CurlTalk

Single people with married friends...

CurlswirlCurlswirl Posts: 526Registered Users
Do you mind going out with a couple as a single person? It makes me uncomfortable to be a a third wheel. I had a friend who used to hang out with me almost every weekend until he met someone and now he said he will only spend time with me if his wife is with him.
It is not that she doesn't trust him with me but that they both seem to need to be together all the time.

Comments

• Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    Not when the couple is made up of two independent, respectful people. I think when out with a couple it should barely be obvious that they're a couple...it should be like you're just out with two friends. They shouldn't be engaging in PDA, or sharing inside conversations, or excluding you--they can do that when they get home.

If the couple is rude and has their own self esteem and jealousy issues, I wouldn't go out with them alone. Then again, I wouldn't be friends with them in the first place!
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • CurlswirlCurlswirl Posts: 526Registered Users
    Who me-- they are dependent types into pda. I really don't think it is going to work out:(
  • jmartinezjmartinez Posts: 126Registered Users
    Im married and i have single friends, well they have boyfriends. But when we all go out, its a group thing and we all engage in conversation. We may sneak kisses but only when they are like hugging or kissing their boy friends or fiances.

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    I like going out with my bff and her husband. They're funny, and I can be their weird friend. If there was pda or inside jokes I wouldn't do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    My best friend is single and I'm married. We hang out together with my husband a lot, and we also have girl days sans husband.

I was single from 35 to 38 and I hung out with my married friends - it didn't bother me at all. As someone else said, when the couple act like adults and aren't making you feel like a third wheel with overwrought displays of PDA, it's fine.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    Like a couple of other people have said, it depends on the couple. I don't have close friends who are married, just acquaintances. I do have some single friends with boyfriends but either way, I've never been uncomfortable being around any of them as they don't do a lot of PDA or ignore me.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    Curlswirl wrote: »
    Who me-- they are dependent types into pda. I really don't think it is going to work out:(

Have you called them on it? "Sorry I'm
    Interrupting, did you guys want some alone time? We can easily reschedule." Or "oh, wow, looks like I'm intruding! I'll step out for a minute until you guys are ready for company, or you can call me tomorrow...what works for you?"
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    Yeah, I think Who Me? said it well! I'm friends with a married couple and we hang out all the time... Actually, we mostly started hanging out when I was dating my ex... But since I became good friends with both of them individually, the three of us can spend time together and it's totally not awkward at all!

Plus, they know I'd make fun of them if they ever went all PDA-y on each other when we're hanging out! I'm a really easy person to hang out with. ;)

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users
    I go out with my best friend and her husband all the time. In fact, her husband is one of my best friends, too. They've been married for something like 10 years now and I've never been married. I have no problem going out with them. They're totally awesome to go out with and though they aren't terribly into PDA, it doesn't make me uncomfortable if they hug or kiss. They're my best friends and I like to go out and do things with them. We have a lot of the same things in common and there is never a lull in conversation.

Other friends who are more co-dependent? Not so much. It really depends on the dynamic of the couple.