CurlTalk

sandy + the election = ???

luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
what will happen if people impacted by sandy can't vote. will the elections be delayed? i heard someone say that ny doesn't have early voting. is that true? even if there is early voting people are trapped and worrying about survival NOT getting to the voting booth.

what will happen? will people be given the chance to vote or is it just whatever happens on nov 6th is it?
a dreamy pisces :fish:
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural

Comments

• SohoSoho Posts: 63Registered Users
    As much as I want the election to be over, they should push out election day so everyone has a chance to vote if they want to.
  • JohariJohari Posts: 673Registered Users
    I'm guessing they'll be like,"well the show must go on"...but hoping they can vote early or something that gives them extra time.

Was hurricane Irene 4yrs ago too,I don't remember since I don't have family or live in the east coast.Just hope people are okay.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
    well this is what the news outlets are saying about election day...
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    NY does not have early voting. I'm not sure about NJ. My concern is that NY is solidly Democratic because of downstate... where the storm damage has occurred. Upstate NY is much more conservative. There are a ton of Romney signs in my neck of the woods, and fewer Obama signs.
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    If they decide to postpone it, I wonder how they'd determine a date. Someone will cry "foul" no matter what they do.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    I highly doubt anyone will make concessions on Tuesday for 30% of the country. Their thinking is that if your polling place is still flooded or has no power by then, well, too bad. And as someone else stated, NY does not offer early voting. Even if it did, I doubt people would be taking advantage of it during this situation as survival take precedence.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users
    If they can move tax day out following a natural disaster, I'm not sure why they can't move voting day out. All the states affected by the hurricane are either blue or undecided--not a single red state in the bunch. That hardly seems fair to me.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    ^That's the thing. Republicans are doing everything remotely possible to block those from voting who they know will never vote for them. Hence why I'm not optimistic about them postponing election day.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    30% is a lot when it comes to elections

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
    juanab wrote: »
    Okay, this article doesn't say the same thing as the first CNN article that LML posted. The first article just said that congress needed to vote for it and it needed to be postponed in every state.

I still don't think it's fair and I think it sucks that the fact that these states are blue states makes it less likely voting day will change. Hopefully these communities can dig out and will remember that it was the republican lawmakers that prevented them from having a say in who is their president.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    juanab wrote: »
    Okay, this article doesn't say the same thing as the first CNN article that LML posted. The first article just said that congress needed to vote for it and it needed to be postponed in every state.

I still don't think it's fair and I think it sucks that the fact that these states are blue states makes it less likely voting day will change. Hopefully these communities can dig out and will remember that it was the republican lawmakers that prevented them from having a say in who is their president.

Agreed.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
    Well if they have to verify ID it might be even more difficult hopefully there can be a compromise because its not really a fair vote.
    Now I'm depressed. Seems Romney is going to win then... :evil:
    No only 2 states were effected right? Well I still have hope for a Obama's 2nd term....I can't vote yet but I still care(if only I was a month older)
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    I'm just now seeing some more of the damage from the storm. It's much worse than I thought. To all that survived safely I'm glad. I don't know what else to say. :(

It would definitely be fair for Election Day to be postponed but at the same time I'm sure politics is the last thing on people's minds right now. And for how long? While I think it's fair I just don't see it being feasible.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    I'm scared.

I was forced to watch faux news earlier and it made me nervous.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • anonymous_22139anonymous_22139 Posts: 659Registered Users
    The President wins on Electoral votes. Likely even with the impediments to voting in the Eastern coastal States that are predominantly Democrat, then those who actually can and do vote will still be predominantly Democrat.

What would change so that those States would swing Republican during this tragedy? Would more Republicans than Dems get out and vote during the tragedy? Why would that be?
    Kitschy wrote: »
    The President wins on Electoral votes. Likely even with the impediments to voting in the Eastern coastal States that are predominantly Democrat, then those who actually can and do vote will still be predominantly Democrat.

What would change so that those States would swing Republican during this tragedy? Would more Republicans than Dems get out and vote during the tragedy? Why would that be?

see cosmicfly's post #5. What if the areas hardest hit are the more democratic areas while those not hit are more republican. It can change the state from blue to red

they're saying under 6 million are without power across a few states. even those with power may not be able to convenienty vote due to transportation (i.e. lots of cars flooded, subway systems not working, limited public transportation), etc.

i'm guessing that as mrspoppers said, if the voters that can't vote now are mostly blue that could change the way the electoral college is votes BUT the only saving grace is that none of the states impacted are swing states i don't think. so unless the electoral college goes renegade in this instance things should work out. now if this had happened in ohio, florida or colorado, the states that could decide the election then it would be much more concerning.

i do think there are some fundamental issues with the fact that people in the impacted states might not get a chance to vote. people want to opportunity to say they had a chance to vote. in recent elections voter turnout has been its highest ever. to simply say the voting window and election day can't be changed even with a major natural disaster just doesn't seem right. i understand rules and guidelines but we have to have flexibility so people don't feel disenfranchased and silenced in the process.
    scrills wrote: »

see cosmicfly's post #5. What if the areas hardest hit are the more democratic areas while those not hit are more republican. It can change the state from blue to red
    Yes, this. I was thinking about what cosmicfly said and then thinking about my own state. Washington is a blue state but only because my county is heavily liberal. Like it or not, we decide statewide elections here. If something devastated this county, all elections here would swing right. WA don't have very many electoral votes so the presidential election would be a non-issue. However, in a state like NY, swinging right could make the difference between Romney and Obama.

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users
    I feel like it's super unfair. I don't even like Romney but even if the states affected were predominantly republican I'd feel the same way. I understand this isn't something people without power, homes, or anything else are worried about...now. But it's sad that millions of people have to deal with the aftermath of a severe storm and can't make it out to vote because of circumstances outside their control.
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
    They just said on CNN that swing states are affected. Virginia and Ohio at least. :(
    ^^^ damn. i can't wait to get home and watch the news about this.
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    This article kind of explains NY politics. Upstate is not solidly red, but outside of urban areas, it's not as Democractic as the NYC area.

New York: Not As Blue As It Could Be
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users
    Soho wrote: »
    They just said on CNN that swing states are affected. Virginia and Ohio at least. :(

Oooh affected how? I live in VA and I haven't heard about this so I'm reeeal curious.
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I'm so anxious. Many of the polling locations in my county still have no electricity. Some will run on generators and the others will be consolidated.

With the gas shortage, will people make it to the polls? Will they want to go the extra mile to vote?

I'm really worried.
    Here was the line yesterday at the board of elections in Cleveland. So i know most. Of NE Ohio is ok

Here was the line yesterday at the board of elections in Cleveland. So i know most. Of NE Ohio is ok

Oh, my lord; they're lucky people still want to vote! I'd look at that line and consider going home if I was elderly, a bit under the weather or had kids.

I thought just my county is vote-by-mail only but I guess it's the whole state of Washington. There are only 5 in-person polling facilities in the entire state.

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    mrspoppers wrote: »

Oh, my lord; they're lucky people still want to vote! I'd look at that line and consider going home if I was elderly, a bit under the weather or had kids.

I thought just my county is vote-by-mail only but I guess it's the whole state of Washington. There are only 5 in-person polling facilities in the entire state.

Prior to Sandy, the kids had election day off. I was trying to figure out a way to go without 4 kids in tow. Now they all have school. I have 2.5 hours of free time to vote. icon14.gif