How do I get in shape?

SigiSigi Registered Users Posts: 2,379
I don't have a scale, but the last time I weighed myself I was 140, and I'm 5'3" with a small to medium frame. I want to drop quite a bit of weight. Before I had kids, I weighed 120-125. So I'd like to get within that range again, or whatever makes me comfortable. I just want to be fit and healthy.

I have stopped buying soda, with the exception of my lunch out on weekends. My weakness is coffee with two sugars and evaporated milk, which I drink many cups every day. I usually skip breakfast, eat a small lunch, and a big dinner. We don't really keep a lot of junk food around, but Iwent on a baking spree after i got a mixer for Christmas. That's died down so I'm not worried about baked goodies anymore. :lol:

I have a treadmill and some exercise dvds (specifically Billy Banks' Boot Camp) which I haven't made use of, but now I want to. Where do I start? I think I am pretty out of shape so I might need to start off light. The one time I was on the treadmill, I had a slight incline and kept increasing my speed and was only on for 15 mins before I had to get off. :oops: I just want to lose the flab and tone up! :D

If any one has any tips or advice, I'd appreciate it! :)

Comments

• riotkittyriotkitty Registered Users Posts: 1,307 Curl Connoisseur
    Your progress will go much faster if you add some resistance training to your routine, meaning weight-training. And no you won't get big, I train 4 times a week with heavy weights and am nowhere near "big". I would recommend getting a set of 3, 8, and 12 pound dumbells for an absolute beginner, and getting 5, 10, and 15 pound dumbells if you have some experience with weight work. If you can afford it, it doesnt hurt to get them all, and you dont have to buy them all at once.

Bands are good resistance for beginners and I think Billy Boot Camp uses them.

If you are looking for other videos I suggest collagevideo.com. They have reviews of all their videos and they have a 30 day return policy even on opened videos.

For weight begging weight training my favorite videos are:
    Get Ripped with Jari Love (this is awsome for the beginner--has a great tutorial on form)

Get Ripped Slim and Lean with Jari Love

The Firm: Super Body Sculpt

The Tae Bo videos are great for cardio, but I personally like step more, especially those by Cathe Friedrich. She also has some great weight/ resistance stuff. Most of her stuff is advanced but does have a few beginning videos:

Cathe Friedrich's Basic Step & Body Fusion
    Cathe Friedrich's Low Impact Step

For your treadmill workouts the only helpful suggestion I have is listen to your favorite music. Mix your music up as much as possible. My ipod is has been on of my best fitness investments. Try some interval training where you run for 1 minute and walk for 4. As you get stronger you can increase your running time and decrease your walking time. Also when the weather is warmer look for parks or even high school or college tracks to run/walk at. Doing the samething all the time will make you bored and make you lose your motivation.

Best fitness advice if you can afford it: Join a gym. A good one will give you lots of options and things to try.

As for your diet:
    Stop skipping breakfast! Breakfast is good for keeping up your metabolism, even if its just a protien bar or a yogurt. Try to eat most of your calories in the day, which might mean making breakfast or lunch your bigest meal of the day. Eat produce (im terrible about this), complex carbs and lean protien, and low or nonfat dairy. Limit simple carbs and high fat foods. As for your coffee, use artificial sweetner (I like Splenda) and nonfat creamer or skim milk. Take your vitamins and know your calorie limits.

Here's a link to a calculator to help you figure that out:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/calorie-calculator/NU00598

Remember that if you want to lose weight you should cut back 250 to 500 calories from your maintenace. I recommend doing this 6 days a week and having one day where you dont count. This keeps your metabolism from getting used to living at a lower calorie rate. Also it keeps you going into a crazy binge from depravation.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • SigiSigi Registered Users Posts: 2,379
    Thanks, Riotkitty! :D

I'll check out that link while my kids are napping. Unfortunately, the family budget is too tight for gym membership. I'll see about getting some of those weights this weekend too. Your advice is really helpful thanks again.
  • Who Me?Who Me? Registered Users Posts: 3,181
    If you want to really commit to getting fit, I suggest you don't do too much too fast. Weight training is great, but it can be overwhelming for a beginner.

I suggest you set your treadmill to a nice fast walking pace, maybe with a little bit of an incline, maybe not, and try to do it for 30 minutes. If it seems easy and you're not too sore the next day, increase the speed or the incline. It may take a few days to find a good pace and incline for you. (personally, I don't like much of an incline at all). Then, try to do it 5 days a week for a full week or two. If it starts to get easy, increase a little.

The key really is to not do something to difficult, or that will make you too sore, or too complicated, so you don't end up sticking to it.

Cutting out soda is a great step. You might also want to try logging everything you eat (and I mean EVERYTHING) for a few days to see if you have any easily-fixed pitfalls. You could try just writing it down on paper (what you ate, and how many calories), or use something like fitday.com or sparkpeople.com.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file