CurlTalk

Need help with reducing volume and puffiness

Is there some kind of technique or product I can use to reduce the volume of my very fine and dense hair? It's also pretty porous and dry. I hate looking like I have 80s hair.
2c, fine, extremely dense, color-treated, high porosity.

CG since 10/12

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    You probably need protein! I do at least one PT a week and use a lot of products with protein. It helps tighten curl and reduce frizz.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bookgirlbookgirl Posts: 128Registered Users
    This may be a stupid question, but how do I tell if a product has protein? I currently have three products I plan to use as DTs at some point (Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Smoothie, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab, and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Conditioner).
    2c, fine, extremely dense, color-treated, high porosity.

CG since 10/12
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    Perfectly legitimate (not stupid) question. Products containing protein will say protein in the ingredients - either just as protein, as hydrolized protein, as amino acids, and possibly other things (I'm not sure if panthenol is protein).

Among those you mentioned, I use Curl Junkie Curl Rehab. It doesn't have protein. It's great for moisturizing.

Not sure about the other two, so you will want to check the labels. :salut: Also, if they are listed in the products section of this website, I think each product states whether it has protein. Good luck with this!

ETA: Since you are using Curl Junkie products (I think they are great) you might want to use their Repair Me if you are looking for a protein boost. Be sure to follow it with more moisture. Even though the Repair Me is unique because it is protein and moisture, I always think it's a good idea to follow protein with moisture. The Curl Rehab that you have would be excellent for that.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • ElizabethFaithElizabethFaith Posts: 429Registered Users
    Perfect explanation, Curlypearl! I just wanted to add that I think panthenol is an emollient.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly and PROUD!!!

My hair has a mix of low/med/high porosity, and it's medium textured (some are still fine, though!)

CG since Sept. 2011
    Cowash: Vo5/Suave Naturals/Tresemme Naturals*
    RO/LI: GVPCB*, Tresemme Naturals*
    Low-poo: Shea Moisture Moisture Retention
    Stylers: KCKT*, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Honey*

* represents my HGs!!! Finally!!!