We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Is it tacky to wear...?

violetsviolets Posts: 1,689Registered Users
dark opaque tights with sling back shoes? They are not open toe, they are closed toe but open in the back.

I have a pair of shoes that I am dying to wear with a skirt they go perfect with, but it's getting kind of cold not to wear tights.

Suggestions and opinions
please!

Comments

• NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users
    Done right it's fine. Without seeing the combo with the outfit it's hard to say.
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    In general I think sling-back shoes should be worn with bare feet only, but that's just my taste.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,742Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yeah, what Nej said. My answer when breaking a fashion rule is usually: If it looks intentional it can look great. But if it looks like you just don't know better, then....maybe not.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't like slingbacks, so I don't own any, but I wear skirts with tights and open-back clogs quite often. If I'm breaking am arbitrary fashion rule...oh well...I just don't care. I like the look.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,983Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think it would look fine, but better if the tights and sling backs are the same or similar colors. I wouldn't, for example, wear black tights with beige sling backs.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    curlypearl wrote: »
    I think it would look fine, but better if the tights and sling backs are the same or similar colors. I wouldn't, for example, wear black tights with beige sling backs.

True. Color matters. I never like light shoes with dark tights, but dark shoes with light tights is OK. I only wear black/navy/dark-brown tights, and I match them to my shoes/skirt.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I think this looks good (black on black):

ff-olivia-munn-kinder-aggugini-impulse-dress.jpg

This doesn't look good to me (too much contrast):

IMG_7257.jpeg
  • violetsviolets Posts: 1,689Registered Users
    Ok then it looks like a no. The shoes are light beige and the tights are navy blue or even towards a slightly electric blue. The skirt is navy blue towards electric blue. The blouse is navy blue with other blues and tan/light brownish colors. The shoes match the colors of the shirt. Maybe I'll wear them without the tights. It's not that cold yet.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    violets wrote: »
    Ok then it looks like a no. The shoes are light beige and the tights are navy blue or even towards a slightly electric blue. The skirt is navy blue towards electric blue. The blouse is navy blue with other blues and tan/light brownish colors. The shoes match the colors of the shirt. Maybe I'll wear them without the tights. It's not that cold yet.

M, why don't you post a picture? Based on the description, though, I'm inclined to say no.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I think it depends. Generally, I think slingbacks are meant to be worn with bare legs or maybe with stockings, but I think they can work with tights if it's done in a deliberate way. I actually like the second picture for that reason. I don't think you should do it if your only reason is you're cold and you're not sure if it's OK or not.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users
    Yeah, what Nej said. My answer when breaking a fashion rule is usually: If it looks intentional it can look great. But if it looks like you just don't know better, then....maybe not.

Exactly. Not one of those things that's super black and white.
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif
  • susususu Posts: 767Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I actually love the second look! But I would say the first look is elegant / classic-looking, while the second is a bit more funky.
    medussa wrote: »
    I think this looks good (black on black):

ff-olivia-munn-kinder-aggugini-impulse-dress.jpg

This doesn't look good to me (too much contrast):

IMG_7257.jpeg
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users
    If it's a "delicate" kind of slingback; something with a thinner heel, I'd probably say no.

However, if it's a chunkier kind of shoe, I think it's fine. Not all trends should be followed, but it's sort of been a trend for the last couple of years to even wear tights with chunky sandals.
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    If the sling backs and tights are the same color, it might work.
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users
    I agree with susu and amneris about the 2nd photo.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    There are business-type, sleek, streamlined slingbacks that I think are designed to be worn in professional situations in warmer weather so you don't have open toes, which some people think is unprofessional. Those I think might look weird with dark tights, but it does depend on the shoe, the rest of the outfit and your general attitude/style. Then there are shoes like in the second picture that are funky and chunky and also have a slingback, and I think they are amenable to being worn with tights and with a less structured outfit. For some reason, your outfit sounds more office-y than funky to me, though I'd have to see it, and that to me suggests no tights.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I wear peeptoes and slingbacks all year long and do so w/ tights on the regular w/ then it's cool or cold out. I am wearing black slingbacks w/ black tights today.

I would also wear other color combinations, including black tights w/ brown slingbacks and gray tights w/ burgundy/oxblood slingbacks and a variety of other combos.

But no, I don't wear light beige shoes...unless they are nude sandals in the summer or clogs or boots w/ jeans.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file