CurlTalk

The more water I leave in, the better and softer curl formation

So I've been experimenting with curly girl for several months with so-so results. My hair is wavy and fine. I was using a microfiber towel to scrunch my hair after I had put in product. But I decided to experiment yesterday and just wring it dry with my hands after I had scrunched some. After about 10 minutes, I scrunched softly with the microfiber towel just enough to make it not dripping wet. My waves/curls were softer and better formed.

Today I decided to dry it with a pillow case instead of a towel. Today I have soft curls as well.

I was scared the weight of the water would pull my hair down and make it flat, but that has not been the case. After my hair drys, I can scrunch some or rewet and get some volume. My hair is rather long too, past my shoulders.

I also want to get some clips to put in for my top.

Has anyone else discovered that leaving more water works better than less water?

Comments

• Knotty_MaddyKnotty_Maddy Posts: 518Registered Users
    My hair likes water, too :) I have been getting great results with the SuperSoaker method that Rudeechick posted...but I soak twice - once after my LI/curl spray and Denman brushing, then again after putting my curl products in - and then I go directly into a soaking wet plop for 5 mins, just to get the worst of the water out. After removing the plop, I gently scrunch a bit with a cotton t-shirt. Works great! :D

ETA if you have fine hair, please go careful with the clips! I tried that method and it did give me great root lift, but I kept tangling and breaking hair when I tried to remove them after...so I had to stop with the duckbill clips :( I am thinking of trying with jaw clips to see if they are easier to remove...
    Finer, mixed with coarser strands, low-porosity, wavy curly whirly hair...3A, 2C hair. Medium thickness, medium elasticity.
    S-shaped hair with corkscrew ends. My hair is even more confused than me ;p
    My hair officially hates protein ;) Once a month is enough!
    Currently a fan of TiGi products, (rock on, TiGi Curlesque styling creme!) but that will soon change - I am a self-avowed product junkie! Yay! :D
    BIG fan of supersoaker method - thanks Rudeechick!
  • EricachristinaEricachristina Posts: 496Registered Users
    My hair likes water, too :) I have been getting great results with the SuperSoaker method that Rudeechick posted...but I soak twice - once after my LI/curl spray and Denman brushing, then again after putting my curl products in - and then I go directly into a soaking wet plop for 5 mins, just to get the worst of the water out. After removing the plop, I gently scrunch a bit with a cotton t-shirt. Works great! :D

ETA if you have fine hair, please go careful with the clips! I tried that method and it did give me great root lift, but I kept tangling and breaking hair when I tried to remove them after...so I had to stop with the duckbill clips :( I am thinking of trying with jaw clips to see if they are easier to remove...

Never heard about the SuperSoaker method..learned something new today J
  • Knotty_MaddyKnotty_Maddy Posts: 518Registered Users

Never heard about the SuperSoaker method..learned something new today J

Did you go see Rudeec's video for it? I found it in the helpful method links stickie on the newbie's page :) (ETA it's on this forum's page too, lol! I just saw it...) works awesomely well for me and really helped me to reduce my frizz! :D
    Finer, mixed with coarser strands, low-porosity, wavy curly whirly hair...3A, 2C hair. Medium thickness, medium elasticity.
    S-shaped hair with corkscrew ends. My hair is even more confused than me ;p
    My hair officially hates protein ;) Once a month is enough!
    Currently a fan of TiGi products, (rock on, TiGi Curlesque styling creme!) but that will soon change - I am a self-avowed product junkie! Yay! :D
    BIG fan of supersoaker method - thanks Rudeechick!
  • CurlyJulie81CurlyJulie81 Posts: 110Registered Users
    This does work well for me. I apply my leave-in while I'm still in the shower, and if I see any curls that aren't forming too well, I run my hands through the shower stream, and then over that curl. Works like a charm. :)
    3a/b fine, high porosity, medium density. Mod- CG

Sulfate-free Shampoo: SheaMoisture Curl and Shine shampoo with Epsom salts.
    Co-wash: TRESemme Naturals,
    Leave in: TN Radiant volume, KCKT, YTC pampering conditioner
    Summer styler: LA Looks Spiked Gel(summer only)
    Seal: Argan Oil/Macademia Oil
    Winter styler: KCCC, AIF, Beyond the Zone Noodlehead curling creme(not CG)
    DT: GVPCB, coconut oil
    PT: GVP Hair Reconstructor
    osWchwy.jpg?1Embracing my curls.:love7: