CurlTalk

Hobbies and crafts - what are yours?

Sewing! I am ready to get back into sewing. I made my Halloween dress and had a lot of fun. My next project is to make a dress for my company Christmas party. I still have the red and silver fabric from my costume. Well, I am going to use that to make my dress. Repurposed. :)

Comments

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I've started knitting again after a few years. Little projects: scarves and leg warmers. I don't think I'll ever be tackling sweaters and blankets again.
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users
    I'm a spinner. I spin yarn out of wool and alpaca fiber.

• Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users

That has always looked like so much fun to me.

I like photography and making jewelry. I recently bought a new bead loom, after mine broke a few years ago. I hope to bring it to work and on slow (hopefully :) slow is always good) night shifts and get back into one part of my hobby.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users

That has always looked like so much fun to me.

I like photography and making jewelry. I recently bought a new bead loom, after mine broke a few years ago. I hope to bring it to work and on slow (hopefully :) slow is always good) night shifts and get back into one part of my hobby. I can spend hours designing and making something.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sariroosariroo Posts: 1,958Registered Users
    I love to sew. I mostly work on quilts, clothes for my child, fixing and hemming clothes for my family and others. I also have an embroidery machine and I like to embellish clothes for my daughter, personalize things for people, etc. I also can knit, crochet, make crafts with paper like cards and such, origami, and kirigami. I pretty much like most types of crafts but sewing is my favorite. I just wish I had more time and money to devote to it.
    316vq4y.jpg
    I envy all of you who say they like to sew. I hate sewing so much that when the hems fall out of my dress pants, I just staple them instead of sewing in a blind stitch. It's not hard and I can do it, I just hate it so much that I'd rather staple the hems and redo them as the staples give way than actually sew in a blind stitch.

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Hemming tape should be your best friend. No stitching. Just snip, apply, fold, and iron. You're done.

1104020918-vi.jpg

I just cut the dress down, added a new middle, and started to sew it back together. I'll model it later if anyone is interested. :) It looks better with a body added.

I am getting a new sewing machine at the end of this month. Right now I am sewing everything by hand.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Makeup! And making YT vids.
    Making jewelry and karate are old hobbies of mine. I haven't done either in a while.
    Baking, cooking, making crafty-type gifts are other hobbies
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • ggard85ggard85 Posts: 186Registered Users
    Making jewelry and karate are old hobbies of mine. I haven't done either in a while.

What is your YT name?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    I sew, knit, crochet, make jewelry, cook, bake, garden, paint, sculpt, take photographs, sketch portraits, and work on yoga and meditation. I have always been artistic and even though I work as an accountant (not a CPA!!!) my college degree is in Fine Arts. I didn't go to an art school though; I went to a liberal arts college, so I also had classes in accounting, business law, literature of ancient world cultures, Classical literature and tons of math. If I had taken one more math class, I would have had a minor in math :pukeleft:
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    Sewing, quilting and paper crafts
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    I knit. I love it. It's so soothing to me. SunshineGirl what do you do with the spun yarn?
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,677Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I knit and do cross-stitch though both are very sporadic these days, in fact I can't remember the last time I picked up my cross-stitch. I love gardening, growing veggies among other things, and baking.
    3b in South Australia.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    ggard85 wrote: »

What is your YT name?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    Kimshi4242 :)
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    I knit. I love it. It's so soothing to me. SunshineGirl what do you do with the spun yarn?

Ha! I usually give it away once I've actually spun enough to make it worthwhile for someone. I'm not interested enough to learn how to knit or crochet and the spinning is the relaxing part for me. Once I'm done spinning, it's kind of pointless for me to do anything else with it. I don't spin often anymore because I don't have room to set it up. That actually just changed, so I might be able to take it up more often. It can take quite a while to actually get enough yarn spun and plied to make it worth somebody's time. Because it's wool and alpaca, it tends to be extremely warm, too. So the person can usually only use what they make out of the yarn during winter.

• scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    I was just thinking I want more fiber type yarn. hmm. I sure wish I new someone who spins and would sell me some spun wool. hmm. If only I knew someone :-)

Lately...
    - Crocheting
    - Book making
    - Jewelry
    - cooking
    - photography (just bought a camera and getting started)
    - Gardening
    - Making my own products (home, laundry, hair, body)

In the past...
    - glass blowing
    - furniture making

I tried felting but I sucked at him. And for Christmas, I'm asking Santa for a sewing machine.

I'm trying to do a ton of homemade gifts this year for Christmas
    scrills wrote: »
    I was just thinking I want more fiber type yarn. hmm. I sure wish I new someone who spins and would sell me some spun wool. hmm. If only I knew someone :-)

Welllll, next time I have enough yarn spun, I know who to contact!

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    I bake a lot, especially in the fall and winter. I sometimes do crewel. It's very relaxing, but I'm not very good. Sometimes I doodle (again, not very good...LOL) I also like to make stuff like candles, lip balms, and perfumes. It's fun to experiment.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • ThickHairedQTThickHairedQT Posts: 542Registered Users
    I crochet, knit, paint, draw, bake, cook, sew. Lately, I've been baking and crocheting like crazy. It feels right for this time of year.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using CurlTalk App
  • EricachristinaEricachristina Posts: 496Registered Users
    I love to write and I’m working on a fictional novel right now which I hope to publish next year.

Love experimenting with makeup and I always end up doing my friends or family’s makeup for big events.

I also LOVE to travel; I go on a trip every few months. Just this September my husband and I celebrated our 3 yr anniversary and we went to San Juan, Barbados, St Thomas, St Kitts, St Maarten and St Lucia! And on Dec 8th we are going to Fort Lauderdale, the Bahamas, Curacao and Aruba....after that who knows maybe China or Dubai!

I also like to Scrapbook and have tons of travel scrapbooks.

I also dabble in photography although I have only taken a couple classes.I'm always looking for the perfect shot and have lots of beautiful photos framed around the house.

I also like to blog

• adorame06adorame06 Posts: 572Registered Users
    I like painting with acrylics and also I like to make my own custom nail polish using pigments and sometimes adding glitters. I have sold a few to family and friends.
    CG on 2/16/2010
    My curls looks like the 3a pictures
    Hair length is to my bra strap, it's fine textured, but the density is thick, not much elasticity, Naturally Blonde but Color treated because of graying going on

My hair loves
    coconut oil
    Homemade FSG
    Hair one for my co wash
    Ecostyler olive oil

Princess Brandy Brat, Chief Jewel Crafter and Royal Nanny to the Court of the Red and White Rose for the Order of the Curly Crusaders.