CurlTalk

Come in if you use Curl Keeper

Question ladies - what exactly is curl keeper? Is it a leave in? A styler? I'm so confused on how to use it (granted it just came in the mail today and I can't wait to shower tomorrow!).

I use Tresemme naturals as my RO and leave in. Should I still use it as a leave in or use curl keeper instead? Do I need something over curl keeper.

Really interested to know how you use it :)

Comments

• prentonneprentonne Posts: 163Registered Users
    I use it as my finisher. Either over my gel or under it. Or over my leave it. It cuts frizz and gives me shine. I usually use a glycerin free leave in though since curl keeper has glycerin

Sent from my GT-P1000N using CurlTalk App
  • CurlsnswirlsCurlsnswirls Posts: 865Registered Users
    I use it as a styler. I leave conditioner in as a leave-in...smother my hair in Curlkeeper and scrunch, scrunch, scrunch. I air dry about 10 minutes and then diffuse. That's why i LOVE it, it's so easy and leaves my hair feeling and looking awesome. Some do use it on top of, or under other products, everyone is different. Some find they need gel on top...some use it as a finisher. I tried all different combos at first and decided to try it on its own, best thing I ever did. HTH. :)
  • guthak01guthak01 Posts: 188Registered Users
    I use it over a leave in and under a gel if I want lots of hold, but if I am going for a more voluminous look, I use curl keeper over a leave in. It keeps frizz away, but does not weigh my hair down.

P.S. the smell is interesting, but once it is in your hair it goes away.
    3a/3b, Low porosity, Medium Density
    Low-poo: Shea Moisture Moisture Retention
    RO: Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Aussie Instant Freeze or LALSG
  • CurlyMJCurlyMJ Posts: 193Registered Users
    Thanks ladies - I love LOVE big hair so will try curl keeper over just a leave in and see how it works. I'm so excited to shower!!! :)
  • bookgirlbookgirl Posts: 128Registered Users
    I used CK for the first time today and so far am impressed. I used it over a leave-in conditioner, with/nothing else, and my waves/curls looked and felt full and bouncy but not puffy. (I have fine, dense, porous hair, so puffiness is my main difficulty). I didn't even have to scrunch...I just combed it through my wet hair with a wide-tooth comb, and as my hair air-dried, my waves sprang to where they naturally go. No weighed-down, sticky, or greasy feeling. I can actually lightly run my fingers through my hair if I want to.

As far as I can tell from the ingredients list, it is essentially a liquid gel. The dew point was optimal where I live today, so I don't know if I'll be able to use it without other stylers if the weather is very humid or very dry, but for now, it's awesome.
    2c, fine, extremely dense, color-treated, high porosity.

CG since 10/12
  • dianemary126dianemary126 Posts: 184Registered Users
    this is one of my favorite products! it significantly cuts frizz for me. i use it after a leave in and before my gel & oil sealer. holy grail product for sure
    Diane
    NYC/NJ
    2c/3a..fine/regular texture..normal porosity..low elasticity..high density..cherub curls

MONAT all natural hair products are the absolute BEST
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dianemary.mymonat.com" class="Popup

goals: grow out bad breakage cut and artificial hair color1
    last softener: Sept 2010
    last color: 2.14.15
    last cut/trim: 4.7.15

blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fdianemarybeauty.blogspot.com" class="Popup
  • kurlygurlykurlygurly Posts: 644Registered Users
    I use it over my conditioner and under a styler. I don't necessarily need this product though....especially after finding Aubrey Organics Mandarin magic....so I probably won't be repurchasing it.

Hmm, maybe if I use it under a styling cream I'll like it more.

Sent from my Droid Razr using CurlTalk App
    3B Live Curly Live Free Analysis: Texture = Medium Porosity = Normal Elasticity = Normal
    3b-ish... normal to low porosity....med. texture
    Wash: Desert Essence Coconut shampoo, Acure argon shampoo
    Deep Trestment: Nature's Nectars deep conditioner/styler
    Condition: Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Nature's Gate pomegranate sunflower
    LEAVE-IN:Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Natures Gate pomegranate sunflower
    STYLE: Nature's Nectars Sweet Shea butter blend, Ecostyler gel
    hemp oil, jojoba oil
    www.naturesnectars.net
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,470Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    I just use it as a styler. Sometimes mixed with another styler, sometimes on its own.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • l.deonl.deon Posts: 235Registered Users
    I used it today on top of my leave-in and under my gel. I had the BEST hair day I have had in a long time!
    3B Mod CG
    Medium texture/ Normal to low porosity / High density

Current Routine:

Shampoo- GTTT, GVP Paul Mitchell Tea tree Shampoo or ACV/ Baking soda (once a week)
    Co wash- Trader Joes Nourish Spa
    Leave in- Shea Moisture Shea Butter leave- in, Elucence
    Gel- BRHG

Holy grail combo Feb 2013: ISO Bouncy Creme with BRHG on top! :blob3:
  • bookgirlbookgirl Posts: 128Registered Users
    I used this for the second time yesterday and my hair was amazing! The one thing that had me on the fence about going full-on curly girl was giving up the use of silicone serums (even though they built up on my hair and always stopped working after a while). CK does what those serums do and more - get rid of frizz and makes every strand look and feel smooth and shiny.
    2c, fine, extremely dense, color-treated, high porosity.

CG since 10/12
    Glad to hear its working for you, I LOVE CHS Curlkeeper!!! I love to try out new products but I always come back to curlkeeper!
    Do any if you use Curls in a Bottle? I seem to like CIAB more. It fights frizz better on my hair....anyone else?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    hemp oil, jojoba oil
    www.naturesnectars.net
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    Kurly, I use CIAB when the dews are high. It definitely fights frizz really well, so well that when the dews are low it makes my hair too flat.

I think I got a sample of CK somewhere and never tried it. I'll have to poke through my stash. I'd like to do a comparison.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    kurlygurly wrote: »
    Do any if you use Curls in a Bottle? I seem to like CIAB more. It fights frizz better on my hair....anyone else?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

CIAB was difficult for me to figure out. I didn't like that if I used too much, I'd end up with little flakes :(. This has never happened with CK. I've never been able to "over do" it with CK. I always get great hair with this product. I've tried and tried using CIAB many different ways but it's just not for me. I'm really surprised that CK works as well as it does for me being that the dews where I live are pretty low on average.
  • greencup13greencup13 Posts: 596Registered Users
    Does anyone use personal lubricant for the CK? Watched a video on YouTube of waterlilly716 doing a review and was curious. I got a sample of CK a couple days ago and love it but not the price
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Combo Low and High porosity
    Medium coarse texture

Goosefootprints hair analysis
    Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
    RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
    LI- As I Am leave in,
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Style- la looks sport gel
  • yossarianyossarian Posts: 967Registered Users
    CIAB was difficult for me to figure out. I didn't like that if I used too much, I'd end up with little flakes :(. This has never happened with CK. I've never been able to "over do" it with CK. I always get great hair with this product. I've tried and tried using CIAB many different ways but it's just not for me. I'm really surprised that CK works as well as it does for me being that the dews where I live are pretty low on average.

I thought I was the only one! I tried CIAB without success and eventually put it on the swap board. Since it seems to be an HG for curlies of all types, I picked it up again and tried it with every conceivable combination of other products, only to experience the same disappointing results. So back onto the swap board it went for good :sad:

Curlypearl, I did the same thing: picked up Curl Keeper in a swap and never got around to trying it! I have so many other stylers, and many of them are perishable natural products, whereas CK seems to have a longer shelf life. This thread prompted me to pull it out this morning, and thus far I'm quite pleased. I'll have to see how it holds up over time, but it's already outperformed CIAB for me.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
  • Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
    greencup13 wrote: »
    Does anyone use personal lubricant for the CK? Watched a video on YouTube of waterlilly716 doing a review and was curious. I got a sample of CK a couple days ago and love it but not the price

I sometimes use KY with good results, but it's primary ingredient is glycerin, so it only really works well for me in optimal dews. I read someone mixes a lot of oil with it and that counters the glycerin - might be worth a shot.

My hair tolerates glycerin well, but in low dews I have to cut back on it.
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
    Yossarian, I was prompted by you looking for your sample, so I searched and found mine too! I'll be trying it. I have so many things to try - new combos, new ways of using old familiar products, underneath, on top, mixed, etc. :toothy8:
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    This is my HG product. I have 3C curls and they really look defined and totally frizz free when I use CK. I use it over a bit of KCKT and then use FOTE AV gel.

I highly recommend this product.
  • SpiralSpunkSpiralSpunk Posts: 243Registered Users
    Does Curl Keeper typically work in the winter?
  • lag28walag28wa Posts: 34Registered Users
    I think I am the only one that Curl Keeper didn't work that great for? Maybe I am not using it correctly?

I used to use Biosilk serum prior to going CG and I would put it on underneath everything else, under my gel. I wasn't using a leave-in at the time, so when I tried CK I put it over my leave in and under my gel.

I didn't really notice anything good or bad with it. I have also tried it as a finisher on mostly dry hair and to SOTC.

How much do you use? I only used about a nickel sized amount. My hair is thin and fine, prone to frizz and flyaway so I can't imagine using CK alone without something with more hold.

I need to give it another go.
    Lindsay, a curly Mommy with a curly little man

Fine texture, fine density, normal to high porosity(?)

Modified CG since April 2012

Wash: DevaCurl Low Poo or SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl and Shine Shampoo
    COwash/RO: CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing, CJ Daily Fix Cleansing Condish, Shea Moisture Restorative
    LI: KCKT
    Style: KCCC, CJ Pattern Pusha, DevaCare Arc AnGEL, Loreal EverStyle Styling Spray
  • CurlyMJCurlyMJ Posts: 193Registered Users
    Because its so watery, you'd definitely need to use more than a nickel size. My hair is really long so I need about half a palm full. I don't like it much because I LOVE big hair and using CK takes away all my frizz so I don't get big hair :/
  • CurlyJulie81CurlyJulie81 Posts: 110Registered Users

I have never used CK, only personal lubricant. I prefer the liquid kind to the jelly style... and it works incredibly well for me. :) No complaints!
    3a/b fine, high porosity, medium density. Mod- CG

Sulfate-free Shampoo: SheaMoisture Curl and Shine shampoo with Epsom salts.
    Co-wash: TRESemme Naturals,
    Leave in: TN Radiant volume, KCKT, YTC pampering conditioner
    Summer styler: LA Looks Spiked Gel(summer only)
    Seal: Argan Oil/Macademia Oil
    Winter styler: KCCC, AIF, Beyond the Zone Noodlehead curling creme(not CG)
    DT: GVPCB, coconut oil
    PT: GVP Hair Reconstructor
    osWchwy.jpg?1Embracing my curls.:love7:
  • Cristy_amkCristy_amk Posts: 171Registered Users
    Gotta jump on the CK bandwagon. I've been using it for about a week and am amazed and what it does for my hair. Removes the frizz, gives me some definition, and best of all I can run my fingers through my dry curls and not create more volume. It doesn't build up in my hair so I haven't gotten that dreaded matted up curl look. I also can't get over how I can reactivate it by simply spraying in water. I always had to reapply product in the past to reactivate curl definition. I hope they never change the formula on this.
  • Knotty_MaddyKnotty_Maddy Posts: 518Registered Users

Yup, I do :) I have seen others here say they mix it with an equal amount of water in a bottle, shake, and apply a good four dollops. I use KY gel and emulsify with water and apply after my LI - awesome curls, every time!
    Finer, mixed with coarser strands, low-porosity, wavy curly whirly hair...3A, 2C hair. Medium thickness, medium elasticity.
    S-shaped hair with corkscrew ends. My hair is even more confused than me ;p
    My hair officially hates protein ;) Once a month is enough!
    Currently a fan of TiGi products, (rock on, TiGi Curlesque styling creme!) but that will soon change - I am a self-avowed product junkie! Yay! :D
    BIG fan of supersoaker method - thanks Rudeechick!
  • Cristy_amkCristy_amk Posts: 171Registered Users
    I did want to throw in their I tried using the Curl Keeper Skip Curl Technique and it was an epic FAIL for me! LOL! It just seemed to pull the curl out of my hair. Think I have too loose of a curl pattern for it. I plan on going back to scrunching the product in to encourage curl formation and then plop. I'm very intrigued about using KY instead of CK. I'm about 1/2 way through my bottle already and only had it for a couple of weeks now.
    I tried it and I totally, totally LOVE it. :cheers: OMG, I love it more than Deva Foam, Kinky Curly, and the six hundred other products in my stash (groan). I got this as a sample and I'll have to buy it now.

The thing is, I followed this great video on Youtube by Veronica Meza which is somewhere on nc.com. I have to find that and thank whoever posted it. So my success is mostly the CK, but the video (she uses CK) was also helpful.

There are a lot of videos of curlies using CK with AG: Recoil Curl Activator. If CK on its own or water activated doesn't give me that elusive 2nd day hair, I'll try that combo. YEA to this thread.!! :blob4:
    curlypearl wrote: »
    I tried it and I totally, totally LOVE it. :cheers: OMG, I love it more than Deva Foam, Kinky Curly, and the six hundred other products in my stash (groan). I got this as a sample and I'll have to buy it now.

The thing is, I followed this great video on Youtube by Veronica Meza which is somewhere on nc.com. I have to find that and thank whoever posted it. So my success is mostly the CK, but the video (she uses CK) was also helpful.

There are a lot of videos of curlies using CK with AG: Recoil Curl Activator. If CK on its own or water activated doesn't give me that elusive 2nd day hair, I'll try that combo. YEA to this thread.!! :blob4:

:thumbup: yay! I love Curlkeeper. Let us know how second day hair works out for you. I do find that if I use just a dab (about a dime size) of a strong hold gel (like joigel) on top of CK, it helps me achieve better second day hair. I still get good day hair with just curlkeeper though.
    Today I used curl keeper then sealed with jojoba....so far soooo good

Sent from my Droid Razr using CurlTalk App
    3B Live Curly Live Free Analysis: Texture = Medium Porosity = Normal Elasticity = Normal
    hemp oil, jojoba oil
    www.naturesnectars.net
  • IamDonnaIamDonna Posts: 546Registered Users
    I've been using CK for about 4 yrs now. It keeps my hair frizz free in any weather. We don't get winter here in SE Florida so I don't know what would happen in freezing COLD weather.

It's the BEST! Actually afraid not to use it.

I get 3 days of pretty good hair from using:

1. Just about any leave in KBB nectar (favorite) CJ 2nd.
    2. CK a good amt
    3. CIAB
    4. BRHG

At night pinapple in AM spray with water with a little KBB nectar in it.

Good to go! So easy!
    :love1:3a Long (waist) thick med course dry thirsty
    Poo: Eulence moisture
    Co-wash: GVP CB
    Condish: GVP CB
    LI: KBB nectar
    Styler: CK CIAB
    Gel: BRHG
    DT: Curl Junkie
    Diffuse 70% dry
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FIamDonna%2F" class="Popup

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fhotimg23.fotki.com%2Fp%2Fa%2F70_149%2F75_144%2FDSCN0395-vi573.jpg" class="Popup
    NEW PICS