CurlTalk

Pixie grow out pics

SkyDivaMeganSkyDivaMegan Posts: 32Registered Users
Hear are some pics of my growing out journey thus far. I like to look back to remind myself that my hair IS actually growing. I'm at a really awkward length now but my hairdresser (Deva certified) says its almost past the awkwardness into fabulousness and it'll be smooth sailing from then on out. For now I'm rocking the headbands and staying patient!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350062168.694696.jpg
Start (non CG with flat iron daily)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350062195.386081.jpg
Several months growth (no flat iron)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350062251.165089.jpg
A few more months growth (flat iron on bangs only)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350062275.703724.jpg
One year (after CG for a few months)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Avg. dew point: crazy low
3a/3b mix/medium porosity/medium density/coarse-ish texture with permanent color
*currently growing out a super short pixie*

2x weekly wash: Quidad Curl Quench
2x weekly condish: Quidad Curl Quench
DT: Quidad 12 Minute Deep Treatment
Style: Quidad Hydrafusion Curl Cream
2nd/3rd day refresh: Quidad Botanical Boost spray
Best trick ever: Flour sack towel for scrunching after product application.

Comments

• romigjamromigjam Posts: 219Registered Users
    I am going through the same thing right now! I stopped cutting my pixie in May and it's all around chin length now. I did cut off my mullet though so it would be longer if I handled the party in the back :pukel:
    2bc3a
    CG since December '09
    loo-poo: Kiss My Face Everywhere Shampoo
    cowash: Suave Naturals, CJ DF
    rinse out: TN
    leave-in: CJHBLI, CJSL, SMRC
    stylers: (rotating) CJAF, CCCC, SMCS, Ecostyler, KMFUM
    DT: CJCR
    PT:CJRM

love oils, avocado and castor oil are my favorite

Iherb discount code TSW857
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been trying to grow out my pixie for 2 years! It takes so long! Especially since I'm always trimming to try to avoid the awkwardness.

Skydiva - your pics #2 and #3 are so cute! I love your color!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PinupdollrawrPinupdollrawr Posts: 16Registered Users
    Your hair is so adorable and is growing out beautifully. Mine is short and kind of fro ish. I wish I could a pixie cut off
  • KellyBKellyB Posts: 68Registered Users
    jezzz!! I hope mine grow out fast.

Iroc, if you always cut it to avoid awkward phase you will never grow it to get wher you want.

Texture: Coarse / Porosity: High / Elasticity: Low / Curl pattern: 3b - 3c
    BC and CG since Sept.15.2012
    I like Tresemmé Naturals, Knot-today, Kinky Curly Curling Custard[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
  • UP LisaUP Lisa Posts: 98Registered Users
    Time and patience. I started from a Pixie.
    2b. Dark Golden Blond. Very fine texture. Medium thickness. Thrilled to find waves!!!
  • SkyDivaMeganSkyDivaMegan Posts: 32Registered Users
    Here is my most recent grow out pic. This is day 3 hair so it's straighter. I use clips at the bottom to weigh it down while it air drys. It makes it seem longer while its growing :) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352576639.273051.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/3b mix/medium porosity/medium density/coarse-ish texture with permanent color

January grow out pic! Cleansed and styled with only Deva Curl products. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359222780.689563.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• DoodlesDoodles Posts: 1,984Registered Users
    I'm currently growing my hair out from a pixie. I think the most frustrating part for me is growing the short layers out. I'm seeing progress but I'm so limited with what I can do with it that I'm getting bored! I'm always on the look out for distractions (hair accessories, products, etc) to attempt to keep it interesting. I'm seeing the start of my waves but since there are so many different layers in there, they end up just sticking out. I try not to dwell on it too much...it's just hair! In the meantime, I guess I'll just enjoy hubby being able to play with my hair while he still can.
    2A/2B, fine, normal porosity

Growing out a pixie as of November 2013 :elephant:

Shampoo: Elucence MBS & Renpure Originals Argan Oil
    Conditioner: Elucence MBC & Renpure Originals Argan Oil
    Leave-in: CJ BeautiCurls
    Stylers: BA gel & AG Re:coil

Product Junkie that keeps falling off the wagon!:tongue3:
    I wore headbands with flowers or bows on them every single day for at least six months during this time. So much so that people at the hospital where I work still know me as "the nurse with the flower". It became my signature. I'd put a headband in and let the rest go wild and stick out. If not for headbands I'm sure I would've cut it off again. I'm just now growing past the hideously awkward earlobe to chin phase of curly hair. A good Deva trained stylist has helped ease some of the pain of particularly bad times with some light shaping every so often. He says I'm about 3-4 months away from smooth sailing to long hair. I sure hope so. You should post pics every month or two to allow you to look back on your progress. It helps a LOT! Good luck to you on your hair journey!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• want2bcurlywant2bcurly Posts: 97Registered Users
    that is what saves me and prevents me from recutting. i have lots of scarves and just use one every day.i even get lots of compliments. as for sticking out pieces which i get this helps; put in gel, lots of it. diffuse. it "bends the pieces" down so they just look kind of curly.ive grown about an inch in 5 weeks so i figure by the end of march ill be able to mabie ditch the scarves.::)
  • PolystyrenePolystyrene Posts: 4Registered Users
    Your hair is so cute! I'm in month three after having chopped my hair into a really short pixie. I'm having a difficult time figuring out what to do with my hair at this point.
    At that point for me I would gel it and let it air dry because that made it "smaller". This is when I started with headbands, scarves, flowers, and parting it different ways. I also visited my stylist regularly to get weight and bulk taken out of certain areas to keep it more balanced and less like a wild animal clawing at my head.

Check this out if you haven't seen it:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hairfinder.com%2Ftechniques%2Fstyling-curly-hair.htm" class="Popup

Can't tell you how many times I've brought this to my stylist.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• curleeangelcurleeangel Posts: 53Registered Users
    Oh, you ladies are in my boat! I've kept my hair in a variety of pixie cuts since 2011. I decided in October to grow it out and stop fighting my natural waviness. Started researching and began using cg method in December. I co-wash most days because I run. My hair is in that really awkward stage where the sides don't quite meet the length in back. I've been trimming it out myself regularly since it was an assymetrical cut to begin with. I'm glad to see your pics, it helps seeing someone else growing their hair out gracefully. I feel like I'm almost back to an actual hairstyle and not obviously in the growing out stage!

Sent from my MB860 using CurlTalk App
    2b/c low porosity, coarse, high density and protein sensitive.
    This is where I started growing out in October.

Yep! You're growing out very nicely! I went through multiple "this looks like an actual haircut" stages followed by several "this looks like the mad hatter" stages. The stage your at right now was one of my best and longest lasting "this looks like an actual haircut" stages. I rocked that 20's style vintage flapper bob for all it was worth! I got compliments every single day. The stage right after that was by far the hardest and most awkward. Dear GOD did I have layers that fought with me! After a solid six months of headbands every single day, after my last shape up trim, I'm finally starting to settle into more of a bob and less of a mass as you can see in the pic. I often stretch my 3b into a 2c to keep it under control at this length which is what I did here.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360782848.317795.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think I'm more of a 2b or maybe c. It's hard to tell because it's so short and I've been abusing it for too long. I'm hoping that by doing the cg method for a while it will encourage more curl as it gets longer.

It will. My hair got way curlier after following CG and growing it for a while. If I gel it and diffuse it I get a head full of 3b ringlets. If I rake it with gel and air dry it, I can make it 2b for a day. Pretty neat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

March grow out pic. Looks like we have finally achieved what can actually be called a bob.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362519611.968625.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cute! I got a haircut today. I'm even all the way around.

WooHoo! Even all the way around is a great milestone! You're looking great!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

curleeangel and skydivamegan your hair looks amazing. i hope i can get to that point. (without cutting it off)! i still have a long way to go. my hair started sooo short. mabie an inch of hair and some places 1/2 inch. it was a very short pixie. it is taking forever. how long did it take for u to get to this point. ive been growing 8 weeks.
    You can do it want2bcurly! Mine was only about an inch long back in October except for the long pieces in the front. Just try to be patient and experiment with bobby pins and headbands. Good luck, I'm cheering for you.to have long, luscious curls!

• OhSunshinex3OhSunshinex3 Posts: 74Registered Users
    I'm growing my hair out from having a shaved head. It's probably been about seven months but I'm not really sure. It's hard to style so I'm hoping that it grows fast. I just want it long enough to do some updos because I feel like my hairstyles don't match my age and I feel awkward. :/ But I love my curls now and I can't wait until my hair is longer and I can try different things with it and I've been trying the Curly Girl Method but it hasn't been long enough for me to judge whether it has made a difference or not but I'm really excited and at this point, I'm obsessed with my hair and taking care of it. But yeah, I guess patience is key. I just have to remind myself about that sometimes.

• AlexaAlexa Posts: 208Registered Users
    Another curly growing out a pixie cut here!
    I first had it cut about 18 months ago & loved it for about a year but then decided to let it grow a bit longer over the winter, I was doing well but then thought I'd just go for a bit of a re-shape back in February & ended up with some really short layers on top so I have been straightening for a while as it looked really odd curly.
    Anyway I was really missing my curls so for the first time last week I just let it do it's own thing & it looks OK, yay!
    Still a bit to go before I have a proper style, I'm aiming for something like this but where I'll manage to find a hairdresser to do it is anyone's guess.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dogatek.com.tr%2Fe%2Fgoldwell.html" class="Popup

So good luck ladies & the only advice I can give you & myself is to have patience, oh & a hair-band, I'm quite liking the skinny ones at the moment.
    U.K curly

3A Curly Twirly.
    Golden brown (coloured to cover grey).
    Low poo: Dr Organic, L'Oreal Everpure.
    Conditioner: Dr Organic Argan Oil.
    Leave In: Aussie, Curl Harmony.
    Gel: Curl Keeper Original, Umberto Gianni.
  • Chloe_s_MomChloe_s_Mom Posts: 48Registered Users
    I think that my last pixie cut was in July 2012. I thoroughly enjoyed my pixie for about 3 years but found some things annoying - the cost of a good hair cut, the frequency needed and how poorly it did in high humidity (namely our entire summer). Laziness and not wanting to spend so much on cuts made me decide to skip a couple of hair cuts. It was so nice to see curls again - I missed them (just not the crazy tight frizz)!

Here is my pixie in August 2012 (it had been growing for a month already):
    pixie_zps62b5bddd.jpg

I somehow resisted the urge to cut it for a few months (incredibly difficult), and only had the back (mullet) trimmed in the early winter.

A few months in, realizing that I needed to treat my hair better:

growingoutpixie_zps45790d82.jpg

So I started reading up on CG again and tossed out offending products. Here is my yucky phase:

growingout_startingCG_zps82925419.jpg

Ahh, my curls are (were?!) looking better:

march2013CG_zps81a14cca.jpg

Somehow, my hair is looking CRAZIER THAN EVER these days. I don't know if I am touching it a lot, too much bromine mist (hot tub every morning) or too much grey hair, but when I wake up, I look like Richard Simmons. It is a completely round halo of frizz.
    Growing out a pixie (last big cut July 2012)
    3a? 3b? Fine, dense. Porous.
    Finally sulfate free. Avoiding silicones.
    its looking great! thanks for the pics. seeing others and their progress helps me continue to grow thru this "ucky "stage. i just need to get thru the summer and i should be home free. u have had great progress. it really looks wonderful.thanks for sharing.
    Latest grow out pic. Rocking it big with the Quidad today!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366126139.887330.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And Chloe's Mom, trust me I get it. I went through what I call "the mad hatter" stage. Here's a pic for you so you don't feel so alone......ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366126267.380206.jpg
    Oh yea. Take it all in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Latest grow out pic. Rocking it big with the Quidad today!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366126139.887330.jpg

This is adorable. The color, the cut, the style. I love your avatar pic too. I'm jealous.

My grow out is one hot mess. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Chloe_s_MomChloe_s_Mom Posts: 48Registered Users
    And Chloe's Mom, trust me I get it. I went through what I call "the mad hatter" stage. Here's a pic for you so you don't feel so alone......ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366126267.380206.jpg
    Oh yea. Take it all in.

Thanks for the giggle Sky Diva! I have a photo with me pulling on a curl, wondering why on earth I am doing this to myself (scissors are whispering sweet nothings to me).

My daughters are now saying that I have crazy hair. Not sure if that is better or worse then when they would say that I looked like a man (thanks kids).
    Growing out a pixie (last big cut July 2012)
    3a? 3b? Fine, dense. Porous.
    Finally sulfate free. Avoiding silicones.