAid), but I haven't tried it yet. I've read good things about them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
    KurleeEdna wrote: »
    Have you tried Ren (by Renpure)? Renpure | Cleansing Conditioners | Rosemary Mint | Sweet Pomegranate
    I just bought one (BOGO free @ RiteAid), but I haven't tried it yet. I've read good things about them.

Aw, it has amodimethicone – since I'm CG that's a no-no. :( Thanks though! I hope it works well for you.

• elizardelizard Posts: 284Registered Users
    poemaXX wrote: »
    Can you believe I'd completely overlooked this brand so far? Even with all the rave reviews about their pumpkin seed conditioner. I'm not able to do a PJ haul right now, but I'm definitely making a note... :iconbiggrin:

free shipping on orders of $25 or more at curlmart right now... wouldn't have to be much of a haul to make the cut!
    2b/c wavy modified CG since July 2012
    medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    hair likes protein, doesn't like oils, easily OC'd

low poo: JCHCC, CJGCS
    RO/co-wash/LI: YTCarrots, DB Pumpkin Seed
    stylers: a bunch of stylers that are all pretty much the same (KCCC, UFDCM, CRCM, CKCJ) or ArcAngel if I need more hold
    DT/PT: CJRM, CNPF
    elizard wrote: »

free shipping on orders of $25 or more at curlmart right now... wouldn't have to be much of a haul to make the cut!

I've told myself no purchases until Black Friday! :angel7: I'm gonna be a goooood PJ and hold off til the discounts roll in...

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    My faves are the following in no particular order:

CJ Daily Fix.....this is really good if you have hard water and for the occasional cone use because it does have Cocomidapropyl Betaine in it and Tetrasodium EDT for the hard water. VERY moisturizing!

Darcy's......another fave, moisture heaven but not as cleansing as CJDF

As I am Coconut Cleansing Cream......an on ground fave as you can get it at Sallys.

HTH!
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SohoSoho Posts: 63Registered Users
    Wen! Nothing I mean nothing comes close to it!
  • jsuzkelleyjsuzkelley Curl Neophyte Posts: 610Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rymorg2 wrote: »

CJ Daily Fix.....this is really good if you have hard water and for the occasional cone use because it does have Cocomidapropyl Betaine in it and Tetrasodium EDT for the hard water. VERY moisturizing!

As I am Coconut Cleansing Cream......an on ground fave as you can get it at Sallys.

HTH!

I haven't tried Darcy's yet (but love other products from this brand), but the CJ and AIA are my two staple co-washes. As rymorg said, CJDF is great if you have hard water or use the occasional cone; the AIA is perfect for an everday co-wash (works well without stripping my hair) and is affordable and available on the ground.
    2c/3a, botticelli/wavy/'swavy (huh?)
    fine, dense, normal porosity/elasticity, dry climate
    My favorite brands are Kinky Curly, As I am, Curly Kinks, Curl Junkie, and Darcy's Botanicals. Also love sealing with oils (loving argan oil right now) and styling with jelly products (KCCC is my current favorite). Mostly trying to keep it simple!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since 12/29/2011 :laughing6:
    Soho wrote: »
    Wen! Nothing I mean nothing comes close to it!

Wen has amodimethicone, so it's a no-go for me. :sad: Thanks though!
    jsuzkelley wrote: »
    rymorg2 wrote: »

HTH!

I haven't tried Darcy's yet (but love other products from this brand), but the CJ and AIA are my two staple co-washes. As rymorg said, CJDF is great if you have hard water or use the occasional cone; the AIA is perfect for an everday co-wash (works well without stripping my hair) and is affordable and available on the ground.

These three sound great – the Curl Junkie one especially! Thanks, gals. :)

• FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Daily Fix by CJ is my favorite. I also like the As I Am Cleanser and Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • dresdendolldresdendoll Posts: 435Registered Users

Giovanni conditioners do have a lot of slip... And this one has behentrimonium methosulfate so it'll lather. Hm. This may be worth revisiting! :cyclops: I tried it when i began my CG journey, but my hair is so different now that it just might work.

My hair was acting up, so I tried the DB Cleansing Conditioner Cream again, it was GREAT! It actually had lots of slip and was very moisturizing yet cleansing. Totally recommend it! Haha, I have actually just order the Pumpkin to try. :)
    2c/2b with some 2a, coarse, dense, thick, low porosity
    Growing out a CL bob. Currently at APL.
    CG again as of 7/20/12 :laughing5:

Cleanser: BRÖÖ Smoothing I.P.A. Shampoo
    RO: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
    LI: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Beautiful Curls Gel for Wavy to Curly Hair

:love4: all-natural products, light moisture, humectants, argan oil
    :pukeright:silk protein, synthetic ingredients, heavy oils/products, cowashing
  • CrownedwisdomCrownedwisdom Posts: 82Registered Users
    I just bought the loreal line yesterday because I didn't have money to buy my usual and I'm trying them out cause they were price cut at Target. I was the forever reading the bottles because I too am strictly CG and some of there products are silicone, sulfrate free but they were all mixed in together so I had to ensure what was what. I felt like I worked at Target because women were questioning if that is what I use for my hair, I had to direct them to the Shea products and other recommendations and explain this was my first time trying the products. I used the cleansing cream this morning and was surprised on the slip. I usually use Deva no poo because the slip on it works great for my thick long hair. Ill be following this thread cause I also like to support more natural companies.

Just found out that Massage Warehouse sells Giovanni conditioners in liter and gallon sizes. Verrrrry tempting since it drives the cost per ounce down even more! :) Massage Warehouse: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    I just bought the loreal line yesterday because I didn't have money to buy my usual and I'm trying them out cause they were price cut at Target. I was the forever reading the bottles because I too am strictly CG and some of there products are silicone, sulfrate free but they were all mixed in together so I had to ensure what was what. I felt like I worked at Target because women were questioning if that is what I use for my hair, I had to direct them to the Shea products and other recommendations and explain this was my first time trying the products. I used the cleansing cream this morning and was surprised on the slip. I usually use Deva no poo because the slip on it works great for my thick long hair. Ill be following this thread cause I also like to support more natural companies.
    I'm almost sad I like this L'Oreal product so much! :angel12: But I know there are more natural alternatives out there. The Giovanni TTTT seems like a very reasonably priced option. Curly Junkie Daily Fix sounds really cleansing without stripping. Darcy's Botanicals sounds moisturizing and dreamy. :love1:

FrizzBgone wrote: »
    Daily Fix by CJ is my favorite. I also like the As I Am Cleanser and Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

I second the Jessicurl cleansing cream. So gentle.. :love7:

I also wanted to add the Ouidad cleansing conditioner. Just tried it and it's great! If you can get it for a steal.

Oh and also the ubiquitous Devacurl no-poo. Has a yummy lemon scent. :)
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

• wildasshairwildasshair Posts: 4Registered Users
    I just tried this today (Rosemary & Mint) with disastrous results! I'm 3B/C, coarse, extremely dry hair. Ren made my hair tangle into a horrible mess (in the shower), felt really dried out, and adding more didn't help at all. Tried to finger-comb my hair while in the shower (and with my hair slathered in Ren), and pulled out huge wads of hair! I immediately took it back, but that still leaves me with the frustrating question of how to go CG and find something that really works like it claims to? So frustrating. My hair is so dry and needs a ton of slip so I don't pull it all out when i out when I finger comb it in the shower.
  • Marie01141976Marie01141976 Posts: 13Registered Users
    I recently found my HG co wash! I am a 3a/3b combo, and I have fallen in love with ABBA Pure Gentle leave in condish. I use it as both co wash and leave in. It has great slip, and foams just a tiny bit. Cone free w/ tons of yummy botanicals. A bit pricey, but I buy liters for $9.99 @ TJ Maxx.
    Henna!!! Red Raj from Henna Sooq
    Co-washes: ABBA Pure Gentle (HG), Tresseme Naturals.
    Low-poo: Shea Moisture (all of them), Renpure my pretty hair is parched.
    Rinse-out: Tigi Bead Head Moisture Maniac, GF Length and Strength.
    Leave-in: ABBA Pure Gentle, KCKT, Henna Sooq cocoveda oil.
    Stylers: Fairy Tales Curly Q's gel (HG), KCCC, Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothy, GF pure clean gel.
    I just tried this today (Rosemary & Mint) with disastrous results! I'm 3B/C, coarse, extremely dry hair. Ren made my hair tangle into a horrible mess (in the shower), felt really dried out, and adding more didn't help at all. Tried to finger-comb my hair while in the shower (and with my hair slathered in Ren), and pulled out huge wads of hair! I immediately took it back, but that still leaves me with the frustrating question of how to go CG and find something that really works like it claims to? So frustrating. My hair is so dry and needs a ton of slip so I don't pull it all out when i out when I finger comb it in the shower.

I haven't looked at the Ren ingredients, but it sounds like your hair might be protein sensitive. Many folks who are describe dry tangly hair even with conditioner.

• Corrina777Corrina777 Curl Connoisseur Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had the same experience with Ren ad I don't have protein sensitivities at all. I don't know what it was about it, but my hair hated it. The only thing I could think of was the amodimethicone since I've found that my hair doesn't do well with silicones in cleansers or conditioners.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • yossarianyossarian Posts: 967Registered Users
    I haven't tried it yet, but Walmart has the new L'Oreal Evercurl CC, which received good reviews here.

L'Oreal Paris EverCurl Hydracharge Cleansing Conditioner, 8.3 fl oz: Hair Care : Walmart.com

If I do decide to pick it up, I'll give you some feedback.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
  • crazywavescrazywaves Posts: 582Registered Users
    When I use Ren I only use it as a cleanser. I always use a rinse out after it.
    yossarian wrote: »
    I haven't tried it yet, but Walmart has the new L'Oreal Evercurl CC, which received good reviews here.

L'Oreal Paris EverCurl Hydracharge Cleansing Conditioner, 8.3 fl oz: Hair Care : Walmart.com

If I do decide to pick it up, I'll give you some feedback.

This has a really heavy perfume scent, that combined what with only can be described as a gunky texture put me off of it. If you don't mind strong fragrances you might try it out.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

• JeebaJeeba Posts: 1Registered Users
    The best conditioning cleanser I've used so far is Deva Curls no poo. You can also use your conditioner as a cleanser and a conditioner. As long as you give your scalp a good scrub your hair will be clean.

If you are looking for something a little less expensive than devacurl, I also use a lather free cleanser and conditioner from "curls" . Its all natural and has a coconut base. It can usually be found in any beauty supply store.

Hope this helps!

Pretty City Style | by City Dolls
  • abstractcurlsabstractcurls Posts: 380Registered Users
    Silk Naturals Coconut Argan Cleansing Conditioner is my favorite for two reasons first is it's light, but heavy enough to leave your hair feeling soft and it detangles well. Second is the smell... it's not overpowering at all. I am protein sensitive and this conditioner doesn't bug my hair at all. I also love their making waves gel.

Silk Naturals
  • NvmbrCurlssNvmbrCurlss Curl Neophyte Posts: 732Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    As I Am. Good stuff:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
    LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
    NoP: As I Am CC
    RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
    LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
  • MojoDojoMojoDojo Curl Neophyte Posts: 702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use Wen personally, but I also have to clarify every couple of weeks with it.

But my hair also did badly with CG (I got super itchy scalp, which rectified itself when I washed with a clarifying shampoo...), so I don't care that it's not CG. *shrugs*
    I AM THE NEANDERTHAL SLAYER!!!

UPDATE: I decided to revisit Giovanni TTTT as a cowash and I love it!! My scalp is clean and there is plenty of slip to detangle my hair. YAY! :cheers:

• MaggieTMaggieT Curl Novice Posts: 178Registered Users Curl Novice
    UPDATE: I decided to revisit Giovanni TTTT as a cowash and I love it!! My scalp is clean and there is plenty of slip to detangle my hair. YAY! :cheers:

I'm so glad you posted this update -- I'm eager to try something new and have been wondering what to try. Gonna give this one a go! (I've been using Deva Care No Poo for years, but suddenly it's drying out my hair. Need a switch!)
    --
    3b, fine, medium density, normal porosity
    Wash: Deva No Poo, sometime Phytojoba, Avalon lemon when needs clarifying
    Rinse-out: Deva One Condition, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening, Phytojoba (kinda heavy for my hair but good noisture)
    DT: CJ CCCCL, or KCKT
    Leave-in: Phytokeratine, CCCCL
    Styling: Deva Coconut Supercream or their Wave Maker with a little CS over the top
  • anonymous_133347anonymous_133347 Posts: 1,426Registered Users
    poemaXX, also try Trader Joe's tea tree tingle conditioner if you have a Tj's nearby! I hear it's comparable to the Giovanni formula and even cheaper. I just love it. The slip is out of this world.
    3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
    Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
    Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
    Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file