CurlTalk

Auditioning for a Jazz Ensemble Choir?

ElizabethFaithElizabethFaith Posts: 429Registered Users
Hi, everyone! I'm auditioning for a jazz choir this week, and have to sing two pre-selected pieces, and one of my choice. The problem is that I am an Alto and it's kind of hard finding that perfect song. I have narrowed it down to two: "Sweet Love" by Anita Baker, and "Jar of Hearts" by Christina Perri. I really want to show off how well I can sing. My range is from A below middle C, to the F or G two octaves above middle C. Any tips?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly and PROUD!!!

My hair has a mix of low/med/high porosity, and it's medium textured (some are still fine, though!)

CG since Sept. 2011
Cowash: Vo5/Suave Naturals/Tresemme Naturals*
RO/LI: GVPCB*, Tresemme Naturals*
Low-poo: Shea Moisture Moisture Retention
Stylers: KCKT*, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Honey*

* represents my HGs!!! Finally!!!

Comments

• AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Lots of jazz singers have alto voices (Sarah Vaughan stands out in my mind) and you have a pretty good range, so you shouldn't have a problem finding anything to sing.

My tips are: have fun, pick something you're comfortable with, know it well enough to sing with feeling, pay attention to the rhythm and pitches, don't be "stiff" or afraid to move a little bit, smile. I would pick something that is a contrast to the other two pieces (are they on the faster side? Pick something slow. Are they traditional? Pick something contemporary) and that shows your personality.

Break a leg!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    Good luck!

I wouldn't sing "Jar of Hearts". It won't show a good range. I'll list songs tomorrow that I used. I love singing.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders