How long did you wait before chopping the relaxed ends?

SmallFrySmallFry Posts: 614Registered Users
So I've been transitioning for a year now. And I am tempted to just go ahead and cut my hair. I guess I have around 6 inches of new growth. And I'm thinking of cutting off a few inches. (not sure how many) On the other hand I want to grow my hair out and now its about 2-3 inches above bsl. I don't know... I don't know what to do. How long did you wait to cut relaxed ends?
thanks
Lotsa 3c curls
Curly Journey Album
Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have

Comments

• chipmunk226chipmunk226 Posts: 3Registered Users
    i was just about to post a thread with the same question :D

i have been transitioning for about 8 months, and i have about 4 inches of new growth and about 6 inches of my 'old' hair. I am wondering if it's better get get rid of the 'dead' weight and just cut to the new growth. but i'm afraid if i do that, i will be drastically limiting my style options.
  • elliemay72elliemay72 Posts: 49Registered Users
    I haven't chopped yet, but I plan to do it after about a year of transitioning. Right now I have about 4-5 inches of new growth, which I am totally in love with, but that's also a very awkward length, so I hope to gain a few more inches of new growth before I finally cave in to the chop. Good luck, ladies!
    Loving my natural 4a curls, coils and squiggles!
  • susususu Curl Connoisseur Posts: 767Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I transitioned for about 15 months. I didn't have a particular goal in mind - just decided one day that I was ready to chop. I liked that I was able to put my hair up in a ponytail/puff, but part of me wishes I had gone for a TWA (just b/c I've never had super-short hair).
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Curl Connoisseur Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I transitioned for almost 2 years. Heck, when I started, I didn't even know what a "transition" was. :lol: I had around 15 inches of relaxed hair. I did micro trims along the way, until Aug. '03 when I decided that I was ready to cut the remaining 3 or so inches off. I heat styled through my transition.

I chopped when I was ready, and I'm glad I did. It helped me sorta get used to my hair, even though I was using crappy products at the time. Once I cut, I was able to style my hair pretty easily, because I had months of experience learning how to care for it. Some can just chop it off, and for those ladies, good for them. I couldn't do it. :lol: I've had short hair before(that came just above my ears), so it wasn't a matter of not knowing how to care for shorter hair, but I just wanted my length. I liked having the ability to slick it back into a pony when I didn't feel like doing it. With shorter hair, I'd pretty much always have to do something to it everyday(speaking for myself).

Just chop when you're ready. If you want to chop the remaining pieces off, go for it. If you're not ready, cut them when you are. :)
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • wysiwyg99wysiwyg99 Posts: 36Registered Users
    My last relaxer was in June 2006, and since my hair grows quickly (I have to color every 3-4 weeks to keep the gray hair from shining through! :shock: ) I figure I'll have enough new growth to chop off the relaxed ends in June or July of this year. The relaxed ends are aggravating, but if I get rid of them too soon, I won't have enough hair to twist up which is my hairstyle 50% of the time right now (for the other 50%, I do either a rollerset or blow dry, then flat iron). The wash-n-go won't work till everything is natural as the relaxed ends don't curl enough to look good. I've been getting a Ouidad cut since I started the process and my hairdresser is encouraging me to let it grow as much as possible(ok so i can be a little scissor-happy!) before getting rid of the ends since I have very thick, tightly curled/wavy hair and I need as much length as possible to weigh it down...but a year-long transition is all I can do!
    3b/c - Thick coarse hair that doesn't like protein or shea butter. Current routine: Wen Cleansing Conditioner, Yes to Cucumbers for daily co-wash, IC Fantasia Gel (blue)/CJ Aloe Fix to style, CIAB to finish/refresh curls :thumbleft:
  • GiveMeABMWGiveMeABMW Posts: 219Registered Users
    I last had my hair TR'd in March '06. I am painstakingly making myself wait to do the chop until June. I don't know how my 3B/C hair would look super short, but it's got to look better than my hair does right now.

When I was 9 I had a traumatic short haircut that my mother BRUSHED every day, so I essentially had a mess of frizz and no curl definition. I guess that memory is what is making me wait, though I know I take much better care of my hair now and it wouldn't look like that. Hopefully.
    What's working this week:
    Shower: Garnier 3x Nutrition shampoo 1x per week, cowash with Tres Semme Naturals, condition with
    GF Sleek and Shine deep conditioner
    Styling: Tres Semme Naturals as leave in, L'Oreal Melting gel and HE SMU raked in, LOOB and AG Re:Coil scrunched in, Jojoba Oil scrunched in when totally dry
    :toothy4: 3B
  • SmallFrySmallFry Posts: 614Registered Users
    Thank you all for all your quick replies!
    Well I am starting to think that maybe I'm not ready. Because I don't like the "in between length." Plus, I NEED to be able to put it into a ponytail- for those "don't feel like styling days".
    So I'm thinking maybe I'll wait a few more months. Or if I wake up one morning and decide "this is it" then I'll go ahead and chop it! I am really impressed with how long it has already grown.

Thanks everyone for helping me see the light!
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file