Curly Holiday Swap 2012 - Likes/Dislikes

Comments

• theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    I was born in January, I'm an Aquarius. I have no theme. I have movie posters and original art work from new orleans on my walls. I have katana's displayed and stuffed animals on my bed and table. my color theme for the moment is purple. my bathroom still have body parts on the floor.:tongue10:
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    missbanjo wrote: »

Any likes? Such a broad question, LOL...
    I like jewellry, scarves, accessories, fashion. I like good teas. I like interesting items from other cultures/locations/countries. I like bold, bright colours and statement pieces.

Or dislikes? LOL, couldn't help but think that I'm gonna dislike it if I get a package on Tuesday or Wednesday this week... I don't even start thinking Christmas till Advent starts, which is Dec 2, and don't think presents till a little bit after that. To me, presents should come close to Christmas. So you don't need to rush on sending mine... you can buy it whenever you want if there's sales now but there's no brownie points for being the first one to send it out!

I don't like most knick-knacky things or decorations or that type of stuff asI am pretty particular about them. (Exceptions for interesting artifacts from other places as above.)

I also hate stuff that is supposed to be aimed at "chicks" like romantic comedies and chick lit.

Don't like candles or incense or burning oils or heavily scented items or sprays.

Can't drink coffee.

Favorite Type of Food (i.e. Italian, Mexican, McDonald’s, Burger King, etc) :

So many! Not fast food. I like interesting "ethnic" foods, and I am a vegetarian. I like Italian, Mexican, Chinese, Thai, Korean, Caribbean, Ethiopian, Indian, Pakistani, Laotian, Tibetan, El Salvadorean, etc. etc. etc. I like spicy foods!

Favorite Candy (things that won’t melt or go bad in mail) :

Hmmm, I try to limit candy and I mostly like chocolate anyway. I do love black licorice, especially the health food store kind, or a splurge on licorice allsorts.

Favorite Scent (i.e. Fruity, Vanilla, Flowery, etc):

Coconut is the winner - that's my signature scent. Vanilla is nice too. Cinnamon. Or peppermint. Mango or other rich exotic fruits are sometimes OK but I don't like the super-fruity smells. Lemon is nice and fresh.

Favorite Hobby (i.e. Scrap booking, Photography, things you collect, etc):

I like photography and would like to be more organized and do some kind of scrapbooks but never actually do. Really my only "hobbies" are writing and reading and I'm not sure if my music is a "hobby." I guess cooking and sewing if I have time for them.

Favorite books or types (romance, true store, mystery or just one you would like):

I like novels. The type I enjoy are those that explore historical or social issues. Colonialism and its aftermath is my favourite thing to read about. I also enjoy non-fiction that looks creatively at those issues. There's nothing specific I had in mind. Oh wait, I was reading recently about some books by Ken McGoogan about Arctic exploration and Inuit peoples that looked fascinating. On a completely different note, I also like fashion workbooks/how-tos.

Favorite animal:

Lions.

Favorite movies or types (romance, comedy or just a DVD/VHS you would like):

I like dramas and meaty things - stories that again engage with interesting social questions. I like good quality comedy too. I've been wanting to see Black Swan.

Favorite Color :

Red, with pink a runner-up.

Favorite Music Artist/Type or a CD you would like:

I like opera, world music, Latin and Caribbean music, jazz, and SOME hip-hop / R & B.
    I mostly download the stuff I want. I would however like to have Esperanza Spalding on disc.

Do you collect anything?

No, not really.

Is there anything (not expensive) you want or need?

Anything I want or need is expensive, LOL! (just kidding... sort of...)

Do you wear accessories/jewelry?

Yes, I do, and I have pierced ears. But for earrings, I am sensitive to anything but gold and silver.

Anything else you would like your SS to know about you:

I'm being detailed here but really, I've done this a couple of times before and I was thrilled to see what great ideas my SS came up with - I was totally happy with everything and I'm not just saying that. It really is the thought that counts.

Are you allergic to anything or have anything in particular you prefer NOT to get (like food, hair stuff, lotion, etc):

My allergies are peanuts and heavy scents and my skin is very particular as to what goes on it. I don't mind getting hair stuff if it's something that will work for me. If someone wants to send me more Elucence conditioner, I would love that!

ALSO! If for some reason you prefer your secret curly NOT do a signature required option at delivery or any other special requests please let us know.

No issues with that - whatever gives the SS the most security.

ETA: My add on questions:
    What month is your birthday?

December

What color(s)/theme is your bathroom and bedroom?

We have 2 bathrooms that I use, but the one that is MINE has a tropical theme (bamboo, gauze, tropical plants etc.) and the colours are brown/green/white. The other one is white and beige and really simple.

Bedroom is currently just white but I am wanting/planning to add some navy and gold accents - either that or red and gold but am leaning to navy as blue seems more calming for sleep.

Why yes I stole it from last year's list! :lol:

I think that's it! Hope this helps someone!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• Night_OwlNight_Owl Posts: 110Registered Users
    I am a single mom to a very busy 16 month old girl named Kennedy.

-anything from your part of the country
    -wild nail polish for my toe nails
    -handmade stuff
    -fairies
    -purple
    -butterflies
    -citrus scents, orange is the best

Kennedy's Likes:

-ducks
    -chocolate
    -books

DISLIKES:

-coffee, tea, floral scents

COLLECTIONS:

I have started a Christmas ornament collection for Kennedy. I collect fairies.

ALLERGIES:

Please do not send lotions or bath stuff. I have very sensitive skin and an allergy to perfume. I'm also allergic to nickel, so while I love earrings I can only wear real gold.

OTHER

I have 5 cats and a toddler so knick knack stuff and candles are pretty much useless for me, though I do have a place to put my fairies where they can't get broken. I hate coffee with a passion. I like jewellery but there's that whole toddler thing again.

My birthday is in February, birthstone is Amethyst. Kennedy is July, birthstone is Ruby.

I have been doing this swap for years and some of the best gifts have been local to your area products and handmade stuff. Two years ago I got a handmade sign with butterflies on it that I used as inspiration for my daughter's nursery. I still have a piece of art that was given to me many years ago, my Santa bought it from a local artist. Last year Kennedy got an ornament with her name on it and that made me cry.
    pWP4LOq.jpgpWP4m7.png
  • Night_OwlNight_Owl Posts: 110Registered Users
    mcheryce- Keep checking back for about week, some of the curlies (like myself) are slow to post their lists.
    pWP4LOq.jpgpWP4m7.png
  • missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mcheryce, the first post in this thread has links to the last 2 years. They should have links to previous years as well.
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Any likes?

Bacon. My cat. My boyfriend. Loose tea.

Or dislikes?

Reality TV.

Favorite Type of Food (i.e. Italian, Mexican, McDonald’s, Burger King, etc) :

Bacon. Not spicy stuff or cilantro.

Favorite Candy (things that won’t melt or go bad in mail) :

I like most candy

Favorite Scent (i.e. Fruity, Vanilla, Flowery, etc):

Leather, amber, oud, citrus.

Favorite Hobby (i.e. Scrap booking, Photography, things you collect, etc):

Reading. Doing my nails.

Favorite books or types (romance, true store, mystery or just one you would like):

Sci-fi, fantasy, some fiction and non fiction. Historical fiction.

Favorite animal:

My cat. Kitties. Iguanas.

Favorite movies or types (romance, comedy or just a DVD/VHS you would like):

Period pieces. Dramas. Sci-fi/fantasy.

Favorite Color :

Purple, green, orange.

Favorite Music Artist/Type or a CD you would like:

Random stuff, but little country, pop, or radio style hip hop.

Do you collect anything?

Fiestaware. Nail polish.

Not really.

Do you wear accessories/jewelry?

Not very often.

Anything else you would like your SS to know about you:

I have many posts here. That won't be hard to figure out. ;)

Are you allergic to anything or have anything in particular you prefer NOT to get (like food, hair stuff, lotion, etc):

Mild issue with large doses of cinnamon

ALSO! If for some reason you prefer your secret curly NOT do a signature required option at delivery or any other special requests please let us know.

I do not need signature confirmation. If you need it, that's fine.

ETA: My add on questions:
    What month is your birthday?

What color(s)/theme is your bathroom and bedroom?

September.
    My bathroom is ducky themed.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • mcherycemcheryce Posts: 363Registered Users
    missbanjo wrote: »
    Mcheryce, the first post in this thread has links to the last 2 years. They should have links to previous years as well.

Thanks! I found her!!
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm copying my list from the last 5 years and modifying! :iconbiggrin:

Favorite Foods: Italian, Chinese, anything I don't have to cook! I love good coffee (decaf whole bean) (no sumatra or other "earthy" coffees)

Favorite Candy: Good dark chocolate

Favorite Scent: Lavender, Vanilla, Peppermint; food scents like coffee, cookies (not spicy like cinnamon, etc)

Favorite Hobby: Reading, surfing the net (here!), walking, traveling, painting my nails

Favorite books: Fantasy (D&D type), sci-fi, light romance. Favorite author: R.A. Salvatore (I don't have any books from R.A. Salvatore from the last couple of years)

Favorite animal: wolves, dogs, my dog Jasper

Favorite Colors: Teal and Purple. I like to wear these colors the most, and have them around the house. I change out decorations in the living room from purples(fall) to peaches and teals (spring/summer), depending on the season. I like reds and blues for Christmas.

Favorite Music Artist/Type or a CD you would like: (can't think of anything right now, I'll update if I think of anything) But I'll put types: New Age, smooth jazz, rock, reggae.... (anything but country/western or rap)

Do you collect anything? Not anymore. I don't have room for any more knick-knacks! :oops: Well, maybe C'mas decos are ok, like snowmen. :icon_smile:

Good nail polish (3+free) like Zoya, China Glaze, OPI, Nubar; good top/base coats too.

Do you wear accessories/jewelry? I have pierced ears, I wear both gold and silver jewelry. I love old coins (roman, french, etc) -- a pendant or something would be great.

What month is your birthday? July, but most lab rubies are way too pink. Moonstone is another July stone, and I like that. But I love teal/ocean colors in stones, etc like aquamarine, blue topaz...

What color(s)/theme is your bathroom and bedroom? Light teals and blues, like seafoam and light peaches (tropical/beachy)

Anything else you would like your SS to know about you: Married with one teen son and a dog. We celebrate Christmas. We love snowmen. Anything regional or special to you or your area would be nice.

Prefer not to get: please no candles (I have tons to burn through, and more holders than I can use), no body wash (unless it's sulfate-free)

As always, anything my SC chooses will be special and greatly appreciated. I have never gotten anything I didn't love so far. :icon_smile:

no sig req'd, but delivery confirmation is good!

*** I'll modify if I think of anything else.
    :icon_smile:

ETA: I thought of something else! I'd like this CD -- http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Red-25-Greatest-Hits/dp/B001NJY68O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=64V8JRRC6L8N&coliid=I3T88A9306D0MK
    If it's too late, that's OK too, but I wanted to give another suggestion. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    I think we should amend future lists to include whether or not our curlies celebrate Christmas.
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
    kayb wrote: »
    I think we should amend future lists to include whether or not our curlies celebrate Christmas.

Good point. My curly from last year isn't a Christian. I made sure not to use Christmas specific cards and wrap.

• spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    kayb, that's a great idea. I'd hate to buy an ornament for someone who doesn't celebrate, I'd feel like an ass. :lol:

There are always things I wonder about so maybe for next year we can modify the questions a bit, like I'm not so sure the food question is all that relevant? Unless someone wants to mail me an entire Mexican feast! :occasion9:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
    spring1onu wrote: »
    kayb, that's a great idea. I'd hate to buy an ornament for someone who doesn't celebrate, I'd feel like an ass. :lol:

There are always things I wonder about so maybe for next year we can modify the questions a bit, like I'm not so sure the food question is all that relevant? Unless someone wants to mail me an entire Mexican feast! :occasion9:

I had originally bought the cutest one ever for my curly, but now I'm afraid to send it because I don't know if they celebrate.

Maybe we should just start updating our lists from this year so that my curly doesn't miss out on what's a really pretty gift.

Maybe it's so that they can get you a Mexican cookbook. We know how much you love to cook :P
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,509Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Really? We have to start worrying that we will use the 'wrong' wrapping paper? No.
    Many non-christians celebrate Christmas, including me (and also Hannukah and any other holiday that happens my way). So my curly might get a card with Santa on it and wrapping paper with a Christmas tree on it.
    And if someone sends me a giant crucifix wrapped in paper with menorahs and buddhas on it, cool.
    And how can ornaments ever be a bad thing? I don't have Christmas trees anymore but I love ornaments. I hang them on the wall or on doorknobs. I have glass jars full of them.
    I'm feeling ranty so I better go for a snack.

Oh, and if someone wants to send me a meal, that's cool too.

: )
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    98% of americans celebrate Christmas or something very similar. Odds are your curly does too. Why would they do this exchange? Its practically called secret santa. Well.. it should be. ;-)
    No, I think Spring understood more of what I meant. I don't want to end up buying a Christmas ornament when someone doesn't have a tree. That really is all it boils down to.

Not so much about the wrapping, I just wanna know if my curly is going to have a Christmas tree up this year.

Jeepy, you are admittedly one of the most relaxed people (except for when you're hungry) :P

People can be picky.
    "
  • missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Good one Kayb! I'll add it to the original questions in the thread.
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,670Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    kayb wrote: »

yes, thanks, i forgot that kayb. i do list the holidays covered by this swap in the first post of the thread - Hanukkah, Christmas, Yule and Kwanzaa. and it would be good to know which one your curly celebrates.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,670Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    mcheryce wrote: »
    Its practically called secret santa. Well.. it should be. ;-)

no, it shouldn't be.

that's why we call it the Curly Holiday Swap and specifically say Hanukkah, Christmas, Yule and Kwanzaa are the holidays involved. if Diwali took place in December, i'd include it in the list.

the person who started this back in 1999 is a very devout christian and she didn't want it to be focused on one holiday. everyone should feel included, no matter what they do - or don't - celebrate.

and every person who has run this since then has done the same. including the devout atheist who's running it this year!

:laughing1:
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    I agree. My point is that people who are athiest or jehovas witness and don't celebrate holidays probably wouldn't participate. And I know ppl who celebrate several winter holidays and Christmas also, not instead of Christmas. Ive never said "merry Christmas" to someone who responded with "I'm offended."
    If I got some Jewish thing in my gift bag I'd say thank you and then give it away. I wouldn't complain about it. But I don't want to change the theme of this discussion. Thanks again for pointing out where to find the old lists. I've got shopping to do. :-D
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    I just updated my first post mentioning that I'm Jewish. A *lot* of the curlies on this board are either Jewish or atheist, or at least likely to feel a bit offended by a "praise Jesus" ornament. (Or Muslim, Buddhist, pagan, etc. And is pagan actually supposed to be capitalized? I feel like it's not, but I'm not sure.)

I think cards and wrapping paper are no biggie - I wouldn't want someone to go buy new paper just for me, and Santa paper can be super cute! I've also been given ornaments before - as I mentioned, I celebrate with my stepfamily at their house. So I have some Hanukkah Christmas tree ornaments - perfect! :)
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,509Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I've always called it a Secret Santa.
    People need to stop with the being offended about everything thing.
    I'm an atheist. I celebrate anything and everything. I don't have a tree but I would love ornaments. I would love ANYTHING my curly sent me. ANYTHING.
    Nothing that is sent to me as a thoughtful gift would ever offend me.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    I've always called it a Secret Santa.
    People need to stop with the being offended about everything thing.
    I'm an atheist. I celebrate anything and everything. I don't have a tree but I would love ornaments. I would love ANYTHING my curly sent me. ANYTHING.
    Nothing that is sent to me as a thoughtful gift would ever offend me.

No, people need to stop calling stuff by names that are for one group only. It's arrogant and presumptuous.

I'm an atheist. I don't have a tree (yet), but I plan to as soon as I have my own space, so ornaments are fine, as are Christmas cards.

Lard, what have I done?!
    "
    Shrug. I don't know why anyone cares what it's called. People can just go ahead being offended. It will never rub off on me, thank goodness.
    And I plan on sending my Secret Santa a whole box of Jesusy stuff. : )
  • spring1onuspring1onu Posts: 16,528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Kayb, it's all your fault!! We're arguing over a gift swap! :lol:

Seriously, it's something I've wondered about so I'm glad you brought it up. I'm not religious, but I celebrate Christmas. So, while I probably wouldn't use an ornament or decoration that was religious based, I'd appreciate the thought behind it and certainly wouldn't be offended that someone I barely know didn't have knowledge of every intimate detail of my spirituality.

I call it Secret Santa to everyone but Mr. Spring because I don't want to explain to the lady at the craft fair why I've just called it Secret Curly Swap. :lol: How weird would that sound to an outsider, I wonder. haha
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
    Btw Santa Claus and Frosty aren't in ANY bible Koran or whatever. So who cares if its on wrapping paper? Really?? Lot's more important stuff to worry about in this world. My curly will get our family Christmas card with my kids on it. Who could be offended by their smiles? :-)
    Santa Claus doesn't visit the average Jewish or Muslim kid, but, it's interesting to see the American Christian privilege default in action.

But the reason we are having a gift exchange in December IS because it is Christmastime. Whether a person believes in Jesus or Santa Claus or flying reindeer or not, without those traditions we wouldn't be having this thing at all.

And hey, I'm happy to be a part of it no matter what it's called.
    Christmas isn't the only December holiday.

Nobody is saying it's the only holiday in December. But it's the one where people exchange gifts which in turn is why we have this gift exchange.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file